www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Digital Experience > Lara Croft and Tomb Raider on iOS, Android and Windows Phone

Old 07-12-16, 05:40   #11
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

I bought it, tried it, and mostly like it. I think the price is justified for a game like this; screw online game stores for making us all expect great games for nothing. When it comes to system requirements, I have no idea what they were smoking when they wrote that. I'm running this on a six-year old iMac, and it looks perfectly with no frame rate drop or anything. I have no idea what this game even could do differently with a better GPU; there's no sliders for anything but resolution. All in all pretty good, except for one tiny issue:

It's basically unplayable. The game does not work with a keyboard. You can use the keyboard to scroll through the menu, but not to actually move Lara on the screen. The game does not work with a gamepad either. Weirdly enough, button prompts do show up in the main menu, but the game does not actually react if you press these buttons, or any other for that manner. The only way to play this game is via mouse. To do this, you have to drag the mouse a little in the direction you want Lara to move. That was a good choice for a mobile game that is operated with a touch screen. With a mouse, it's completely insufferable.

I could imagine the lack of controller support on Mac is a bug, after all the steam page says it's supposed to support them. If they ever fix that, then I might recommend it for people who have a controller. But right now, restricted to the horrible mouse interface, it's a waste of money. Really sad; I liked the iOS version and I was looking forward to seeing the graphics in full detail on a huge screen.
Old 07-12-16, 08:41   #12
kacpy
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
It's basically unplayable. (...) With a mouse, it's completely insufferable.
While I can understand the frustration (coming from the game not including your favorite control scheme) the game is fully playable with said mouse. Just finished it without any problems. I'd go as far as saying the mouse controls felt intuitive.
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 08:55   #13
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I bought it, tried it, and mostly like it. I think the price is justified for a game like this; screw online game stores for making us all expect great games for nothing.
I definitely think the game is worth paying a fair price for (I've already bought it on iOS, Google Play, the Windows store, a Humble Bundle, and I even got the T-shirt ). But it's really weird to release it on Steam so much later and for twice the price compared to the other versions (including the Windows store version). Maybe they're raising the base price in anticipation of the Christmas sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacpy View Post
While I can understand the frustration (coming from the game not including your favorite control scheme) the game is fully playable with said mouse. Just finished it without any problems. I'd go as far as saying the mouse controls felt intuitive.
It's playable, but still awkward and frustrating. I really don't like constantly having to "swipe" with the mouse. It would have made much more sense to just click on the tile I want to move to (or perhaps support keyboard controls as Cochrane suggested).

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 07-12-16 at 08:56.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 09:28   #14
kacpy
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
It would have made much more sense to just click on the tile I want to move to
That would require me to pay more attention as to where the mouse pointer is. :P I guess keyboard control would be better if it can't be the swipe but then I'd need to have both hands on the keyboard instead of relaxing (Edit: and I'd still have to go back to the mouse for relics)... Eh. I'm fine with the swipe.

Now how about that DLC. please...

Last edited by kacpy; 07-12-16 at 09:38.
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 20:14   #15
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

Why the **** does the mac requirement have 8GB RAM for recommended and 256MB of GPU RAM for its minimum and the Windows requirement have a beefy GPU for recommended and low RAM for the minimum and the Linux one is a combination of both Windows/Mac ones

All of this yet for a game which is designed to run on an A5 Apple device with 512MB of RAM

*smh*
Old 07-12-16, 20:39   #16
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

I have no idea what the requirements listed have to do with anything. I can tell you that it works flawlessly on a mid-2010 iMac 27" with 12 GB RAM, a 2.93 GHz Core i7 CPU and a an ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1 GB RAM. I strongly suspect that it will work well on most, if not all, newer systems.

As for the controls: I've found it works better when using a trackpad. Still, I am very much not a fan. Keyboard or controller support would have been way better. Or just clicking on the direction I want Lara to go in.
Old 08-12-16, 02:05   #17
charmedangelin
Archaeologist

Question, how do you select an enemy to kill when Lara has a spear if all you do is flick the mouse?
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 02:24   #18
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Question, how do you select an enemy to kill when Lara has a spear if all you do is flick the mouse?
I think you "swipe" in the direction of the enemy and the spear should keep going that way until it hits something. I actually can't quite remember now that I think about it

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 08-12-16 at 02:25.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 03:52   #19
Resnada
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Just click on the enemy you want to kill.
Resnada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 07:59   #20
Horus-Goddess
Professor

Well one thing I will say, is I'm sorely tempted to buy it, even if it is $10. Other people may be puzzled by this, but I don't own any of the other systems it's available on. I almost upgraded for free to Windows 10 at one point but I didn't want to sacrifice my Windows 7 for it. Thus, I cannot buy it through the Windows store because I refuse to upgrade to 10 right now (or for the foreseeable future).

So what a Steam release means for me is that I can finally play it on my system despite not having Windows 10. Which is important to me.

I'm just disappointed to read about the control scheme! Perhaps if I do buy it, I can check to see if there is controller support since I will be playing it on PC. If that doesn't work... luckily I have a Wacom Tablet so I could probably try using the pen to play it if mouse really feels that awkward.