www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-16, 01:02   #21
charmedangelin
Explorer
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Square Enix allowed TR9 to be a true triple A title, for that I think they deserve some praise. I don't think that would have happened under the old Eidos. It put TR back on the map.
And then they complained that it didn't sell enough; probably because they wanted to tell their Japanese stockholders that they didn't fail but that it was the fault of the Westeners and their silly Tomb Raider and Hitman games.

In the end, to the consumer a publisher of videogames is always a necessary evil.
I really don't understand how they can sit there and say that TR 2013 didn't sell. TR 2013 was trending all over the internet and sold way more copies then any of the other TRs before. If they wanted Rise to sell more then they shouldn't have agreed to that timed exclusive bs. It's like Microsoft and Square conspired to butcher the release of the game by making it exclusive to one system. I guarantee that Rise would have sold double if Square actually had faith in what they made instead of agreeing to go along with Microsoft's schemes.

Right now I can't stand Square, I absolutely love Square Enix Montreal for what they did with Lara Croft Go. They obviously knew exactly what this franchise is about, but Square itself has no clue and honestly probably don't even care. It's really sad that the game industry has come to a point where they care more about the sell then what there selling.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 10-06-16 at 01:09.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 09:42   #22
Nigel Cassidy
Professor
 
Nigel Cassidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I really don't understand how they can sit there and say that TR 2013 didn't sell. TR 2013 was trending all over the internet and sold way more copies then any of the other TRs before. If they wanted Rise to sell more then they shouldn't have agreed to that timed exclusive bs. It's like Microsoft and Square conspired to butcher the release of the game by making it exclusive to one system. I guarantee that Rise would have sold double if Square actually had faith in what they made instead of agreeing to go along with Microsoft's schemes.
The story goes, but I have absolutely no proof of this, that SE's Japanese franchises didn't do so well. Now of course in Japanese culture failure is unacceptable, so they blamed it on the western studios they bought from Eidos...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 10:13   #23
Shark_Blade
Legend
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 36,583
Default

Sadly yes SE is evil. The exclusivity deal is further proof of that among many others.

They don't care about the fans. Their greedy self interest is first and foremost. Disgusting.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 10:20   #24
charmedangelin
Explorer
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
The story goes, but I have absolutely no proof of this, that SE's Japanese franchises didn't do so well. Now of course in Japanese culture failure is unacceptable, so they blamed it on the western studios they bought from Eidos...
Oh sorry I meant in general. I didn't know it didn't sell well in Japan.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 10:22   #25
Heidi_w_
Professor
 
Heidi_w_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lara's Flat
Posts: 2,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I really don't understand how they can sit there and say that TR 2013 didn't sell. TR 2013 was trending all over the internet and sold way more copies then any of the other TRs before. If they wanted Rise to sell more then they shouldn't have agreed to that timed exclusive bs. It's like Microsoft and Square conspired to butcher the release of the game by making it exclusive to one system. I guarantee that Rise would have sold double if Square actually had faith in what they made instead of agreeing to go along with Microsoft's schemes.

Right now I can't stand Square, I absolutely love Square Enix Montreal for what they did with Lara Croft Go. They obviously knew exactly what this franchise is about, but Square itself has no clue and honestly probably don't even care. It's really sad that the game industry has come to a point where they care more about the sell then what there selling.
The thing with TR2013 is that unlike a lot of games it had surprising staying power, continuing to sell well several months beyond its release date. So yeah, it might not have sprung out of the gates like a gaming Secretariat, but it finished well in the end.

As for Eidos Montreal, I should go have a peek and see what they're up to....they're just an hour from here
__________________
Sam Nishimura's shield maiden and pillow fluffer aboard the SS Endurance
Heidi_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 12:41   #26
pipermaru
Archaeologist
 
pipermaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brazil ♀
Posts: 1,908
Default

I agree with OP and I also think Square Enix doesn't give the designers, directors, writers and programmers the freedom they need.

Crystal Dynamics is a studio full of talented people but they seem to have their creativity and experimentation pushed back by The Powers That Be. This affects the franchise negatively. The games are polished and well executed, but lack soul.
__________________
I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me a dinosaur...
pipermaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 12:46   #27
Zebra
Tomb Raider
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 24,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermaru View Post
I agree with OP and I also think Square Enix doesn't give the designers, directors, writers and programmers the freedom they need.

Crystal Dynamics is a studio full of talented people but they seem to have their creativity and experimentation pushed back by The Powers That Be. This affects the franchise negatively. The games are polished and well executed, but lack soul.
I'm not so sure whether the lead designers and higher-ups at Crystal aren't doing that themselves TBH. I often refer to that one instance where they talked about them deciding to change Ascension into what we ended up getting with the 2013 game because they thought their original idea wouldn't be able to win any GOTY awards. Now, of course, it's possible that SE was part of those discussions but it sounded to me more like it was a decision Crystal made themselves.
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 13:03   #28
Lara's home
Relic Hunter
 
Lara's home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,971
Default

Besides the Rise fiasco, which I know too little about, and that they were unsatisfied with TR2013's sales, I'm very pleased with them.

TR was in a rut, quality wise, and despite what people think of the change of tone, I doubt anyone can disagree that the overall quality of the games improved drastically. Not to mention the insane PR compaign TR2013 got.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 13:14   #29
Zebra
Tomb Raider
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 24,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
Besides the Rise fiasco, which I know too little about, and that they were unsatisfied with TR2013's sales, I'm very pleased with them.

TR was in a rut, quality wise, and despite what people think of the change of tone, I doubt anyone can disagree that the overall quality of the games improved drastically. Not to mention the insane PR compaign TR2013 got.
Meh. The narrative quality is as bad as it was when Square bought Eidos, the game design is mostly generic and uninspired (though a lot of the mechanics in and of themselves are well-designed),... I suppose the games are more polished now (though I think the only pre-Square Crystal TR game that was unpolished was Underworld) and perhaps more graphically advanced relative to the competition than the previous Crystal TR games? (But again, Anniversary and Legend had pretty good graphics considering they were PS2 games.)
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?

Last edited by Zebra; 10-06-16 at 13:17.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 13:44   #30
Lara's home
Relic Hunter
 
Lara's home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,971
Default

True. However, both the camera and amount of bugs have gotten a lot of flac in the LAU triology. I think Reboots story is okay, but Rise improved significantly (Still lots of room for improvement, though).
Legend started out with an incredibly story, and Anniversary was decent enough. Underworld was mostly **** with a few amazing moments (Doppleganger related, most of the time).

So in the story department, I'm with you on the "meh", but I saw a great improvement, and I still think the overall quality of thje Rebooted games is a significant improvement.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 19:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.