Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 10-05-16, 20:44   #21
annl

I LOVED Anniversary! I would've wanted Core to have made theirs though. Still it's a great game!
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 21:02   #22
TombRaiderTim

I'm so sure I remember hearing in one of the commentary that they told Toby they had simplified: I think it was Natla's Mines down to the main areas in a smaller room because, get this: It was too confusing in the original.

Hello? Isn't that the whole idea why Tomb Raider is an adventure game, to explore with the possibility to get lost and frustrated at actual good game design instead of getting frustrated over poor control and glitchy areas?

IMO the remake is terrible as a remake, the paths are basically set out to follow and clues are more obvious in smaller areas and not mentioning the fact they cut out a ton of content from the original, it's like they are lowering the difficulty to keep up with the nowaday degrading peoples IQ.

Just because you have a new engine, which has the ability to create good looking graphics and different geometry doesn't necessarily mean it creates a good remake when you take out many memorable locations from the original design and that being, this is the most important time to listen to fans of Tomb Raider when you plan to remake something countless people love as it is.

I think I'm with everyone else though, it's a good game if it was not a remake and I'm sure everyone here would have liked to have seen TRAE released.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 10-05-16 at 21:03.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 06:24   #23
Profc

I like Legend more than Anniversary, but I agree that Anniversary is a great game on its own.

I especially liked the Croft Manor in this one. The books scattered throughout the manor were a great idea.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 07:38   #24
starstruck

It's one of my favorites of the series!
starstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 16:06   #25
Patrick star

It's the closest of the classics amongst CD's games , it had amazing puzzles and traps , some fun bosses and great architecture at parts and the secrets system was done greatly too , St Francis Folly and Sanctuary of the scion are masterpieces in this game btw.

But...IDK , that's not enough ...Anniversary is a ledge-hopping and corridors galore , it gets incredibly annoying after a while , the colors are washed-out and no , not for the realistic side ..quite the opposite actually (real life Egypt for example has a yellow-ish color palette , not the full-on grey on we've got in the game) , the Adrenaline dodge is forced and disturbing and the music is horrible , I can picture my self replaying Legend to no end and over and over , just not Anniversary .

For the record , I feel almost the same towards TR1 . Actually , I have a hard time picking one over the other tbh .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 16:57   #26
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Anniversary is a ledge-hopping and corridors galore , it gets incredibly annoying after a while , the colors are washed-out and no , not for the realistic side ..quite the opposite actually (real life Egypt for example has a yellow-ish color palette , not the full-on grey on we've got in the game) , the Adrenaline dodge is forced and disturbing and the music is horrible , I can picture my self replaying Legend to no end and over and over , just not Anniversary .
I agree with the comment on the colour palette and corridors. CD made a huge mistake there.
I'm surprised you disliked the music as I found the music, while uneven, to be overall very good (obviously, not compared to McCree's TR1, but still). For example the music that plays by the Midas statue is just awesome and brings so much atmosphere and feeling to the place imo.
Overall it's still the best and closest thing to a true TR game Crystal have made to this date. It's just a much better game than Legend which is for the most part a horrible TR game.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 17:33   #27
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
It's just a much better game than Legend which is for the most part a horrible TR game.
How dare you!

TRA has more and yes, harder and better play than Legend, but if CD had put another 10 levels into Legend, i.e. gave it the same amount of TLC they gave TRA, it would be the best LAU game. They were just in a hurry to get Legend Lara out before her adoring fans.

TRA is basically a rehash of TR1, easy to redo a bunch of levels in a modern engine and add your own "creative changes" to it, which is all they really did. TRA could have been a fan-made mod, if there were good level editing tools for the LAU games available. Such mods abound for many games. It would have been much more work to create a more in-depth story for Legend and create a bunch more new environments and levels from scratch.

Last edited by Sir Launcelot; 16-05-16 at 17:36.
Sir Launcelot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 17:59   #28
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
How dare you!
Well, I am just completely out of control bonkers. You know that Sir Launcelot.

Quote:
TRA has more and yes, harder and better play than Legend, but if CD had put another 10 levels into Legend, i.e. gave it the same amount of TLC they gave TRA, it would be the best LAU game. They were just in a hurry to get Legend Lara out before her adoring fans.
10 more levels is quite a lot though. Plus some of the levels already there is pretty much a crime against humanity so they would have to be removed. *cough* bike levels *cough*

Quote:
TRA is basically a rehash of TR1, easy to redo a bunch of levels in a modern engine and add your own "creative changes" to it, which is all they really did.
Well, to be fair it is a remake of TR1 so you can't really blame them for that. Plus, 'easy' doesn't really matter in my opinion as long as it works. You can put a lot of effort into something that ultimately doesn't work and you can put a lot less effort into something else and somehow it works brilliantly. So effort doesn't mean anything in my book as long as it doesn't yield results. Only the final product delivered to the gamers means something.

Plus if it was as 'easy' as that then it's a wonder they still essentially screwed up by crapping all over TR1. Just because I said Anniversary is their best TR game doesn't mean it's an improvement over the original. It still can't hold a candle to TR1. In my opinion they only got one level right, one level in the entire game. That's St.Francis' Folly, but even that level still has some weaknesses compared to the TR1 original. Still, if every level had been remade with the same quality and care that St.Francis' Folly recieved then I'd say Anniversary would have been a successful remake.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 20:03   #29
maikaal

Those who love this game have very low standards which is not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just saying.
maikaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-16, 22:17   #30
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
10 more levels is quite a lot though. Plus some of the levels already there is pretty much a crime against humanity so they would have to be removed. *cough* bike levels *cough*
Depends on how you consider levels, as areas with levels, or each area a level? I think Legend was about as half or three quarters as long as it should have been.

The bikes in Legend were better than the Mexico bike riding in TRU, in any case. Though I agree the Kazakhstan bike sequence was pretty sucky.

Quote:
Well, to be fair it is a remake of TR1 so you can't really blame them for that. Plus, 'easy' doesn't really matter in my opinion as long as it works. You can put a lot of effort into something that ultimately doesn't work and you can put a lot less effort into something else and somehow it works brilliantly. So effort doesn't mean anything in my book as long as it doesn't yield results. Only the final product delivered to the gamers means something.

Plus if it was as 'easy' as that then it's a wonder they still essentially screwed up by crapping all over TR1. Just because I said Anniversary is their best TR game doesn't mean it's an improvement over the original. It still can't hold a candle to TR1. In my opinion they only got one level right, one level in the entire game. That's St.Francis' Folly, but even that level still has some weaknesses compared to the TR1 original. Still, if every level had been remade with the same quality and care that St.Francis' Folly recieved then I'd say Anniversary would have been a successful remake.
I'm sure they "changed" TRA because they thought it would help sales. What if the game was EXACTLY the same as TR1, in very respect except graphics? Maybe less purchases? From CD's point of view, better to sell more copies and put up with the howling from the Core fanboys.
Sir Launcelot is online now   Reply With Quote