Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 13-08-14, 12:52   #1
Greenapple968

Question I'm interested in getting a Capture Card?

It's been brought to my attention quite a few times that recording videogames with a camera is not the ideal method as the quality is usually iffy. Although the quality of my YouTube Uploads is usually acceptable, I do find it frustrating having to try hard to get it like that when I've been informed that Capture Cards are easier and provide better quality.
What I want is a Capture Card that works on the following consoles while played on a standard TV:
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Wii
Playstation 1
Playstation 2
Playstation 3

I would also like to be able to provide commentary while playing; I think requires a headset or something.

Can somebody please recommend a decent Capture Card that will work for me and a solution to providing commentary while playing?
Bearing in mind I am awful with technology so you might have to explain things quite well and in quite good detail.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-14, 17:47   #2
DVDSpike

Hello . It's nice to see you're getting a capture card.

I could reccomned this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EZCAP-TV-116...s=capture+card

For live commentary, just buy a headset, this is the one I'm getting:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DH-878-Surro...ywords=headset

For actually recording commentary, download Audacity and set it to record when you play games. Editing may not be your strong point but for commentary you need an editing software to add your commentary to the video and adjust the volume so you can hear your voice and the game's audio.

Hope I helped
DVDSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 07:29   #3
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
Hello . It's nice to see you're getting a capture card.

I could reccomned this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EZCAP-TV-116...s=capture+card

For live commentary, just buy a headset, this is the one I'm getting:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DH-878-Surro...ywords=headset

For actually recording commentary, download Audacity and set it to record when you play games. Editing may not be your strong point but for commentary you need an editing software to add your commentary to the video and adjust the volume so you can hear your voice and the game's audio.

Hope I helped
Thanks for the suggestion.
That Capture Card is £27? I've seen others online selling for over £100. (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=el...&bih=627&dpr=1)
Is there an obvious reason for the difference in price: quality, compatibility, etc?
I am a noob at technology, I don't suppose there's a tutorial for all the necessities; the downlands and how to use the capture card and headset?
Old 14-08-14, 09:32   #4
Ermagherd589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.
That Capture Card is £27? I've seen others online selling for over £100. (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=el...&bih=627&dpr=1)
Is there an obvious reason for the difference in price: quality, compatibility, etc?
I am a noob at technology, I don't suppose there's a tutorial for all the necessities; the downlands and how to use the capture card and headset?

The one I got is called an easycap, but it can only record AV. That's what you seem to want to record in though, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.Though if you want to record the Ps3 in HD, I assume you get an AV to HDMI cord.
The difference in price is pretty simple. The ones you've looked at can probably record HDMI without any tweaking, so yeah! That's basically all you need to know!
Ermagherd589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 09:40   #5
jackali
Golden

Some pretty poor reviews for that capture card. Do you have it, DVDSpike? Would love to hear about it from someone who owns this.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 10:10   #6
DVDSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackali View Post
Some pretty poor reviews for that capture card. Do you have it, DVDSpike? Would love to hear about it from someone who owns this.
Most of the reviews I read were 4-5 stars,
Old 14-08-14, 11:12   #7
jackali
Golden

And the others saying they received a blank software CD, and that it simply didn't work. Always check the bad reviews first.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-14, 11:42   #8
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermagherd589 View Post
The one I got is called an easycap, but it can only record AV. That's what you seem to want to record in though, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.Though if you want to record the Ps3 in HD, I assume you get an AV to HDMI cord.
The difference in price is pretty simple. The ones you've looked at can probably record HDMI without any tweaking, so yeah! That's basically all you need to know!
I'm not sure if this is significant but I checked my TV Sources; different options for playing/using different things and the three Sources I use are:
TV (This is the Source I think I play my PS1 and Nintendo 64 on)
EXT-1 (This is the Source I think I play my PS2 on)
FAV (This is the Source I think I play my Nintendo Wii on)
I'm not sure about the PS3; I haven't really played it yet.

I don't know if those Sources are at all relevant but those are my TV Sources and consoles and if the Capture Card you suggested is compatible, then that would be good.
I would like the quality to be good and I am happy to spend a reasonable amount; I'm on a decent budget and if the Capture Card I linked you with will work for me, then I'm happy to pay what it's worth.
Just as long as it will work on my TV and consoles and record good quality and enable me to provide commentary as I'm playing, though that would probably be down to the headset which I imagine would be compatible with the Capture Card.
I will need a friend to check all of this for me though; I'm awful with technology but they'll be able to sort out of the downloads and everything and show me how to use it all.
Old 14-08-14, 11:49   #9
DVDSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I'm not sure if this is significant but I checked my TV Sources; different options for playing/using different things and the three Sources I use are:
TV (This is the Source I think I play my PS1 and Nintendo 64 on)
EXT-1 (This is the Source I think I play my PS2 on)
FAV (This is the Source I think I play my Nintendo Wii on)
I'm not sure about the PS3; I haven't really played it yet.
To record they really should all be AV
Old 14-08-14, 12:00   #10
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDSpike View Post
To record they really should all be AV
Is it possible for me to change it so that they are on AV?