www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 20-10-16, 03:59   #21
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroft1997 View Post
nothing lasts forever
Neveeeerrr!!
Old 20-10-16, 04:13   #22
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
So what for you, is the anchor? Is there something that you don't want them to remove?
Not really. As long as it's not unrecognizable in the sequel, I'm pretty much fine with whatever changes they make. More focus on puzzles would be great, and a less generic story as well.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 04:19   #23
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
Not really. As long as it's not unrecognizable in the sequel, I'm pretty much fine with whatever changes they make. More focus on puzzles would be great, and a less generic story as well.
So change things but don't change things?

I think there must be a stronger anchor for you than that.

What about skipping the story in general. Lose the cutscenes and just stick to the gameplay in the hubs?
Old 20-10-16, 04:27   #24
Lio123
Explorer

It depends, some people are tired of zombies specially me, zombies are in a lot of games this days if not all of them, including TR so it wont surprise me if the sales for the next game go down because of lack of originality. Zombies seem to be the main objective for the next game so i say the next one would probably be the last one, or maybe they would just push the reboot to get as much money as they can and then make a new one later.
Lest be honest the story for this reboot is all over the place, nothing is perfect but damn, like some people pointed out, Lara goes to College and yet she has problems understanding other languages, the fact that in both games we need to equip or self and craft weapons is stupid, that's the last thing i want to do for the 3 time.I mean i don't mind finding one or two weapons put don't let me start the game with just a few stuff, it gets repetitive and boring, like what does Lara do with all the weapons she finds after a game ends, sell them? The lack of unprofessional is far to strong.

Last edited by Lio123; 20-10-16 at 04:31.
Lio123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 04:54   #25
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

Quote:
So change things but don't change things?

I think there must be a stronger anchor for you than that.

What about skipping the story in general. Lose the cutscenes and just stick to the gameplay in the hubs?
I don't have a specific anchor I'm attached to. I want a similar, but not the same experience as the last game.
They can't really change the story-telling now, as it's a triology, and having the third installment have no story would not make any sense. Less story/cutscenes would be fine with me, but they can't remove it. They will have to go for stand-alone titles if that's their approach.

Last edited by Lara's home; 20-10-16 at 04:57.
Old 20-10-16, 05:16   #26
Kapu
Professor

I haven't finished Rise yet (just under half way), and frankly I'm already a little bored. If the next Tomb Raider game continues the evolution we see from TR2013 to Rise (bigger hubs, tons more crap to collect, added side quests, less combat, etc) then I will certainly be sick of the reboot by game three. Maybe not "sick of it," but uninterested.

Again, I'm still working on Rise, so it's a bit too early for me to give a definitive opinion. But from what I've seen, Rise brings Tomb Raider a step closer to being an open world game. It's not there yet, but the expansion of the hubs and the addition of side missions/quests certainly contribute to an open-world feel. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of open world. There are a lot of excellent open world games out there (Red Dead Redemption, GTA5 and the like come to mind), but it's just not my cup of tea. It seems that when I'm presented with tons of things to do in a game, I wind up doing nothing. The obvious downside to that, in the case of TR, is that you can't upgrade anything (skills, equipment, weapons) if you ignore the side stuff and just plow straight through the story.

I think Crystal could probably squeeze out one or two more TRs following the reboot formula before some kind of change up will be necessary. A lot of the response to Rise has been positive - people like what's been expanded on from the reboot as well as the new additions. But it's a really interesting question: how long can you keep churning out the same gameplay before people get bored? Sales figures from the classic TRs seems to suggest four games was about the max. Chronicles sold about a third of what The Last Revelation did (~1.5 million copies vs. ~4.5 million). Of course, the gaming world is a much different place than it was back in the days of the PS1, so perhaps this isn't the best comparison. Crystal's previous effort only lasted 3 games. Hopefully the reboot formula will fare better; we'll see!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 05:22   #27
larafan25
Legend

About Crystal's previous effort:

Like... wasn't there something spooky about TRU? I mean. We all know, without second thoughts, what happened with AOD. But is it as clear that TRU is a miss as well? Because to me, it doesn't provide that same enjoymeny Legend and Anniversary provided.

So can we accurately say that the interest faded after 3 games. Or more that they kinda ****ed the third game up, and moved on?

That's the way I view it.
Old 20-10-16, 05:56   #28
Kapu
Professor

Default @^

I'm in complete agreement with you there. TRU was a huge miss for me. It was the "Angel of Darkness" of Crystal's TR series: overly ambitious, terribly executed.

In my eyes, it was definitely a screw-up-and-move-on type of game. Was it the inevitable nail in the LAU coffin? I don't think it had to be; TRL and TRA were good games in their own right. TRU was not a good game in any right. In fact, I almost feel like the Legend-continuum would have ended up very similarly to the current reboot series if Crystal had continued to make TR their own way, without listening to any fan feedback. Some people are really hard on the Crystal team, but there is no denying that they listen to what the fans ask for and try to implement some of it. I mean they killed Alistair in TRU for us, after all.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-16, 06:44   #29
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

Quote:
About Crystal's previous effort:

Like... wasn't there something spooky about TRU? I mean. We all know, without second thoughts, what happened with AOD. But is it as clear that TRU is a miss as well? Because to me, it doesn't provide that same enjoymeny Legend and Anniversary provided.

So can we accurately say that the interest faded after 3 games. Or more that they kinda ****ed the third game up, and moved on?

That's the way I view it.
TR:U was a bigger scope compared to the others and, like Core (though not as severe), CD were most likely rushed. The quality drop between TR:L and TR:U is noticable.
Old 20-10-16, 18:58   #30
Revenge
Archaeologist

Quote:
The rest of the game that was present prior to the additions. That is what stayed.

I mean.

Right now I'm being told "the classic games changed"

yet these are the same games that "didn't change enough and got stale".

IDK. It's confusing.
Some people say Classic TRs were always changing, some say they didn't change enough and were always the same. And that's what I like about Tomb Raider tbh, they always try different stuff but keep a core (lol pun) of elements that still make the Tomb Raider feel, in my opinion.

For the reboot, I feel that the next TR is the last CD is going to make. They made 6 TR games, like Core did, it's a lot, they've been working on TR for more than 10 damn years, they will probably move to other games after the next one. Hopefully the franchise is going to be taken by other developpers, and what they will make with TR is completely unknown.