Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 16-08-17, 17:49   #31
Joey79100

No, this is not the same image. And I'm sorry.

To stay on-topic, what bothered me the most graphics-wise were the inaccessible routes in the caves. They were all blocked by very dry brambles, it looked just wrong, like they put it at the last minute. It needed some variation, some vegetation, some wood, I don't know, something to make them look better.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-17, 20:54   #32
Grid21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
I'm pretty sure that they knew exactly what the Xbox One and PS4 are capable of. These consoles are just heavily underpowered and simply can't render games with the same graphical fidelity as a PC.
But can it run Crysis?
Grid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-17, 23:37   #33
Moosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
No, this is not the same image. And I'm sorry.
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 17:25   #34
Mutant Messiah

While reading this thread, I was playing Witcher 3 Blood And Wine -- this is the graphically enhanced and optimized version of the Witcher 3 base game.

When that expansion was created, I think the game engine was reworked from the ground-up to address some graphics performance issues. Surprisingly, it runs better and looks better than the base game.

My laptop runs on 960M, which is just about the equivalent of a 750ti. So every performance dip is visible to me.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a very visually ambitious project, in my opinion. It has more sophisticated lighting/shadows than Witcher 3, at the expense of occasional fps drops.

All those fps drops on Geothermal Valley and Soviet Installation are a result of a CPU bottleneck. There's a quick fix to this--set SHADOWS to MEDIUM. It resolves the issue. But I personally don't like the shadow quality at Medium, so I keep it to HIGH.

Witcher 3 is able to achieve still being able to look good at LOW, something that Rise of the Tomb Raider is having difficulty in achieving.

All those anti-aliasing issues on Rise are not a result of poor anti-aliasing. It's just that there are too many jaggies in the game that we need to use a good-anti-alias.

My laptop is a 1080p screen on 15.6 inches and normally, most games look good on 1080p without anti-alias. It's only in Rise where I see too many jaggies.

My hunch is, the game developers can make the game look less jaggy, only that they need to do some tweaks here and there for optimization purposes.

It's just the game optimization tweaking they use aren't quite the more visually acceptable.

In Witcher 3, you set the TEXTURE to ULTRA and you won't get a significant FPS drop. In Rise of the Tomb Raider, you set TEXTURE to VERY HIGH, and it eats up more than 4 gigs of VRAM (WTF).

Last edited by Mutant Messiah; 29-08-17 at 17:27.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 13:40   #35
mind

Since nobody cares about my blurry shadows, I'm posting it here. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...77/screenshots

Is this only my problem or is this how graphics normally behave in this game?
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 13:44   #36
Wooxman

It's probably a bug in this area. The shadows are supposed to become more blurry the farther away you are to save memory. Maybe in this area the distance you have to the shadow isn't calculated correctly and thus it becomes blurry sooner than it should.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-17, 22:35   #37
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
How dare you!? Trees in WoW look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
In Witcher 3, you set the TEXTURE to ULTRA and you won't get a significant FPS drop. In Rise of the Tomb Raider, you set TEXTURE to VERY HIGH, and it eats up more than 4 gigs of VRAM (WTF).
Yeah. That's because the game needs 8 GB of VRAM or more to play smoothly with textures on very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind View Post
Since nobody cares about my blurry shadows, I'm posting it here. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...77/screenshots
Is this only my problem or is this how graphics normally behave in this game?
Tbqh that's not really a problem. I mean not a game breaking one anyway. I think the shadows look the same on my machine on the highest settings possible, SSAA 4X AT 1920X1080.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 08:54   #38
mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post

Tbqh that's not really a problem. I mean not a game breaking one anyway. I think the shadows look the same on my machine on the highest settings possible, SSAA 4X AT 1920X1080.
But.... it's ugly.

BTW How can you run it on SSAA 4x? It's basically 4k.....
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 20:08   #39
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind View Post
But.... it's ugly.
BTW How can you run it on SSAA 4x? It's basically 4k.....
I have a Nvidia 1080 GTX, but I struggle to get 60 FPS.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote