www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 15-06-18, 20:34   #11
Psycho_Kenshin
Student

I'm very on board, Hideo is the king. I've enjoyed every game he's made, why not. MGS series is so well done. (though I've only seen Policenauts and Snatcher)

I also love surreal stuff, so this is a good mix. Some of the stuff him and Norman had going for Silent Hills may be in the mix here too.
Psycho_Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 10:34   #12
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I don’t mean to be a negative nelly here but everything I’m seeing about this game just has me detached which I’m annoyed at. I expected to be really hyped about this cause it’s Kojima but everything I see I just feel I know less and less about what’s actually going on and nothing makes any sense - plus what little gameplay we did see what like a trecking simulator. I’m worried that after theee years of showing off very abstract trailers nothing solid is get coming out and After MGS5 I’m honestly worried about what Kojima could do if left unchecked

Last edited by jajay119; 16-06-18 at 10:36.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 19:02   #13
redfox45
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Kenshin View Post
I'm very on board, Hideo is the king. I've enjoyed every game he's made, why not. MGS series is so well done. (though I've only seen Policenauts and Snatcher)
I hear they kinda sucked...not just because they're old/obscure but simply because they just weren't that great, at least on a level you'd expect from a young bright eyed Hideo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
After MGS5 I’m honestly worried about what Kojima could do if left unchecked

I mean i've been there, I took a week off work just to play MGS4. That's how big of a deal it was and I didn't regret it for a second. But we need a reality check here, he isn't ACTUALLY a god and he is capable of making dumb decisions, especially if he goes years and years without being challenged by his peers for fear of questioning the mighty Kojima and there's no reason Death Stranding shouldn't be judged on it's own merit, which is hard when we STILL have no idea what the hell is going on with it.

I was watching a stream last night where he was talking about spotting Kojima at E3 and Kojima was walking around like jesus, with security all around him surrounded by a tonne of people as he strolled around the E3 floor it sounded insane.
I can't help feel like I was as much of a part of creating this madness but we need to get a grip and realize this obsession with putting up on such a pedestal can do nothing but have a negative consequence on both him as a creator and us as an audience.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 22:53   #14
Persefone
Historian

I honestly took it as an engine showcase, the trailer didn't have many impressive highlights for me but paired with the past trailers I'm very intrigued about the story and how they implemented what seems to be MG V's gameplay mechanics in a beautiful intricate open world (MG V's seemed extremely empty and boring when i played it, hope they learned from it)

Did you guys read anything about the "stick and rope" concept base he's using for the tools and weapons?
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-18, 23:03   #15
Mani_Man
Professor

I dont know, Death Stranding leaves me speechless...and not necessary in a good way.

I do think that Kojima runs on a different battery than most people, he is a true inventor who uses completely different methods looking at things and presenting them.
But i also think that he isnt as good as people make him out to be and that he tends to go a bit too much over into style over substance.

His way of storytelling is even for veteran writers a complicated thing to pinpoint because he leaves you enough rope to form an idea of what one might think but not enough to have this completely locked down.

Death Stranding could be the game that gives one the best possible look at what goes on in Kojimas head...but i dont know at the moment.

There is just too much style there for the moment and not enough substance for me to get really into this game...i just dont know from which side i should tackle this.

That is why at the moment at least, i will not give into the hype, which isnt too hard considering Kojima doesnt reveal too much at the moment.

I think it has a interesting style and could tackle really deep topics in a extremely clever way...but i need to see more.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-18, 14:35   #16
redfox45
Archaeologist

This style of trailer could fly with MGS games as there was already a super heavy lore that we were really into and while for the most part no 2 MGS games were ever alike, they always took a huge step up in quality and innovation we always knew kind of what to expect.

But with events like TGS and E3 the main purpose is to show something that makes people say "that looks like it could be a really fun game to play!"
Which is the reaction I had to seeing Ghost of Tsushima.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 20:43   #17
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I mean i've been there, I took a week off work just to play MGS4. That's how big of a deal it was and I didn't regret it for a second. But we need a reality check here, he isn't ACTUALLY a god and he is capable of making dumb decisions, especially if he goes years and years without being challenged by his peers for fear of questioning the mighty Kojima and there's no reason Death Stranding shouldn't be judged on it's own merit, which is hard when we STILL have no idea what the hell is going on with it.

I was watching a stream last night where he was talking about spotting Kojima at E3 and Kojima was walking around like jesus, with security all around him surrounded by a tonne of people as he strolled around the E3 floor it sounded insane.
I can't help feel like I was as much of a part of creating this madness but we need to get a grip and realize this obsession with putting up on such a pedestal can do nothing but have a negative consequence on both him as a creator and us as an audience.
I have to agree this sounds ludicrous! The funny thing is there will be people who will lap up anything he does because he is Kojima but time will tell whether Sony will think their investment was a good idea. If they keep pumping money into Kojima for him to go, and go and go only for the final game to be a financial flop because it cost so much and was too 'out there' to gain a good audience then he won't last. Yes he created MGS and yes he had good ideas but your name only goes so far and this coupled with MGS5 is starting to make me thing Kojima needs a reality check. I was severly on the '**** Konami' bandwagon till I actually played MGS5 and then I suddenly found it easier to understand why Konami pushed the game out the way they did and how things could have escalated form there. Kojima has great ideas but he definitiely needs someone to reign him in.