Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 22-06-17, 00:03   #1
remyma

Default Better Than Its Successor

Am I the only one who prefers Tomb Raider (2013) to Rise of the Tomb Raider?

First of all, I'm a reboot-era-hater. Hate it, hate it, hate it! I can't stand moany Lara, the exploration is forgettable and the story is.. Well, we all know about the story. I'm an annoying Classics-fanboy, who enjoys dry Lara and being stuck in Lud's Gate!

That being said, I found myself enjoyng the first installment of rebooted Lara a bit more than that dreadful game that shall remain nameless (apparently not, since I wrote the title a minute ago). So much so, that I've actually replayed it.. Twice! Which is rather strange since Rise is more Tomb Raidery at first glance.

It's hard for me to actually pinpoint why exactly this is. I think it's a better game for what it is. Rise was too ambitious for its own good - which really manifested itself in the emptiness of its hubs, the god awful pacing and those weirdly loosened combat mechanics. There's a million other reasons. The story was a soap opera extravaganza, compared to TReboot's survival/horror B-movie (the latter being more forgivable to me). Not that Rise didn't excel at many things, but it just isn't replayable for me, whilst TReboot almost becomes likable right after Roth's death.

Does anyone share my opinion on this, and if so, why? I'd love to know your thoughts.

<3
remyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 06:12   #2
Kivlov

Well... I also like the classical series more than latest reboot. However, I find ROTTR better than TR2013. I think it has bigger, more detailed and interesting locations.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 06:26   #3
ESCachuli

That's because Rise is almost a carbon copy of tr2013, same situations, same progression, same supernatural enemies... It's the same game with expanded hubs and a snowy skin.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 07:00   #4
Alex Fly
Inactive

I feel the same than you. I couldn't get into Rise and I really enjoyed the previous game better.
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 07:25   #5
Hazelphoenix

You are not alone in this.

Just like you, I'm not keen on the rebooted universe altogether and I'd rather play another type of modern TR classic-oriented instead of a third person shooter. I grew attached to the classics and classic Lara so much that it's hard for me to warm up to this new iteration changing so many things that I loved. It's not like I want a return to the grid system or blocky graphics in a new game coming out now, of course. It would be better off, for me, if they kept the same "spirit" and overall design style level-wise, and the same kind of personality for Lara Croft.

Just like you, I ended up enjoying the first reboot game more than Rise, exception made for the side challenge tombs which where more compelling in the latter. Other than that, Rise felt like a chore to go though, I got bored in multiple occasions and I just couldn't wait for it to be over. Which didn't really occur with the first one. It was much more entertaining and kept me more interested overall.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 07:39   #6
Grimaldi

I felt the same. I don't know if it's just me but there's something unshakeably boring about Rise that made what should've been an exciting experience bland and repetitive. It's a good game with some improvements I'd love to see carried over (crypts pls pls) but it never reached the same exciting pace, variety or focus of the reboot to me.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 07:41   #7
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
That's because Rise is almost a carbon copy of tr2013, same situations, same progression, same supernatural enemies... It's the same game with expanded hubs and a snowy skin.
Same situations

Carbon copy?

If I am going to ask you to tell me in details why it is almost a carbon copy I am going to laugh alot at what you will probably write.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 07:59   #8
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Same situations

Carbon copy?

If I am going to ask you to tell me in details why it is almost a carbon copy I am going to laugh alot at what you will probably write.
It's true, there's a thread on here which covers all the similarities between the two games, also a YouTube video. Quite shocking actually.

Anyway, Rise is a pile of trash, TR 2013 is much better.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-17, 08:04   #9
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
It's true, there's a thread on here which covers all the similarities between the two games, also a YouTube video. Quite shocking actually.

Anyway, Rise is a pile of trash, TR 2013 is much better.
Please do tell me for exemple what are those same situation?

Last edited by Costel; 22-06-17 at 08:06.
Old 22-06-17, 08:13   #10
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyma View Post
Am I the only one who prefers Tomb Raider (2013) to Rise of the Tomb Raider?

First of all, I'm a reboot-era-hater. Hate it, hate it, hate it! I can't stand moany Lara, the exploration is forgettable and the story is.. Well, we all know about the story. I'm an annoying Classics-fanboy, who enjoys dry Lara and being stuck in Lud's Gate!

That being said, I found myself enjoyng the first installment of rebooted Lara a bit more than that dreadful game that shall remain nameless (apparently not, since I wrote the title a minute ago). So much so, that I've actually replayed it.. Twice! Which is rather strange since Rise is more Tomb Raidery at first glance.

It's hard for me to actually pinpoint why exactly this is. I think it's a better game for what it is. Rise was too ambitious for its own good - which really manifested itself in the emptiness of its hubs, the god awful pacing and those weirdly loosened combat mechanics. There's a million other reasons. The story was a soap opera extravaganza, compared to TReboot's survival/horror B-movie (the latter being more forgivable to me). Not that Rise didn't excel at many things, but it just isn't replayable for me, whilst TReboot almost becomes likable right after Roth's death.

Does anyone share my opinion on this, and if so, why? I'd love to know your thoughts.

<3
I dont agree on the hubs being empty. On the rest I cannot agree or disagree since that is more a matter of opinions.