Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tutorials and Resources

Old 19-01-17, 16:27   #21
DJ Full

I never use poleropes and very little crawlspaces and ladders, all because they slow Lara down, so I never fixed any of these... I'm making some updates regarding this, but these are faster animations rather than fixed default ones, so I'll be useless here

Regardless from anything I think we should contact Core (now easily possible) and give them this new Lara to replace as default in the TRLE download. Otherwise you know what will happen - the builders won't even notice, will keep using the old buggy Lara, same as many builders don't notice revised wads which btw should have been replaced as default either.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 18:21   #22
Dustie

Contact Core? They don't distribute the editor anymore... since they don't exist anymore... The TRLE download is available on fan sites, such as tombraiderchronicles.com.

But speaking of poleropes, speeding up that animation would be nice, she's ridiculously slow on them :-/
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 18:24   #23
AODfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmalone View Post
Really nice project! I wish you the best of luck with it You never realise how many fixes are needed until you look closely. I was playing MoA the other day and noticed that Lara's hand was indeed the wrong way on poleropes.

What about underwater doors where the fact that Lara is always to the side after the animation ends rather than in the middle, if that makes sense?

I'm excited to see more definitive progress!
Thank you!
I added that to the list already
A few frames are missing at the end but it's pretty easy to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gancian View Post
Oops. Sorry.

Oh... I didn't notice that when I tried. Well... Maybe I'll do that again for myself when you'll release your wad with all your fixes. I still prefer the cleaner sounds without the general footstep sound in the way, and I can always assign a sound to every texture so that Lara's footsteps will never be muted.
Thank you anyway for explaining that to me.
Oh don't worry, it does sound nicer without the default footstep sounds but you basically need to assign a sound effect to every single texture or Lara will be completely silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
If you are hardcore, fix the "Going down backwards from 1 click"-bug.
Lara will always play one of the two existing animations.
Not sure if it's possible to fix that, maybe it's possible with the new TRNG update but I'd like to avoid plugins for this, especially if it's only for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapearing-boy View Post
Well I've made a different discovery that works -- if you use fractional triggers and place a bridge/trapdoor one click (or half-click) above the ground, Lara will perform her one-click up/down animation in the new boundary for the tile. Custom width steps and footpaths are perfectly plausible.

So you could have a half block wide steps with correct collision instead of one block steps and it works perfectly, no custom animations needed.

The engine only checks for the height change of Lara and not edge detection unlike the climbing animations, so the 1 click animation does not snap to the tile edges. 2click and 3click climbs will always snap Lara to the edge so fractional climbing/shimmying might not be possible.
This could be useful for all the people who keep pushing the limits of this engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
I never use poleropes and very little crawlspaces and ladders, all because they slow Lara down, so I never fixed any of these... I'm making some updates regarding this, but these are faster animations rather than fixed default ones, so I'll be useless here

Regardless from anything I think we should contact Core (now easily possible) and give them this new Lara to replace as default in the TRLE download. Otherwise you know what will happen - the builders won't even notice, will keep using the old buggy Lara, same as many builders don't notice revised wads which btw should have been replaced as default either.
This is supposed to fix the mess Core Design left behind, not replace the animations with faster ones, so no they won't be useful here

Not sure why we should contact Core? They're not the ones hosting the level editor. But maybe the LE over at tombraiderchronicles.com could be updated once everything has been fixed?
Also maybe a Mod can sticky this so it's always visible?

I updated the download in the first post:

- Added missing water sound effects to crawl animations (217, 219, 221, 260, 261, 269, 270, 273, 274, 275, 276, 289, 301)
- Fixed Lara's arm in crawlspace roll animation (218, 220)
- Added ladder->crawlspace animation (445, Script)
- Enabled crawlspace roll (Script)
- Added missing sound effects to hang->crawlspace animation (287)
- Added missing sound effects to ladder->crawlspace animation (445)
- Added .ani file to WAD

I added all the animations that are fixed to an .ani file so it's easier to copy individual animations over rather than having to dig through the LARA object to find them.
Unfortunately the animations are a bit all over the place right now but I'll reorganise them once everything has been fixed
For the crawlspace arm fix I used Joey's animation.
For the crawlspace roll and the ladder to crawlspace animation I used Titak's scripts.
I didn't add any Credits because this is supposed to be a community effort so I thought Credits would be a bit unnecessary but if anyone wants to be mentioned, let me know and I can add your name to the download.

I also discovered that the "Play step sound on land" and "Play step sound in water" effects are incorrectly named!
The game doesn't actually differentiate between land and water here, the land effect is used to trigger the sound effect for her left foot and the water effect is used to trigger it for her right foot. I assume this is what Core used to determine where to draw the footstep sprites in the PS1 version. I'll have to go back through some other animations where I've used both effects at the same time
AODfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 22:50   #24
Boobandie

You may want to add this sound effect to the package. It's already hardcoded for the run-into-wall animation, just needs to be enabled in the sounds.txt
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-17, 00:53   #25
DJ Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by AODfan View Post
Not sure why we should contact Core? They're not the ones hosting the level editor. But maybe the LE over at tombraiderchronicles.com could be updated once everything has been fixed?
That's what I meant.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-17, 13:47   #26
Dustie

Gosh, reading all these things that are wrong with the original Lara... it really is a lot of stuff!
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-17, 16:15   #27
AODfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
You may want to add this sound effect to the package. It's already hardcoded for the run-into-wall animation, just needs to be enabled in the sounds.txt
I wanted to avoid messing with sounds but I guess I can include it for people who know what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Gosh, reading all these things that are wrong with the original Lara... it really is a lot of stuff!
And I thought I already caught most of it
AODfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-17, 18:16   #28
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AODfan View Post
The shoulder fix has been added to the list already.
This is actually not a bug, it's supposed to be like that. "Play Step Sound" only plays the sand/gravel/wood/etc. sound effect but it doesn't play the stone and water sound effects. If you remove the stone and water sound effects and only leave "Play Step Sound", Lara's footsteps will be completely silent on stone textures.
Would it be possible to alter the way this command works, so it could play "stone" sound when there's no other sound attached? This way you could delete the other sound effect without worrying that Lara wouldn't make any sound.

Also are you going to add or remove the A-HA and/or BODYSL sounds? It would be great if you could add them back especially since the second bodysl sound has recently been released by Peter Connelly.(edit: okay I see the bodysl slot has already been suggested)

Anyway, amazing idea! I will keep on watching this thread, because I also hate some of these bugs. I truly hope you will succeed in fixing crowbar-related bugs as they are the most irritating ones IMO lol.

Btw, is it possible to fix the issue with Lara going back to initial place then falling when you release ctrl while climbing around corners?

Can you also delete the additional "breathing" sound when Lara breaks the water surface? It plays twice instead of just once.

Last edited by Caesum; 20-01-17 at 21:17.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 10:37   #29
AkyV

I don't know if these have been mentioned yet or not:

- The wade bug. If Lara is in waist-deep water and then she comes to knee-deep water then she moves as if she still were in waist-deep water.
- Sometimes if she stands tigthtly at ledges, and I hit the arrows, then she is just turning around, but without performing any animation.
- Probably these are some keyboard bugs: I can turn right only rightwards when dashing, but not leftwards. Something similar exists with banana jumps.

Oh, and the flare bug, the binoculars bug?
And I just read one day in the forums here that double-face bug, caused by shotgun animation.
AkyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 11:20   #30
SrDanielPonces

nvm

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 21-01-17 at 11:21.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote