Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 27-05-16, 06:56   #1
SamCactus101

Default Melee combat / Hand to hand combat

The only kind of melee combat in TR we've gotten are the round kicks from Underworld and axe attacks from the reboot series. Please correct me and add the melee styles of past games as I've not played TR4-6. What I'd like to see is solid hand-to-hand fighting and good kicking animations if possible in future games. Thoughts? The comics have seen Lara to some hand-to-hand and made them look pretty brutal so why not the games? Opinions?
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 07:32   #2
Shark_Blade

There are hand-to-hand combat in Aod but it was unfinished.

There's already some melee attacks in Rise/Reboot with Katniss Croft. I quite like impaling my ice axe on enemies, but I don't want Lara to suddenly be Bruce Lee and start kungfu/fighting people up. Simple melee is what Lara should do, not too much.

The one in a cutscene of TR5 (6:25) which is also good enough.

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 27-05-16 at 07:33.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 08:11   #3
SamCactus101

Indeed. She doesn't need to get all Kung fuey with her combat, just simple but effective hits to the face or stomach is enough. And sweep kicks perhaps
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 08:37   #4
lizardspock110

I want hand to hand combat, In the new comics Lara knows how to do some of those moves as she was training.
They should have some Like the tomb raider movie (not all, some of those fighting scenes were terrible!)
If there is hand to hand combat and it is done nicely it would be nice for those levels were you out of ammo/weaponless
I have always wanted Lara to have hand to hand combat, in aod she did have but it was unfinished and looked a little sloppy, they have the means to do it perfectly in the next game, so why not?
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 16:00   #5
peeves

I'd like the hand to hand combat from TR6 to return.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 16:19   #6
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

No, no, no. She never really needed it before because she had her pistols. I'm hoping she won't need it in the future because of her pistols.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 16:22   #7
anthonycraig

I absolutely love the melee combat in the reboot games, in the older ones that had any it always felt very stop-start and janky due to the animations (probably due to those being underdeveloped). The only thing I don't like about the reboot game combat is the melee attacks becoming replaced by others, and the QTE prompt. I love swinging the axe around but I don't like those knee stab with arrow prompt; I don't really like those finishers as they just don't seem to fit. For example I'd like to shove dirt in the enemies faces to blind them for a bit, so then I could hit them with the axe for a knockout.

I don't really care for the punching and kicking, but if it does return I hope it's more fleshed out and well developed.
anthonycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 18:37   #8
peeves

She doesn't need her dual pistols but it'd be cool if she had both her dual pistols and hand to hand combat.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-16, 12:54   #9
robm_2007

I'd rather they incorporate a good melee combat system than dual pistols. The only reasons to have duals and not melee is if they give us unlimited ammo to replace the need to melee, and I would rather not have unlimited ammo again.

They want us to not reflect back on any iterations of Lara. "Forget everything you know about Tomb Raider." It's supposed to be a clean slate; it was a reboot, afterall.

New Lara, new "iconic" features. No braid, no turquoise top, no watermelon-sized jugs, no duals.

Not that I like it.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-16, 16:23   #10
lizardspock110

^To be fair, her personality isn't that far off classic Lara, in the newest comic series she is very calm, collected and badass, she has skills and can fight, she can also keep her breath underwater for long...
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote