www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 07-01-17, 20:07   #21
Revenge
Archaeologist

It really needs to be coherent then, and the story needs to allow that. Life is Strange made it very good because the story was incredible and wisely cut into 5 parts, it's possible to do it with TR, but the way the story is written has to be adapted to it then, so the story would have to be very different from the storylines TR had so far.

I'm not against it at all tho, if it's done well. And it could add a suspense feel to the story. But it shouldn't be a game that looks like TR3 but cut into 5 or sth. There has to be a really interesting continuity between the episodes, so that the player wants to continue the journey.

I've always liked when TR experiences new directions, so I would agree to that
Old 07-01-17, 20:11   #22
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Why months? The release schedule could be much tighter than that. You could have one episode per month, for example.
The episodes could be delayed. Even then an episode per month to me is still ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emix View Post
Well having 5 different locations in full game would be a lot of work. Having 8 weeks between the episodes sounds like enough time to finish and polish an episode that is around 4h long.
I'd rather wait a super long time and get the full experience, than be strung along with only a bit of the experience at a time.

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but to me an episodic TR would be really dumb.
Old 07-01-17, 20:14   #23
Rai

Quote:
Well having 5 different locations in full game would be a lot of work. Having 8 weeks between the episodes sounds like enough time to finish and polish an episode that is around 4h long.
Each of the Core and even LAU games had 4 locations, 5 if you include Croft Manor. Why could this not be done now, with the hubs system?

You're talking about polishing one episode in between each episode, with open world or large hubs per episode. This would presumably mean each hub space would be mostly done, just requiring polish. Why not just take a little extra time to polish the game, then release it complete. Imo, much better.

Last edited by Rai; 07-01-17 at 20:15.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 20:15   #24
Emix
Professor

@Daring Do You could just wait for all 5 episodes to be released and still have full experience am i right? Maybe i would do the same, but with TR game... i am not sure i would be able to do that lol.

But still waiting for the next episode, teasers, trailers... sounds like a part of the experience and i would like it.
Emix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 20:20   #25
Rai

Are you just thinking that perhaps this way you wouldn't need to wait 2-3 years between games? I'm getting that impression, somehow.

Maybe, I wouldn't be too opposed to an LC game, being like this, I dunno.
Old 07-01-17, 20:20   #26
Revenge
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
You're talking about polishingh one episode in between each episode, with open world or large hubs per episode. This would presumably mean each hub space would be mostly done, just requiring polish. Why not just take a little extra time to polish the game, then release it complete. Imo, much better.
I agree that it could work indeed. Or not even 5 different locations, just 5 different places in 1 location since Crystal Dynamics seems to want to do only one location per game almost.

I'm more concerned about the story department though. Episodic games are mostly story-driven games, at least I think, and that's because the player has to want to buy the rest of the episodes and not stop at the end of episode 1. Tomb Raider has never been a story driven game to my mind, except maybe AoD, in the sense that there was always more focus on the gameplay and the environments than on the story. So they would have to focus a lot more on the story to make an episodic game work. Or nobody would buy the rest of the episodes (except TR fans) because the story isn't suspenseful and rich enough to make people want to buy the rest.
Old 07-01-17, 20:26   #27
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

Quote:
@Daring Do You could just wait for all 5 episodes to be released and still have full experience am i right? Maybe i would do the same, but with TR game... i am not sure i would be able to do that lol.

But still waiting for the next episode, teasers, trailers... sounds like a part of the experience and i would like it.
So for the people who want to play the game in full, they have to wait somewhere around 5 months to a year to play it. That doesn't sound too far off from what people had to do for the exclusivity deal.
Old 07-01-17, 20:27   #28
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
So for the people who want to play the game in full, they have to wait somewhere around 5 months to a year to play it. That doesn't sound too far off from what people had to do for the exclusivity deal.
Well, this .
Old 07-01-17, 20:27   #29
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
The episodes could be delayed. Even then an episode per month to me is still ridiculous.
It would give you the time to fully explore each episode, discover every nook and cranny of it before moving on to the next episode. That's what many people who've played Hitman in its episodic form have praised so much about it.
Old 07-01-17, 20:40   #30
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
It would give you the time to fully explore each episode, discover every nook and cranny of it before moving on to the next episode. That's what many people who've played Hitman in its episodic form have praised so much about it.
You can explore in a full game! You don't need episodes to explore the game

Why would people praise that? People love only playing bits of a game one month at a time?