www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 18-12-16, 19:47   #1
TRJTA
Archaeologist

Angry GROWL - This is becoming hilarious

I'm on my first playthrough of Rise. And I'm getting more and more annoyed by the truly excessive white paint on literally everything you can interact with. It constantly sticks out and it totally ruins the environments and its atmosphere. I'm up the the point I'm literally laughing at the game for the painfully obvious layers of paint everywhere. Why.... oh why cant Crystal just for once in 10 years patch in an option to turn the white paint off. Its so simple to do it... It really kind of ruins the game for me.

Please finally Get Rid Of White Ledges...

Last edited by TRJTA; 18-12-16 at 19:48.
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 19:48   #2
.:Tirivol:.
Professor

Not this again
.:Tirivol:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 19:49   #3
fondantcookie
Professor

Couldn't agree more. White ledges are bloody ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

It's almost like any dim wit can play a game these days and be hand held the way to completion.

If they insist on the obvious markers I don't see why they can't at least provide an option to turn them off...
Old 18-12-16, 19:53   #4
TRJTA
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantcookie View Post
If they insist on the obvious markers I don't see why they can't at least provide an option to turn them off...
Yes, this exactly. I have totally no problem with the white paint at all, as long as they just simply give the option to turn them off!
Old 18-12-16, 20:00   #5
Saphyre
Archaeologist

They should just bake white ledges into Survival Instincts (only have white ledges appear when activating SI). That, to me, is the best solution and the reason why S.I was implemented in the first place!
Saphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 20:02   #6
Phlip
Legend

I have to agree. I don't mind ledges being obvious if they make sense within the environment, for example Legend used cracks with shadows cast inside them or moss-covered edges. It's when perfectly formed smooth white ledges protrude out of a crumbled wall that it looks stupid.

A lot of these ledges and walls with white scuff marks are just overlays anyway, which could easily be disabled.
Old 18-12-16, 20:05   #7
WolfRaider
Archaeologist

CD sure loves them. Maybe they should try something like mirror's edge which has the red highlights that you can turn off, or yeah have them appear with SI?
WolfRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 20:21   #8
dinne
Historian

I have not played personally to Rise but I've watched about 3/4 of the whole gameplay in linearity from the begin.
I am a Core fan and I am also bored to play LAU, so it's that I don't like the Crystal Dynamics style properly.
Games are made for casual gamers since they are the majority, so they are more simple and it's impossible to be stucked or to miss a command in the joystick in the reboot (or you're a retarded, or you can't). As always, Crystal constantly used the white ledges, making the game very linear and easy, that doesn't challenges your mind and doesn't reward you for it. This is appreciated from casuals for sure, maybe you're more pretentious and I highly suggest to replay the classics and some TRLE successes that you can find in trle.net (no installations required).
Crystal has a bad level design and every year poorer gameplay, but it's not only Crystal. The whole videogame industry is evolving in direction to the casuals. I just played to Resident Evil 6 and I am very disappointed about, for same reasons.
Anyway yes, maybe they could release a patch, but in my opinion the gameplay is too poor to be improved in that way. I mean, I could not being stimulated to play anyway, even if I don't find istantly the ledge, since all is linear, movements are not fully under my control, exploring is not really necessary ecc. Also, they added too many rpg elements and when you add them it's because you don't know what else to add to make richer you videogame. We seen it in many examples in the videogame industry. It was also with the dialogues in AOD, a bad choice.
Anyway, the patch woudln't be coherent with the gameplay. I think that without white ledges, the gameplay must be less "fast", but Rise it's not made to stop and think, but to go and act like a continuous action movie. Lara is always "super fast" in everything. I think that this asset, without white paintings, wouldn't be attractive. But this is my thinking...
Beside, if they continue with the Lara Croft parallel series, maybe you could enjoy their alternative products. I'm not interested into, but their gameplay should be better than Rise, even if it's totally another game.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 20:42   #9
Rai

As much as I love the reboot-verse, white paint/rope is definitely an eyesore. Making it optional, used with SI would be better for sure.
Old 18-12-16, 21:15   #10
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I think I kind of got used to it.

There are other things that bother me more.