www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28-11-16, 10:40   #21
Nigel Cassidy
Professor
 
Nigel Cassidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Im sorry but my english might not be as good as i thought, because this sounds like it makes little sense.

You know it is not the game you expect/want, that is not even targeted to be this game...and for that you criticize it?
Maybe i missunderstand your point, but this sounds weird.
It may sound weird to you, but it makes perfect sense to me.

If they called it: 'Crypt Creeper, the irritating adventures of Catfish Jellybean', which is what I call it by the way, then I would have simply said: I am no fan of your Crypt Creeper game, please make Tomb Raider again.
But now they pretend that it is a Tomb Raider game with some changes. So now I'll point out that it is missing key elements that make a game a Tomb Raider game to me, and therefore doesn't deserve the names of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft as far as I'm concerned.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 19:40   #22
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter
 
Mr GaGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Augusta, Georgia. USA
Posts: 6,665
Default

I disagree, I like the new iteration of Lara Croft and I'm glad they didn't make a new character because it wouldn't be the game I spent 20 years loving. That is my stance and I will defend it.

You may continue hating on Reboot Lara now
__________________
"I was always Queen, it was you that added the evil"- Regina Mills
Mr GaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 21:19   #23
lizardspock110
Archaeologist
 
lizardspock110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
I disagree, I like the new iteration of Lara Croft and I'm glad they didn't make a new character because it wouldn't be the game I spent 20 years loving. That is my stance and I will defend it.

You may continue hating on Reboot Lara now
You know... I really love reboot Lara's look, maybe even more than classic lara hahaha

Some people say that this Lara would be better off as a new character, but I don't really get it because she still raids tombs and does archaeology, wouldn't it seem too much like a rip off. Maybe she could just raid caves then lol
lizardspock110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-16, 19:13   #24
larafan25
Legend
 
larafan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 67,515
Default

To what extent does something have to be similar for it to be a rip-off? And to what extent does something have to be similar for it to be the same?

Most video game characters are humans, so there's a bit too much of a similarity there. Most of these humans are men, so there's a bit too much of a similarity there. Most of these human, men are soldiers, so there's a bit too much of a similarity there. Most of them are shooting each other and trying to end some evil thing. So there is some more similarity.

And so according to the incredibly vague way in which y'all view Lara Croft's character, yes, another female character who explores the world for stuff is a bit too similar.

Not assuming she had a personality that mattered...

...

or was taken into consideration...

...
__________________
A famous explorer once said, explore almost everything, stop at invisible walls

Last edited by larafan25; 30-11-16 at 19:14. Reason: nice hair
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-16, 21:34   #25
redfox45
Historian
 
redfox45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Temple of Xian
Posts: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock110 View Post
You know... I really love reboot Lara's look, maybe even more than classic lara hahaha

Some people say that this Lara would be better off as a new character, but I don't really get it because she still raids tombs and does archaeology, wouldn't it seem too much like a rip off. Maybe she could just raid caves then lol
Well I mean looking back at the series the name "tomb raider" was really only relevant for the first game until IV. As pedantic as that is of me to point out.

The concept I had in my head at the time was The conceptual opposite to Lara, a hispanic-american orphan with a very dark past. Maybe someone who spent most of her life living hard without a home or a family.
And through some *shrug* circumstance winds up in a similar situation only instead she is someone who Sam has taken under her wing, happy to be on the trip but totally uninterested in the mythological/archaeological side of things.
And from there you could tell the story of not a boffin who learns to become a hard edged survivor, but the story of someone who is already a hard edged survivor who has her world opened up to a something she develops a great passion for.
Then the focus of the story isn't how many horrible things she can inflict/suffer but of someone finding her calling in life, how she goes from skeptical realist to someone who realizes she wants to become a "tomb raider"
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 05:57   #26
SamCactus101
Professor
 
SamCactus101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Posts: 4,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
THIS 100%.

If all this bashing, all this bitterness and frustration, all this fighting etc...is really coming from the place of thinking that the reboot is done to "Erase" the classic Tomb Raider...then we all have wasted too much time arguing.

