www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 16-10-16, 06:38   #1
sirkenneth
Hobbyist

Default What if the old Core Design team used one of the level editors and posted new stuff?

As a new member I'm not allowed to post petitions or links (guess you've had a lot of spam over the years). Anyway, it occurred to me that because of the level editor that came with Chronicles, any member of the public can post a level on line, and Square Enix can't do anything about it.

For the 10th anniversary, Core started making a new game (was it for the PSP?) but it was instantly trampled on by Eidos. For the 20th (and probably spilling over to the 21st) anniversary, I thought it would be a good opportunity to bring some publicity back to the people who started all this with a little bit of new content. If some of them used the level editor that came with Chronicles, maybe the Next Gen editor that came later, or maybe even their old dev kit, they could post at trle.net, and Eidos wouldn't be allowed to touch it.

My other motivation for this idea is to bring people's attention to the level editor. I think it largely went unnoticed by the general public that this even exists. I've got a few level ideas and I'm sure most TR fans do as well.

The trle users recommended TRF as the best spot for some form of appeal/petition. What do you guys think?
sirkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-16, 06:57   #2
Boobandie
Professor

Some ex core members HAVE made and posted TRLE levels. I can't remember which ones, maybe another member will link them.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-16, 07:31   #3
sirkenneth
Hobbyist

hell yeeah! bring the links!
sirkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 00:31   #4
dinne
Historian

^ OMG, WHO?
Please tell me.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 00:44   #5
Caesum
Tomb Raider

The only one I know of is Tomb of Nelomgals, but it was not made by the Core team from Derby. The author is Gary LaRochelle, who worked on TR Gold games.

Also the level was originaly done for testing TRLE while writing manual, so it doesn't have any grand views or anything original. It's just a test level that was later turned into a playable one.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 16:17   #6
Hazelphoenix
Explorer

Just out of genuine curiosity: are you the one who started that petition? If so, kudos to you.

This actually isn't impossible from a practical point of view, they would be entirely free to create what they like without any kind of restrictions and it could result in something potentially great - with all the limitations of the level editor, yes, but still. Core's creativity knows no boundaries.

Ash from Tomb of Ash actually asked some of the Core D members attending Play Expo in Manchester last year whether they would be willing to at least consider this or not, and all them said yes. Now I don't know if they were genuinely interested in this suggestion or they agreed out of fear of letting down classic fans in that particular occasion, but I truly hope it can happen somehow
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 22:07   #7
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

I'd LOVE to play a NG custom game made by Core themselves !
Old 05-01-17, 06:23   #8
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

I personally would prefer it if they were open to a kickstarter to fund a new IP from them with an awesome female lead. Asking them to spend tons of time making a level editor game for free is almost insulting in a way, considering they have enough talent to make something bigger. I'd totally pitch in for the cause.
Old 05-01-17, 16:47   #9
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

lol they will never make a whole game for free.

Maybe they could do some sort of short demo but to be honest, Tomb-of-ash asked them on camera and they did not look very confortable with the idea.

I don't think we will get something like this someday !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 17:49   #10
Portugalraider
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I personally would prefer it if they were open to a kickstarter to fund a new IP from them with an awesome female lead.
OMG yes! I would love to see (and fund) such a game!