www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 29-11-16, 20:22   #71
Blue_light
Explorer

It wasn't my definition of "Tomb Raider-ish", but I do love the level design, and how each section is unique. A bit too easy, and would love to skip cutscenes, but I still enjoyed it.
Old 30-11-16, 03:58   #72
Rai

I like half of it: Rome and Ireland. I've seen some people say Rome is dull, but I like the quiet atmosphere. But I question the training area. I mean, what is that? You go in and there's machinery and equipment. Is it some odd building site? It doesn't really fit the Rome setting. Although the mechanical snakes boss is an interesting idea, it's a pain in the arse to play with jumping from side to side while shooting for an absolute age.

Ireland is spooky and so atmospheric. It also shows young Lara being scared yet resourceful, so getting through her adventure using what she can find and braving up. I prefer this young Lara to the little madam in Cambodia. To me, she's much more believable as an inexperienced explorer just at the beginning of her raiding lifestyle.

I can just about tolerate the sub levels. It's kinda clever having the wrecked version and trying to get passed the cables.

VCI can sod off . I didn't even bother playing them when I replayed TRC recently.
Old 01-12-16, 22:50   #73
Laralicious
Explorer

Just thought that I'd add my thoughts in.

I adore Tomb Raider Chronicles but I can see why it isn't exactly a Tomb Raider game, especially as it is the follow on from TR4, a game almost completely set in tombs.

But TRC is a short and enjoyable game for me. It always reminds me of summer, (must have been when I first played it) especially the Rome levels due to its gorgeous colours and the ambiance soundtrack. Even just listening to that track makes me happy. And running around each level, you can see new things that the developers added, such as the new skills of tightrope walking, the jump out of a crawl space animation, the new outfits (my favourite outfit is the snowsuit outfit. I loved it so much that I actually made myself a Lara snowsuit a couple of years ago). And each section of the game is the right length; although I could play a couple more levels in the Rome setting, I wouldn't want to play anymore in the Ireland and VCI levels.

In fact, the VCI levels are my worst levels but I love the inclusion of Zip. It's great to see Lara communicating with others, even if she is a little cheeky.

So all in all, there isn't much that I dislike about this game, it is definitely one of my favourites and although there is a lack of dusty, ancient tombs, I just enjoyed running around with Lara.
Laralicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 23:54   #74
trfan16
Explorer

It's my second least favorite Classic game in the series after AOD. It felt like we got "TRIV: Gold" with this game. I don't really like the anthology concept in a TR game. I prefer to keep my inventory and play through one story. The only section I liked from this game was Ireland. The other sections were mediocre or bland.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 00:01   #75
Classic98

^ aye, it's a bit short.
Classic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 05:11   #76
thabani33
Explorer

Am I the only one who enjoyed the VCI levels? I know they're far from being tombs but what I like about VCI is the length and the challenge, the stealth gameplay and platforming, some enemies were cool and some were annoying like the security guards who would appear in areas where you are unarmed. The environments were well designed but I felt they could have included a playable exterior rooftop section when Lara escapes the building with the iris. The communication between Lara and Zip was good and a nice touch that was carried over to Legend.

I didn't encounter any bugs in my PC version, aside from the dialog audio that kept on cutting at the end. One thing that bothered me was the inconsistencies between FMV Lara and in-game Lara in the VCI level. In the FMV she is wearing transparent glasses while in the game they're pitch dark. Her outfit is a bit different between the two models and her body physique seems to be much slimmer in-game than in the FMV. I heard in the earlier TR games a different studio was creating the FMV cutscenes, so was it the same case with the FMVs in Chronicles?

Last edited by thabani33; 02-12-16 at 05:12.
thabani33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 05:37   #77
Dimitriy
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
Am I the only one who enjoyed the VCI levels? I know they're far from being tombs but what I like about VCI is the length and the challenge, the stealth gameplay and platforming, some enemies were cool and some were annoying like the security guards who would appear in areas where you are unarmed. The environments were well designed but I felt they could have included a playable exterior rooftop section when Lara escapes the building with the iris. The communication between Lara and Zip was good and a nice touch that was carried over to Legend.
Your not the only one, cuz I love dem too very much. I remember how excited I was when I first played the VCI levels in TR5 when I was a child. Whole environment felt so badass. Actually that section is one of the best in the classic series. You can do so many things. Its exciting, thrilling.
Dimitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 15:39   #78
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and TR's 1 through 6 and the 4 classic expansions

I like the VCI levels the best also. They feel like lara is in a good high tech environment just like nevada from TR3.
Old 08-12-16, 10:02   #79
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Even though the levels are short which is the main criticism of the game, overall, it is a great game due to having independent and very interesting stories that tell about Lara life.

From a technical point of view, TRC had reached a stage of being able to cram loads of data into the data file, to create stunning levels, baddies and puzzles, it was the peak of the classic games engine, as the game engine changed when we went to AOD.

One downside of TRC's large data files from a modding perspective, is that it limits the amount of modding that can be done on a data file before crashing, and there is one level (the spooky island level with the water witch under the windmill) that just cannot be modded at all, because it is too full of data, it cannot take any changes.

Chi's sneaky TRC modding tips....
The other levels I found could be modded slightly before they crash, and the way I got round TRC modding on my youtube videos, was to use multiple versions of the same level with a bit of modding done in each to prevent crashing. This created what looked like a lot of modding in the video, though viewers did not know it was made using lots of the same level, he he.

Last edited by The Great Chi; 08-12-16 at 10:06.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 06:43   #80
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

What do i think about TR Chronicles?

Despite being completely different from previous games, in level design, and to some degree in puzzles, i loooove it, it was my PSX farewell game, one of the very lasts that i've beaten on my old console back in 2000-2001 before moving away to PC :P

I must say that i definately loooove it
It has this charm, some sort of magical atmosphere, everytime i replay it, it feels "christmasy" to me for some strange reason. And to me it has the best urban levels in any TR.
This game feels sort of like a collection of favorite bedtime stories.
The first time i played it was at the end of fall, beginning of winter so i've spent countless hours on rainy/snowy days, being home alone,
sometimes being stuck on some puzzles, because they took me by surprise back then, i was so used to the classical style of puzzles form previous titles, but i liked it, it was fun, and challenging, but not frustrating, and i'm replaying it, or re-watching from time to time, and it still holds up, in my opinion ; } Wonderful farewell gift from CORE team, even though the production was very forced. It holds a very special place for games, in my heart ;D

Last edited by Felix Kroft; 10-12-16 at 06:44.
Felix Kroft is offline   Reply With Quote