Because it is impossible to erase the past, no matter what.
And also, CD doesnt want to rewrite THE Classic Lara Croft.
If they wanted to do that, they wouldnt allow the old games to be on steam, they wouldnt have done the whole 20th anniversary thing, they wouldnt have allowed the classic skins to be in the game and all the easter eggs to the classics.
They wouldnt sell the classics on smartphone, ps/xbox store, the wouldnt hire a developer and do those co-op games.

Tomb Raider is a bit like a comic book universe, and currently it has 3 different universes.
The original, the one where games like underworld exist, and the Rise universe(maybe we should come up with a different name then the reboot universe...i get why "reboot" throws fans off)

It is like the DC universe, where you have currently 52 universes.
You have 52 versions of Batman, all are completely different but in their own way they are still Batman.
Because they have certain key elements about them that all of them have in common and make them this character.

Same goes for the Tomb Raider series.
The two CD versions are different, but they are on their very own...about Lara Croft.

so if it is really "just" about the fear of this "new" universe Erasing the classics, this fear is completely Unnecessary.
This!
__________________
~~*Set out. Make your own mark on the world. Make your adventures count!*~~
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-16, 19:36   #27
HRHCroft
Explorer
 
HRHCroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock110 View Post
Some people say that this Lara would be better off as a new character, but I don't really get it because she still raids tombs and does archaeology, wouldn't it seem too much like a rip off. Maybe she could just raid caves then lol
I've said this before, but I firmly believe had "TR2013" been released under a different title (something like "Survivor"), without the Lara Croft character name, and a slightly different looking protagonist, comparisons to "Tomb Raider" would've been scant from the majority.

I would think of "TR" watching footage from one of the "Uncharted" games moreso than I would've from the reboot.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 02:20   #28
ancientIo
Explorer
 
ancientIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: beside myself
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock110 View Post
You know... I really love reboot Lara's look, maybe even more than classic lara hahaha

Some people say that this Lara would be better off as a new character, but I don't really get it because she still raids tombs and does archaeology, wouldn't it seem too much like a rip off. Maybe she could just raid caves then lol
Lara is more than an archeologist. She's charming and a little spiteful. She's adventurous and yet a loner. Imagine if Nathan Drake was still basically an orphan who looks for relics but instead of a friendly, playful, tough person, he's cold, criminally insane and a loner. It would still be different his past defining personality traits wouldn't be there anymore.

I don't think reboot Lara is completely far off from the past. If you take Legend re-imagined bio into account reboot Lara is still technically Lara in essence.

Legend: Lara's father, Richard is an archeologist. He died and Lara's mother went missing. They share a close bond and his death contributed to Lara becoming an archeologist. Lara went to University and has a degree in archeology and she's trying to find out what happened to her parents while doing some other stuff.

Reboot: Lara's father, Richard is an archeologist. He and Lara's mother went missing. They share a close bond and his influence contributed to Lara becoming an archeologist. Lara went to University and has a degree in archeology and she's trying to find out what happened to her parents while doing some other stuff.

I'm not saying she isn't totally different than Classic, in fact she's the opposite in alot of ways. But unfaithful to her direct predecessor she is not. If anything Legend Lara is a completely new character onward.

Last edited by ancientIo; 18-12-16 at 02:24.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 02:26   #29
larafan25
Legend
 
larafan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 67,515
Default

Yeah.

Crystal chose... ... astonishingly, to reboot the series again with a biography more in-line with the other incorrect bio, the Legend one. I wonder why they did that.

I wonder why, like two magnets repelling, Crystal Dynamics have no interest in Tomb Raider?

"Some answers people aren't obliged to say i think"

- The girl with the dull-brunette Ponytail
__________________
A famous explorer once said, explore almost everything, stop at invisible walls
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 02:33   #30
Nigel Cassidy
Professor
 
Nigel Cassidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientIo View Post
I'm not saying she isn't totally different than Classic, in fact she's the opposite in alot of ways. But unfaithful to her direct predecessor she is not. If anything Legend Lara is a completely new character onward.
Naming a few similarities doesn't make for a similar character overall. As far as I'm concerned the differences between Core Lara and LAU Lara are insignificant compared to Catfish (or AoD Lara for that matter).
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.