Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 14-07-17, 11:36   #51
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Here is another thing they never explained in Legend, how did little Lara escape that big vast temple after her mother got zapped by the portal? She just drops her drawing and walks away. Exactly how was she located and found? We see in the future how crumbly and broken the temple was and I can only imagine how freezing cold it must have been so how did Lara so inexperienced escape that place?
I can buy that maybe the temple wasn't quite so crumbly then even if it was only 20 years earlier. It had to have been a full floor and suddenly collapsed at one point, right?

As for what happened, I remember reading something about a "10 day solo trek to Kathmandu", but that's extremely reaching for a something-like 8 year old girl. It's ridiculous to suggest she could have survived that on her own, with no gear and not really suitable clothing for The Himalayas.

"Richard probably rescued her" makes more sense. Even then however, we'd be talking days or even weeks before he'd find her, given he wouldn't know exactly where the plane went down and Amelia and Lara trekked a good few miles to the temple after the crash. Young Lara wouldn't survive that wait on her own.

Only other explanation I can possibly think of - Maybe there's a remote village not too far from the temple, where she was taken in by some monks or something, who looked after her until Richard arrived. That's literally the only thing that makes sense to me.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 14-07-17 at 11:39.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 17:26   #52
Nigel Cassidy

Well you know, a lot of things in Legend are extremely reaching if you apply the rules of reality of our world onto it, but that is what I like about Legend: it's a fantasy world with a heroine that's pretty much a demi-goddess.

But I suppose you could say that one of the crew of the airplane also survived and they walked to civilization together...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-17, 14:35   #53
King Ultra

That's cool,I never noticed that,this is one of the reasons I love the LAU era,there's so many little details,same goes for the classics too
King Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-17, 09:37   #54
Grimaldi

You know, it's probably not important but I've always wondered who the corpse by the Nepal Dias was, and why it's already active when Lara gets there. He would've had to touch the pillars in the right order. Feels like there should be a story there.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-17, 19:43   #55
ancientIo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
As for what happened, I remember reading something about a "10 day solo trek to Kathmandu", but that's extremely reaching for a something-like 8 year old girl. It's ridiculous to suggest she could have survived that on her own, with no gear and not really suitable clothing for The Himalayas.

"Richard probably rescued her" makes more sense. Even then however, we'd be talking days or even weeks before he'd find her, given he wouldn't know exactly where the plane went down and Amelia and Lara trekked a good few miles to the temple after the crash. Young Lara wouldn't survive that wait on her own.

Only other explanation I can possibly think of - Maybe there's a remote village not too far from the temple, where she was taken in by some monks or something, who looked after her until Richard arrived. That's literally the only thing that makes sense to me.
It sounds like Lara survived by virtue of being Lara Croft.

To survive you need to protect yourself from the cold, but seeing as how Lara is pretty okay by the time she gets to the temple she's probably tolerant to the cold.

With pure luck she'd find shelter, maybe take stuff from the wreckage. In the Himalayas there are recognizable fruits she could eat.

But even then, how would she even find her way? The bio says she miraculously survived, and even then they don't say she's necessarily okay by the end. She'd be malnourished, maybe a little sick. It's possible that as a child she'd be too afraid to venture far out, and would instead wait for help periodically thus increasing her chances of surviving.

It's honestly too bad they don't go in depth about the 10 day trek, that sounds like a really important experience in Lara's life. Imagine this kid who had everything handed to them and suddenly they have to survive in the Himalayas alone.

Last edited by ancientIo; 16-10-17 at 19:46.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 00:44   #56
Boobandie

They retconned a backstory that was miraculous and made it impossible. Lara is eight or nine when the crash happens in Legend, and she survives alone, in the Himilayas, wearing that outfit she was wearing on the plane.

Classic Lara's plane went down when she was 21. She had already been into extreme sports, and had built some of her climbing abilities while at boarding school in Scotland. She was on her way home from a skiing holiday, so most of the warm clothes and basic gear she would need would have been with her. After surviving the crash itself, she basically had all the skills she needed to get out of the Himalayas.

The challenge was that she was alone for the first time in her life, completely isolated in an unforgiving environment, and dealing with having witnessed death. Not that a nine year old survived ten days and traversed through the mountains in nothing but a hat and coat.

Last edited by Boobandie; 17-10-17 at 00:45.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 01:29   #57
ancientIo

I get it. I don't get why they had to make her nine years old. It's way less grounded. From a writing standpoint, it makes the whole alone for the first time thing less significant because she's been sheltered for less time than a 21 year old.

Maybe they thought that a child would elicit more sympathy but if she were a teenager, it would still be pretty traumatic and she'd have a more realistic chance of surviving while still seeming prodigious.

Last edited by ancientIo; 17-10-17 at 01:30.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-17, 00:05   #58
Kapu

Lara Croft pre-2013 survives anything, unscathed. Also applies to childhood. She's not a real person after all, the rules don't apply to her. That's what makes Lara great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Ikr

The LAU games' story was ruined by CD not linking everything together game after game. First off you have (understandable since Legend was made first, but still) Lara in Legend not questioning evidence of a prehistoric universal civilisation, when this is supposedly years after she discovered Atlantis and a demi-God from said civilisation... then Underworld, where absolutely everything from Legend and Anniversary gets dropped in favour of some viking zombies and "Ragnarok"

How cool would Underworld have been if Lara had discovered "Avalon" (a theme introduced in Legend), which also turns out to have been the same lost civilisation that belonged to Natla and the other two?...
I think this is what everyone wanted, except the writers for TRU. I think they wanted to delve into a mythology the TRverse hadn't explored, and bring Lara to locations she had never been. Norse mythology fit the bill, so they twisted their existing story to fit. The result was cluttered and messy and ultimately a failure which disappointed the majority of us. There was a comment from someone at Crystal about why the rain forest level had been cut from TRL, and the answer was that the devs were afraid too much of the game was taking place in South America and that players would get sick of it. It seems this same mentality may have contributed to them avoiding past locations and mythologies in TRU; they were afraid players would be bored.

Last edited by Kapu; 25-10-17 at 00:13.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote