www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-01-17, 19:17   #1
StealthLara
Hobbyist

Question Worth buying PS4 just to play TR and ROTR?

Hi, I'm new. I joined because I am itching to talk about TR and I know no gamers.

I was hugely into TR 1-5 and I was so, so late to the series. I bought the PS2 for AOD then rage quit it at the tutorial stage.

I haven't really played anything since.

I have been watching some let's plays so I know it's a different thing, but would be good to get your insights as to whether it's worth getting a PS4 for this and prob TR, as I am unlikely to play anything else.

Last edited by StealthLara; 07-01-17 at 19:21.
StealthLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 19:22   #2
ThatSassyKid

if you're able to play on something else, I wouldn't say it's worth buying a PS4 for them, unless you're intending on playing some other games too, like exclusives.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 19:35   #3
JimbobJeffers
Student

As an avid PS4 gamer I agree with ThatSassyKid. If you've got a decent enough computer, just get the games on that. If your computer actually can't support the game and you'd need to buy a new one/better hardware to play it, then I'd say yes, grab a PS4 if you like consoles, it'd be cheaper.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 19:36   #4
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

If you're not a gamer apart from TR games, it may be a bit of a risk buying a console for just a couple of games.

But if you play other games too, there are lots of games on the ps4 that makes it worth buying - so it wouldn't be a risk.

Are TR2103 and ROTTR worth buying a ps4 alone??

There are a lot of people who really like the new games and so it definitely may be worth it for you.

The gameplay style has changed since TR1-5 but you may still like it anyway.

I would suggest watching the first 30 minutes of TR2013 on youtube to see if it's to your tastes...............

Old 08-01-17, 02:05   #5
Mutant Messiah
Hobbyist

I bought an Asus GL552VW laptop just so that I can play Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise Of The Tomb Raider. Specs-wise, the laptop is at par with PS4.

Gameplay-wise, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 2013 are a massive leap from the earlier Tomb Raider games.

If you enjoy the combat aspect of Tomb Raider 2, you will like the newer games.

If you enjoy getting lost, have no idea what to do, etc. like how Tomb Raider 4 plays, you may not enjoy the newer games since those aren't a top priority.

The first reboot trilogy is no longer relevant, you may wanna skip those.

Though I would recommend getting Rise of the Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider 2013, Lara Croft Go (the puzzle elements here are the the best of ANY Tomb Raider game), and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light.

There may not be enough games out there that follow the Tomb Raider framework other than Uncharted, though most likely these four Tomb Raider games I mentioned can keep you occupied for a while before you decide to try other games.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 02:38   #6
_Doppie_
Professor

Buying a console for 2 games might not be the way to go.

By the way, I love your avatar. This Classic Lara outfit is truly amazing, you might enjoy Rise outfits.
Old 08-01-17, 06:40   #7
robm_2007
Legend

Location: Fruits and vegetables? Sounds like an entire wing of a 1950s insane asylum.

You're likely to lose a lot of money if you do, as you'd have to sell the games and console when you are done with them. You[d be better off buying a 360 and the games, would be way cheaper.

Or just rent a PS4 and the games.
Old 08-01-17, 14:33   #8
WWETombRaider
Relic Hunter

Buying a console just for two games does seem like a bit of a waste. Like another poster suggested, perhaps see if you can rent a PS4.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 18:13   #9
dinne
Explorer

If you are a fan of the first series, take your time to valuate "carefully" RottR, except if you are open to play at it like a non-tomb raider game. It's an adventure, linear, with stunning graphic quality, automated controls, a lot of cinematic scenes and story. RPG elements are added, same for the fantasy atmosphere. The character is another, in appearence and in the behaviour. Just watch more walkthroughs on YouTube and you'll see.
If you found as untolerable the differences from TR1-5 to AOD, surely it's better if you don't buy anything else because the franchise is taken by Crystal Dynamics and all is changed more and more with every title, even the target of the consumers is deeply changed. If you want to consider their products, be sure to watch a sufficient amount of walkthroughs before, and consider that controls (that you can't "touch" in the video) are very automated and less manual.

It is currently happening a "war" between Core fans and the fans of the Reboot, while the other titles like Legend, Anniversary and Underworld are in the middle. This is because the reboot is deeply... Another game, at all, so the fanbase is splitted.

Instead, if you're looking for some original-based adventures, you can:
1) Download the expansions like TR1 - Unfinished Business; TR2 - The Golden Mask; TR3 - The Lost Artifact; TR4 - The Times.
2) Download the fan made games or single levels that you find out here: http://www.trle.net/ (go on "level listing / search" and try the ones with a high rank).

If you are a PS1 user, it will be comfortable for you to buy an adapter usb-joystick. It costs less than 5$ on Ebay.

About buying the PS4 I agree with the others.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 19:51   #10
Murphdawg1
Explorer

Buy for Tomb Raider, stay for other cool games.
Murphdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote