www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures > Tomb Raider Films

Old 31-10-16, 14:45   #11
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave_pulsar00 View Post
You know exactly what I meant when I made that post. I don't want them doing something like adding some random blonde haired white girl to be Lara's friend. AKA I don't want them to whitewash the cast.
Actually, no. Nothing in your post hinted at you referring to white-washing and I genuinely did not know that that's what you were referring to. That being said, I agree that they should keep a certain ethnic diversity to the crew but I don't really care how they distribute it among them and whether they stick to the specific characters that were in the game (well, unless they actually copy the two-dimensional personalities they had in the game, in which case I'd actually prefer them to replace them with new characters).

Quote:
Also, you are simplifying Sam's character way too much. She was shown several times as being a good friend to Lara, including standing up to Reyes on Lara's behalf. Beyond that, Sam picked up a gun a killed a few Solarii without resorting to tears. Did she get kidnapped one too many times? Without question! Obviously, I would like that changed.
I didn't say that she never did anything but get kidnapped or that she was always a helpless victim. I do know that those things happened in the game but even so I still think that her character didn't really have any depth to it.
Old 31-10-16, 15:45   #12
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
They should really cast the lady from Suicide Squad.

Karen Fukuhara I think her name is, she'd be literally perfect and I can actually picture liking her depending on the script if they choose her.
http://www.media2.hw-static.com/medi...mdb-020116.jpg
She was on my radar as a potential Sam even before Suicide Squad, so I'd be ecstatic if she was their pick -- definitely don't want them to "whitewash" her character ala Ghost in the Shell's ScarlettGate...
Old 31-10-16, 15:55   #13
Portugalraider
Explorer

Quote:

Karen Fukuhara I think her name is, she'd be literally perfect and I can actually picture liking her depending on the script if they choose her.
Yes, please! Katana was really underused on Suicide Squad, but I think she was really well casted.

But I don't see Sam not being just anything other than the Damsel in Distress like in the game, the book and the 1st comic arc. I do hope they give her, at least in the beginning, more of her supposed outgoing party-girl personality. And make her not be just useless. Maybe show her trying to escape, even if she fails.
Old 31-10-16, 17:05   #14
shockwave_pulsar00
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Actually, no. Nothing in your post hinted at you referring to white-washing and I genuinely did not know that that's what you were referring to. That being said, I agree that they should keep a certain ethnic diversity to the crew but I don't really care how they distribute it among them and whether they stick to the specific characters that were in the game (well, unless they actually copy the two-dimensional personalities they had in the game, in which case I'd actually prefer them to replace them with new characters).

I didn't say that she never did anything but get kidnapped or that she was always a helpless victim. I do know that those things happened in the game but even so I still think that her character didn't really have any depth to it.

We have had "discussions" back and forth on this topic before in the general movie thread about the characters. I know you've seen me repeatedly post that I don't think they should stray from the cast too much. My post was pretty clear. My main point was, I didn't want them to invent a new character to be her friend. The white washing part is just what normally happens with Hollywood when they do these things.

As for your thoughts on Sam:

Quote:
There's barely anything to her they could use, I mean, hell, her one defining character trait is "constantly gets kidnapped".
You've pretty much said exactly that.

Anyways, there is no point in going on about it anymore because I know we wont agree.

Last edited by shockwave_pulsar00; 31-10-16 at 17:08.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-16, 18:18   #15
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
We have had "discussions" back and forth on this topic before in the general movie thread about the characters. I know you've seen me repeatedly post that I don't think they should stray from the cast too much. My post was pretty clear. My main point was, I didn't want them to invent a new character to be her friend. The white washing part is just what normally happens with Hollywood when they do these things.
Honestly, my memory isn't the best and I don't remember many of the specific discussions I've had on here so while yes, I do remember posting stuff about this topic before, I wouldn't be able to say what exactly I said or who else took part in those discussions (let alone what all of their individual viewpoints were). That's my bad for not remembering, though, so I do apologise. (And yeah, that's what I thought your main point was but your other post made it sound like the white-washing was your main point. But then it seems like it was just a misunderstanding because you thought I still remembered your posts from other threads.)

Quote:
As for your thoughts on Sam:

You've pretty much said exactly that.
I said it was her defining "character trait", I didn't say it was the only thing she ever did.
Old 31-10-16, 19:58   #16
shockwave_pulsar00
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Honestly, my memory isn't the best and I don't remember many of the specific discussions I've had on here so while yes, I do remember posting stuff about this topic before, I wouldn't be able to say what exactly I said or who else took part in those discussions (let alone what all of their individual viewpoints were). That's my bad for not remembering, though, so I do apologise. (And yeah, that's what I thought your main point was but your other post made it sound like the white-washing was your main point. But then it seems like it was just a misunderstanding because you thought I still remembered your posts from other threads.)

I said it was her defining "character trait", I didn't say it was the only thing she ever did.

Well either, if she is in the movie...hopefully they can make a version of Sam you like better. I guess that goes for all those who dislike Sam as well.
Old 31-10-16, 20:39   #17
Yeauxleaux
Student

Quote:

I don't know much about her acting but she is so cute

I do hope they use the movie as a way of exploring Sam's character more though. I do agree, to me she did lack strong personal traits in the game. She was basically a damsel in distress trope, and that only slipped under the selective feminist radar because the protagonist is also female.

I don't dislike Sam though, purely because there wasn't enough there to dislike.
Old 31-10-16, 21:15   #18
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Well either, if she is in the movie...hopefully they can make a version of Sam you like better. I guess that goes for all those who dislike Sam as well.
Fair enough. If she's in the movie, I just hope that they won't include the cringe-worthy stuff with her supposedly being a descendant of Himiko . (Sorry if we've also already talked about that .)
Old 31-10-16, 22:03   #19
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I want a thrilling, spooky story. That's it.

Something unsettling about ancient mysteries or finds..................
Old 31-10-16, 22:19   #20
lizardspock110

Quote:

Yes! But I NEED Reyes to be in this film. And Jonah.
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote