Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 09-07-13, 14:54   #21
jaywalker
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
I am fully aware that the PC version does require the full version of Tomb Raider II to run. And yes, our version of Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask for the PlayStation DOES require the main Tomb Raider II game for the PlayStation, therefore, only people with the game itself will be able to use the level files.

If we have mislead you we did not imply or state the current distribution methods nor do we need to until it's done. Our expected methods would be to provide the files and whatever people do with them to play them is their own business. I was also thinking of making a disc image dumper/patcher to add the additional level files to those with legit copies for that extra piece of verification.

Could you also clarify why it's illegal for me to distribute the level files for the PlayStation? As far as I'm aware I made the conversion tools to convert between the PC and the PlayStation platform so I'm in my rights to distribute those files whenever to who ever I like.

We should also note that we do not condone illegal activities whatsoever.

Regards.
You may have written tools to convert the assets, but you didnt own the assets in the first place.. i may be WRONG, but we still actually own the levels we just chose not to charge for them (dont recall there being any form of GPL etc). Personal usage is fine, which as i said its truly awesome what you've managed to do.

How do you plan to make this work on a 100% non modified PS1 then? how will they load the levels?

Last edited by jaywalker; 09-07-13 at 15:07.
jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 15:06   #22
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
You may have written tools to convert the assets, but you didnt own the assets in the first place.. i may be WRONG, but we still actually own the levels we just chose not to charge for them (dont recall there being any form of GPL etc). Personal usage is fine, which as i said its truly awesome what you've managed to do.

How do you plan to make this work on a 100% non modified PS1 then? how will the load the levels?
I know very well that the assets are not owned by me. That's like saying that people aren't allowed to create custom levels for Tomb Raider 1,2,3,5 using the official assets which are obtained by other means because they simply don't own them.

There is no "plan" at this point how things are going to work out. It's not like we're going to press official discs which simply isn't possible. There are other ways of getting Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask to boot on the PlayStation 1 without software OR hardware manipulation therefore, it's legal.

Regards.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 15:15   #23
jaywalker
Golden

Quote:
I know very well that the assets are not owned by me. That's like saying that people aren't allowed to create custom levels for Tomb Raider 1,2,3,5 using the official assets which are obtained by other means because they simply don't own them.

There is no "plan" at this point how things are going to work out. It's not like we're going to press official discs which simply isn't possible. There are other ways of getting Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask to boot on the PlayStation 1 without software OR hardware manipulation therefore, it's legal.

Regards.
You can pm me if you like and explain how you can put 3rd party files onto a console with no online ability
Old 09-07-13, 15:25   #24
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
You can pm me if you like and explain how you can put 3rd party files onto a console with no online ability
I do not wish to discuss the process. You have a search engine, use it. If you do not know how to do it then it's not my problem. It has been done, I do not need to demonstrate or explain anything to you.

Regards.
Old 09-07-13, 15:29   #25
ajrich17901

Well that escalated quickly
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 15:38   #26
jaywalker
Golden

Quote:
I do not wish to discuss the process. You have a search engine, use it. If you do not know how to do it then it's not my problem. It has been done, I do not need to demonstrate or explain anything to you.

Regards.
I was being courteous and politely asking how you intend to do anything with something you've clearly spent a lot of time on..
Old 09-07-13, 15:51   #27
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
I was being courteous and politely asking how you intend to do anything with something you've clearly spent a lot of time on..
I understand your curiosity as to how things will be working and respect that however, I don't think that you're entirely being polite or respectful. The fact you come here and suggest that we could be condoning such illegal activities is saddening and it shocked me.

Our intentions from the start was not to go beyond such a line and the way you have portrayed the project and the views on how the project could be distributed are wrong. You only seem to be looking at the illegal ways and not taking the more legal ones into account.

Yes, it's quite puzzling at this point how things will be done but nevertheless, it will be released one way or another regardless of permission. This is because when I officially asked I never got a reply which implies Square Enix do not care!

I just feel that you are being over persistent with the questions on the same situation after they were clarified. When we do reveal the distribution methods and you feel that they are at breach of Eidos' legal power. THEN you can talk.

Cheers.
Old 09-07-13, 15:51   #28
KIKO

A friend of mine once converted a cd to the psx format to play a program he had burned into the CD. It is possible
KIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-13, 15:54   #29
jaywalker
Golden

Quote:
I understand your curiosity as to how things will be working and respect that however, I don't think that you're entirely being polite or respectful. The fact you come here and suggest that we could be condoning such illegal activities is saddening and it shocked me.

Our intentions from the start was not to go beyond such a line and the way you have portrayed the project and the views on how the project could be distributed are wrong. You only seem to be looking at the illegal ways and not taking the more legal ones into account.

Yes, it's quite puzzling at this point how things will be done but nevertheless, it will be released one way or another regardless of permission. This is because when I officially asked I never got a reply which implies Square Enix do not care!

I just feel that you are being over persistent with the questions on the same situation after they were clarified. When we do reveal the distribution methods and you feel that they are at breach of Eidos' legal power. THEN you can talk.

Cheers.
Who did you ask?

Also why would we wait until you've finished and gotten your work out to some? if its indeed illegal we have every right to stop you at any point. NOT that i am saying you have to stop anything, i am just speaking hypothetically..

As for feigning being shocked that the i am curious as to your intentions i fear shows a lot of flaws in your view of copyright and ip ownership and other legal issues.

If you had no intention of doing anything illegal you wouldnt have any problem discussing with the IP owner what your intentions are. By hiding things and being short with me you are making yourselves look suspicious. We dont have to prove anything as its our property.. the onus is on you to prove you are not doing anything illegal.

As i KEEP saying, looking at what you've done looks GREAT, and shows a great love for the series, dont spoil it.

Last edited by jaywalker; 09-07-13 at 15:57.
Old 09-07-13, 16:18   #30
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Who did you ask?

Also why would we wait until you've finished and gotten your work out to some? if its indeed illegal we have every right to stop you at any point. NOT that i am saying you have to stop anything, i am just speaking hypothetically..

As for feigning being shocked that the i am curious as to your intentions i fear shows a lot of flaws in your view of copyright and ip ownership and other legal issues.

If you had no intention of doing anything illegal you wouldnt have any problem discussing with the IP owner what your intentions are. By hiding things and being short with me you are making yourselves look suspicious. We dont have to prove anything as its our property.. the onus is on you to prove you are not doing anything illegal.

As i KEEP saying, looking at what you've done looks GREAT, and shows a great love for the series, dont spoil it.
I'm not in any position to reveal who I asked about the situation. All you should know at this point is that the person was pretty high ranked and they probably wouldn't even tell you if you asked. The reason why you'd have to wait until it's finished is to understand the distribution methods, if you are not prepared to wait and want to stop me at any point then you could try.

A little more information on me is that I'm a big Tomb Raider fan. I'm very passionate about the franchise especially the older ones in the series. I thought that bringing such additional levels to the PlayStation would be nice after all these years. And my determination is that I'm going to do it no matter what and that's what drives me and keeps the project on-going.

I don't quite know how all of a sudden I'm "hiding things", could you please tell me what I've hidden because surely if it was hidden then you wouldn't know about it. This is just your speculation and you are free to speculate however, I can confirm we're hiding nothing and if we look suspicious so be it.

I understand that you are trying to keep things under control. But if things are not as what I thought they were, I will definitely pay the price so you do not need to inform us about the legal implications of the project.

At the moment, we are not doing anything illegal and never will be therefore, I can walk away with a clear conscious.

Regards.