www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 31-03-17, 20:44   #11
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Perhaps I'm not easily scared, then, because I found the original adaptation more funny than scary. It's just so... corny! See the clip I posted above for the best example.
I watched the clip and I can see it as unsettling but definitely not scary haha!
I think there's just a massive phobia of clowns that everyone seems to have which makes this movie for those individuals much more frightening.
I grew up knowing clowns are in the circus, I even had a picture taken with a clown when I was 7 or 8 years old and was a clown for Halloween once. I'll never understand the fear people have of clowns that aren't obviously meant to be scary like the Tim Curry's.
Old 01-04-17, 09:41   #12
gryffinstark
Student

Unsure of my first impressions!

But watching it yesterday has made me crack open my copy of IT for a trip down memory lane...
Old 01-04-17, 15:44   #13
knightgames
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I watched the clip and I can see it as unsettling but definitely not scary haha!
I think there's just a massive phobia of clowns that everyone seems to have which makes this movie for those individuals much more frightening.
I grew up knowing clowns are in the circus, I even had a picture taken with a clown when I was 7 or 8 years old and was a clown for Halloween once. I'll never understand the fear people have of clowns that aren't obviously meant to be scary like the Tim Curry's.

Why do you think John Wayne Gacy dressed as a clown?

I agree though. While I loved this trailer, the mini series and obviously the book, IT wasn't so much a horror movie as it was an adventure to me. Lots of creepy things went on - most unobserved by the populace. That made it creepy not scary. It's a great adventure movie about normal kids thrust into an outlandish situation.

Frankly (and Stephen always does this well), I love the nostalgia aspects of the book/mini series. Parts like the now adult boys fixing up the bike and taking it for a ride are golden nuggets to my reading eyes and memories. He hits all the points and describes it so well as if you are there. If you lived during one of those special times he lovingly creates you end up in a river of nostalgia. It is strewn with such moments.

I'll be seeing this and The Dark Tower/Gunslinger series too.

EDIT: Regarding Zelda's comment about the jump scare in IT with Pennywize appearing in the storm drain. The sequence was in the original and in the book. That first part is pretty accurate to the beginning of IT. So I'd expect the clown to jump scare there but I hope you're right; that they don't rely on jump scares.

Last edited by knightgames; 01-04-17 at 15:48.
knightgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 17:44   #14
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
I honestly don't get why people think the original was so scary. I found it hilarious! I mean, come on. How you you find this NOT funny?

-snip-
"Excuse me, sir. Do you have Prince Albert in a can? You do!? Well you better let the poor guy out! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA!"

I love this film so much!
Old 02-04-17, 22:52   #15
TombRaiderLover
Tomb Raider

My second most anticipated film of the year after Blade Runner 2049. I've been following the production very closely. Ya'll can find a leaked draft (before Fukunaga departed) if you look hard enough.

Anyway, the trailer looks fantastic and I'm so glad there's so much buzz around it. It's beaten the record for most views in 24 hours. As much as I like the 1990 mini-series, it definitely has its shortcomings and I think the new film will rectify them. The novel is a masterpiece and my all-time favourite book.
Old 03-04-17, 03:30   #16
robm_2007
Legend

I went through a Stephen King phase in high school and thought about reading the book, until I saw it in a teacher's classroom and learned that it was over a thousand pages!!!

I've also never seen the mini-series, which surprises even myself.

Observation: I wonder why they aren't releasing it in October? They would really cash in on the Halloween season (unless there's some research where September movies do better).
Old 06-04-17, 16:55   #17
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

I remember watching the original IT on TV a long time ago. And I found some parts funny.
Old 17-08-17, 14:23   #18
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Nobody posted this, so...

This looks so much more creepy than the original.

Last edited by ggctuk; 17-08-17 at 14:27.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-17, 22:10   #19
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Reviving this thread as there wasn't even any posts following the release

IT was a fantastic film, to the point I've bought the novel and am reading through it now. One thing I really hope is that they don't screw up the sequel. Chapter One had such an incredible cast of down to earth young actors, they need to pick very, very wisely for the sequel. I hear Jessica Chastain is in talks for Bev, which is a good choice, although I'm not sure she's as beautiful as Beverly is described to be as an adult.

I like the idea of Chris Pratt as Ben Hansom although I think he is a bit too much of a star. I saw someone mention the idea of James Ransone from Sinister as Eddie and thought that was a really good choice:
http://www.readingeagle.com/storyima...400&RCRadius=5

They also should absolutely cast Colin Hanks as adult Bill Denbrough. He looks like an older version of the actor from the first film.

Amy Adams is probably too obvious a choice to play Bev, but I think there are definitely some similarities, if you were to mix her with Claire Danes.

I hear the release is 2019.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 16-11-17 at 22:17.
James_Rutland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 16:45   #20
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

As I was the last one to post, and I got told off for bumping previously, I didn't want to break the rules.

I loved it, I actually saw it twice. As I thought, I wasn't that scared by it. I feel Pennywise here is a lot more faithful to the book, though I still like Tim Curry's version for its goofiness. I also loved how they changed some of the scares to be more relevant to the time period (as the book is set in the 50s at the start and monster movies were supposed to be all the rage, so this influenced It's forms in the book). The Georgie one was chilling, but I have to say, the Flute Woman was definitely the most creepy form that It took in the film.

I look forward to the next film, when it comes out. It's supposed to ramp it up as far as scares go. We shall see.

Last edited by ggctuk; 18-11-17 at 08:33.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote