www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Digital Experience > Lara Croft and Tomb Raider on iOS, Android and Windows Phone

Old 26-10-15, 23:16   #11
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
I don't understand how they can't port the game since TR3 was released for Mac so we could at least have a port for Iphone since it's designed for apple computers. People in here ported TR3 levels into the TR2 IOS app (not fully working because of missing animations for Lara like monkey swing)
And some people here port TR1 gold (PC) on PS1.

Source code is bull**** imo...
You're confusing things.

Macintosh systems at the time when Tomb Raider 3 was released were completely different to the hardware that is in iPhones today. It's technology that's a decade apart! There's no compatiblity.

Porting TR3 levels back to TR2 might be possible because the TR2 iOS executable uses the same format for levels as the PC counterpart of the game and the level format of TR2 and TR3 is similar - albeit it has certain big differences which would make it difficult to make conversions... I haven't seen a TR3 level running in TR2 on iOS, but if this has indeed been done then it is thanks to the similarity in level file format I mentioned. There are also level-editing tools available that can help making such conversions.

Porting TR1 Gold to PS1 was done through hacking of the PS1 version of the game's executable and using a self-made conversion tool to convert level files.

The reason they might not be able to or can't port the third game might be due to lack of proper source code for it. We know the company behind the first two ports has a proper source code for Tomb Raider 1 and most likely for Tomb Raider 2 as well in their possession, but we don't know for sure if they do or don't have the source code for further games. We know Eidos doesn't have the source code for pretty much any of the games, as former Core workers supposedly refused to hand those over. We also know VR-Tech developed the ports themselves and only presented their work to Eidos as an offer for the digital release and didn't share the source code with Eidos either. A former Core employee works for VR-Tech, which is how the Tomb Raider source codes might have found their way there.

As simple as it might seem, it turns out to be a pretty foggy situation for Tomb Raider ports.

Last edited by Dustie; 26-10-15 at 23:20.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 05:10   #12
_Alex_
Explorer

If they keep porting TR on iPhones, iPads, etc. then maybe by 2018 - 2019 we'll get TR AoD remastered! Right?
_Alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 07:53   #13
suisari

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Alex_ View Post
If they keep porting TR on iPhones, iPads, etc. then maybe by 2018 - 2019 we'll get TR AoD remastered! Right?
Angel of Darkness on iOS? Yuck!
suisari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 11:46   #14
matrix54
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
It would look so clustered tbh. It be borderline unplayable, so I don't see it happening. The controls are really bad for the TR1 and 2 ports and there is already so much info on the screen, imagine how it would look with new buttons for sprinting and crouching. TR3 has some pretty tight timed runs, so I can't imagine someone not wanting to tear their hair out using that god awful touchpad trying to complete them.
The second secret in Great Wall, which I can get no problem on any other platform, became the single hardest test I've ever had to do in my life on IOS.
Old 27-10-15, 13:19   #15
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

I almost cried out of frustation on TR1 because I couldn't pass the timed gates puzzle at Coliseum. Took me at least 2 and a half hours before I rage quit only to read the forums and discover that you need to use the side step buttons to turn around properly. A big and ugly F*** YOU to whoever thought it would be a good idea to make it like this and inform no one. And even so the controls still suck major donkey balls.

Also, the closing spiked doors have way too much reach. You don't even need to be touching them to die. Now that is some nice programming right there
Never again am I attempting to get the magnums at Palace Midas.
Old 27-10-15, 14:15   #16
_Alex_
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suisari View Post
Angel of Darkness on iOS? Yuck!
GTA was remastered for iOS. Maybe they could remaster AoD(meaning the COMPLETE version ) for iOS and possibly windows store. I don't think it would look that good on android.
_Alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-15, 15:54   #17
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

AOD,in my opinion,probably wouldn't be a good idea for iOS. I only say that for one reason... The controls. I think it'd be nearly impossible to play the game on an iPad,iPhone,etc. But that's just my opinion. For TR3 however,I don't think you'd wanna pull your hair out playing it on iOS. It's not THAT hard. I feel they should have an option for you to move around where you want your controls to be,so that way you're comfortable.
Old 27-10-15, 22:43   #18
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Thank you Dustle for the informations ! I didn't knew it was like that.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-15, 21:18   #19
Erikku
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
AOD,in my opinion,probably wouldn't be a good idea for iOS. I only say that for one reason... The controls. I think it'd be nearly impossible to play the game on an iPad,iPhone,etc. But that's just my opinion. For TR3 however,I don't think you'd wanna pull your hair out playing it on iOS. It's not THAT hard. I feel they should have an option for you to move around where you want your controls to be,so that way you're comfortable.
There is an option to move around the controls where you want them. Just go to the menu and then controls.
Erikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-15, 21:43   #20
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

Oops. Sorry,my bad.