www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 05-01-17, 15:17   #11
Portugalraider
Explorer

Gameplay-wise, I just want CD to make some adjustments to the formula they developed. My suggestion are:
  • More and more complex main-story tombs and puzzles;
  • Bring puzzles to the hubs as well (like creating or clearing the path for the next story segment);
  • More main-story exploration segments (kinda like how the manor worked on Blood Ties);
  • Semi-manual grab. What I mean is that ledge climbing should work as climbing with the axes do: if you need to jump to the next ledge, you also have to press "interact" to actually grab that ledge;
  • Less and more varied scripted events: meaning i want fewer and the ones we have should not all be "run from the explosion/destruction". For as all too many scripted moments TReboot game had, at least you had some variety. RotTR's one were all run from the falling stuff;
  • More main-story enemy variety and less humans or human-behaving enemies, especially on tombs. Give us animals or monsters instead;
  • Way more hidden challenge tombs. Don't give any hints we're near one until we are actually in it. Kinda like how crypts were handled;
  • Instead of gold coins, have the artefacts we find act as the in-game currency as well. Kinda give them more purpose other than "fully complete the game" and goes well with Lara being a Tomb Raider and all. Maybe have the more well hidden ones value more than the ones that are just scattered on the hubs;

As for narrative, I want CD to continue the reboot universe, but I want a fully matured Lara, that knows she does not have anything to prove to anyone and for that, can enjoy tomb raider much more. As for narrative tone, I liked RotTR's tone, but I also want more lighthearted moments in the story. Not necessarily humor, but lighter moments.
Old 05-01-17, 16:11   #12
Mikky
Legend

I don't want reboot Lara to "transform" into classic Lara or whatever, I'd rather CD just take her wherever they feel is right and whatever fits into this universe, without pressure of living up to the past. Hopefully we'll end up with an interesting character who stands on her own, who's unique but somewhat reminiscent of the old Lara (I just like to think of her as Lara's daughter).

The same absolutely goes for the gameplay as well; continue evolving it and take even bigger risks, make the game more challenging and ultimately just evolve the gameplay naturally. I'm hoping we'll eventually get a fully open world TR game, where we can take on main tombs in any order we want, much like the new Zelda game. No more huge reboots or "un-boots", just natural progression of a franchise.

If they bring classic or LAU Lara back and the classic gameplay for a full game, then bring those back, just like they have in the LC games; I don't want some wishy-washy character who just happens to be named Lara Croft to be someone she clearly isn't just to please a few fans. Like I said, if they're bringing back the real Lara, then bring her back proper, or don't do it at all.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 16:56   #13
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

After SOTTR , I'd like them to do some games with fully-fledged confident Reboot Lara , and as much as I like the crafting and survival in Rise , I'd like them to steer away from that after SOTTR (or even FOR SOTTR) and show Reboot Lara as a total master of her environment , they can keep the dark tone if they want just add some light moments here and there (think AOD) , although I won't say no for a Legend-like tone in the future .

As for gameplay , I stand behind Portugalraider's post , not only for the game after Shadow , but it can be a wishlist for Shadow itself too
Old 05-01-17, 17:14   #14
Portugalraider
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikky View Post
The same absolutely goes for the gameplay as well; continue evolving it and take even bigger risks, make the game more challenging and ultimately just evolve the gameplay naturally. I'm hoping we'll eventually get a fully open world TR game, where we can take on main tombs in any order we want, much like the new Zelda game. No more huge reboots or "un-boots", just natural progression of a franchise.
Open world TR would not work. Or to work, CD would need a really huge budget and expanded development time, both of which I don't see Square Enix not giving to anyone not involved in the next big Final Fantasy game. Open world games are more keen to macro-level exploration (finding new places in big environments) and Tomb Raider is about micro-level exploration (finding how these self-contained areas work, maybe find some hidden treasure, then solve that area and progress to the next one). I mean, I thought that the Geothermal valley was too big for a TR, and that thing is tiny compared to the map of any open-world game.

An open-world game that is based on both macro and micro-exploration could be made of course. I mean, Zelda Breath of the Wild is shaping to be just that, but that game has been in development for at least 6 years (considering this game has been in development right after they finished Skyward Sword), and again, I just don't see Square Enix giving CD the proper time and resources to do a Tomb Raider game of that scale.

As you said, it is better for CD to follow the natural progression of the franchise, and I don't think open world is the answer. I think evolving the "3D Metroidvania" style CD is going is the best for Tomb Raider, and in this case it means:
  • More mandatory exploration
  • More mandatory puzzles
  • A "calmer" game structure so the player can breath between big action sequences and to make those feel even grander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
As for gameplay , I stand behind Portugalraider's post , not only for the game after Shadow , but it can be a wishlist for Shadow itself too
Yeah, of course my gameplay wishlist could be for SotTR as well! :P

Last edited by Portugalraider; 05-01-17 at 18:51.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 19:30   #15
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Remake Angel of Darkness 1 and make Angel of Darkness 2 and possibly 3 (a trilogy is always nice) to create a new set of "darker" Tomb Raider games. It could be treated as a spin-off, separate from the current reboot timeline, similar to how "Lara Croft and the..." games are a separate line. I've always thought Angel of Darkness could be great as a The Da Vinci Code/Angels & Demons/Inferno style mystery/detective/action game. There would be need to fiddle with the engine, just use a different art style for all the graphics.
~~gets dreamy~~
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 19:45   #16
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

They could make the Angel of Darkness trilogy but be under the Lara Croft brand, yes. Except of course without the same camera angle/perspective.

Lara Croft: The Angel of Darkness
Lara Croft: The Lost Dominion
Lara Croft: Dreams of A Resurrection

Some minor story changes would need to be made however. AKA Lara not being bitter towards Werner about Egypt and all of that.

Last edited by NoahCrofRaider; 05-01-17 at 19:46.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 01:04   #17
Dustie
Relic Hunter

^ That makes sense and looks nice. Except let's be real, Angel of Darkness remake is not happening in a million years... unless fans try making one in Unity or UnrealEngine...
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 01:06   #18
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
They could make the Angel of Darkness trilogy but be under the Lara Croft brand,
I'd rather be it under it's own Angel of Darkness brand...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 02:02   #19
JuditePrince12
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Open world TR would not work.
Ummm u realize that Tomb Raider 2013 was originally supposed to be an open world game right. But they scrapped it in the development. There's gameplay too and it looked like it could've worked. With the technology they have now, open world would be really easy. I also don't understand how people say Tomb raider can't be open world. The game is based on EXPLORATION! The hubs can get but so much bigger without running into each other. With the demand of more tombs from almost every review I've seen, it might as well be freeroam.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 02:28   #20
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

^ this. TR totally works as an open world type game. Open world/hubs are the best platform for exploration, which is kind of TR's style.