www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 13-10-18, 08:04   #1
paulwork
Archaeologist

Default Praise from a TReboot critic: The Mansion

So,

As everyone knows, I am now a huge TReboot critic. But that does not mean I don't give credit where credit is due.

Over at a friend's house - just played the mansion level incl. the 2 side-challenges - target practice, and lower the mast tower.

From what I saw of the main game, it's still as crap as ever. Easy platforming (though the overhang climb was nice), easy puzzles and non-mandatory tombs (wtf? - the clue is in the game title...)

Aaanyway. Playing the mansion is much more fun than the youtubes I saw mostly with the sound off.

There is a feeling of cosy nostalgia in the mansion. It's a little bit like the sweet childhood moments in Heavy Rain or Beyond. I would say the mansion is probably the best thing about the entire game. Admittedly I didn't play the other parts of the game, but I've seen enough youtubes to know that adult Lara isn't Lara - and she's a whiney PITA.

They could have had more unlockable doors in the mansion, and extended the outside grounds. It screams attention for a DLC to do just that. And of course the out-of-character sayings/swearings/americanisms of a small british child are annoying.

However, this does NOT give my overall approval of TReboot games. CD have had waaaaay longer than Core to perfect their TR games. They should be Pros at this point. Masters and benchmark-setters in all things Tomb Raider, but they are not. Not anywhere near.

I would like to see a switch of developer, but whoever was responsible development-wise for the mansion, thank you for at least doing something half-right ;-)

Last edited by paulwork; 13-10-18 at 08:08.
paulwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 08:51   #2
suli
Professor

Glad you liked it. but let's get one thing out of the way first. you're the only remaining member of the "oh the tombs are optional in a tomb raider game" club from 2013.

reboot games has way more tombs than any TR game. the optional tombs. are extra challenge rooms to inject even more tombs into the game. as far as the game title, no game lived up to its name since TR4 quite like Shadow.

and that's it.

have a good day. and yup shadow still has whiney Lara and no levers in Australia that open doors in ****ing louisville, kentucky. I advise you to not play it.

Last edited by suli; 13-10-18 at 08:53.
suli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 11:53   #3
HarleyCroft
Explorer

I agree, as someone who has also been underwhelmed by this trilogy. The flashback sequence was extremely well done

The way the danger creeps in subtly to the point of being alarming while climbing higher up the sides of the mansion gets full marks from me. That segment was the only time I was truly invested and concerned about Lara's safety since the early parts of TR13.
Old 13-10-18, 12:07   #4
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Wow someone's not happy with your opinion.

I agree, the Croft manor level was really well made!
The side tombs would've been great if they were implemented in the main story path. It would've given the developers a chance to have a way longer story too.

I was never a huge fan of side-tombs anyway because they feel out of place and it's really shame that they aren't being used for something more significant like an actual discovery that leads Lara somewhere.

I'm glad the game at least had some puzzles but imo it would've been perfect if they weren't optional.

When it comes to Lara, yeah, there's not really a huge change. She's still pretty much the same except a few scenes where we saw a glimpse of what we should've gotten years ago but that's pretty much it.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-18, 12:34   #5
_Seth
Historian

I honestly found the Croft manor flashback so unbelievably cringeworthy. When it first randomly flashed back and we were given control with young Lara talking in third person I was like "Is... is this really happening?" I thought Rise was cheesy but this really made my eyes roll right back round to their original position.

The only good thing was that Lara, for that brief portion of the game, actually had an English accent.
Old 13-10-18, 15:07   #6
Mikky
Legend

I'm glad you liked it and everything, but personally speaking, I really don't understand what's so great about it, at least to the extent a lot of people say here, even (or especially) if they are a classic fan. I mean, I don't dislike it by any means, it's nice and cute but that's it. I just really don't see the big deal.
Old 13-10-18, 15:40   #7
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Today, I decided that I wasn't going to come to Tomb Raider Forums dot com. I'm better than this place, I said. I'm stronger than that, and can enjoy things without needing people to validate my enjoyment of them. So as I was browsing Tumblr, Discord, and Reddit, I had quite a pleasant feeling on my mind.

But then I thought, man, no one talks about Tomb Raider here. I really, really want to talk about my favorite franchise with my favorite character. But where can I go? /r/TombRaider is full of Photographer Mode screenshots, and while that's fine, it's not a true discussion, what I crave. Tumblr is just mostly for reblogging GIFs and screenshot edits, and the few pieces of discussion there are by a certain someone's little brigade who keep throwing a tantrum about TR:AoD and Kurtis not getting their "deserved recognition."

So, I sighed, and went to the URL bar of Chrome. With a heavy heart, I typed, "tombraiderforums.com".

But maybe it wouldn't be so bad this time. Maybe it would be just some fun discussion, and the same tired antics wouldn't occur.

I was wrong. I was so, so wrong. And now I am filled with regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
Glad you liked it. but let's get one thing out of the way first. you're the only remaining member of the "oh the tombs are optional in a tomb raider game" club from 2013.

reboot games has way more tombs than any TR game. the optional tombs. are extra challenge rooms to inject even more tombs into the game. as far as the game title, no game lived up to its name since TR4 quite like Shadow.

and that's it.

have a good day. and yup shadow still has whiney Lara and no levers in Australia that open doors in ****ing louisville, kentucky. I advise you to not play it.
this is a good point, which leads me to launch off of this with a short digression.

what tombs are in tomb raider? where? where are they? i mean the series as a whole, not just the reboot.

this is a tomb:

tell me, is Caves a tomb? is Wreck of the Maria Doria a tomb? is Temple of Puna a tomb? is Parisian Backstreets a tomb? what about Ghana? Jan Mayen?

none of these are a tomb. where are the resting places of the dead? where?

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. you do not want MORE TOMBS in tomb raider. if tomb raider was literally a mission-based repetition of completing areas like rottr/sottr's crypts, it would be boring as hell and would not have gotten as far as it has today.

tomb raider is lara's profession. it's her title. what you want are more ruins, caves, and temples that are abandoned and feature mandatory puzzles and climbing. you keep saying you want more tombs in tomb raider, the more optional tombs and crypts crystal dynamics and eidos-montreal are going to add. and you're just going to keep screaming at these and asking for more tombs, and you're not going to learn!

"but calling that definition 'tombs' is the easy thing to say!" i mean, not really? you could also just say "i want more mandatory puzzles in tomb raider". (don't ask for key-finding, it's not coming back lmao.) like... it's not that difficult to articulate what you mean effectively. you don't even have to use a 5-dollar word like "mandatory" and just say "required" or "on the story path".

this has been A LateRaider Post, thank you for reading. i'll send a bill to the address you indicated on your form
Old 14-10-18, 19:00   #8
nevillet
Historian

Loved it. Very well-written monologue as well, I loved how she refers to herself in the third person like she's acting out a character in her own story: "Our fearless adventurer spots another entrance..."