Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 18-08-17, 21:00   #111
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Open world is counter-intuitive for a Tomb Raider game as well. By it's own title, it's pretty much one of the few games justified to have labyrinth-like, borderline claustrophobic levels.

She's a tomb raider, not a savannah ranger. That's the whole point, she explores creepy closed-off places that haven't seen human footsteps for centuries at least. Places like that generally aren't open and accessible, they're enclosed by ruin, by nature or by design.
It's mostly because of the bolded . If Lara was going on the TR3 adventure in real-life , then every level would be open , imagine the jungles of India , the forests and the coastal village , the wilds of Nevada , Antarctica etc . They would all be open realistically , even ruins and underground tombs can be open in design , think Palmyra .

Not saying that I'd favor a full-blown open world TR game , the best size they've gotten is with the hubs in Rise , but that's enough imo , I wouldn't want them to make hubs bigger than those (and thankfully , this doesn't seem to be their plan for Rise , as Noah said that the sequel to Rise won't be "bigger" but "denser") .

Last edited by Patrick star; 18-08-17 at 21:08.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 22:14   #112
Blackmoor

-The sword Excalibur was over designed. Too fancy. It should have been simple, elegant and strong.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 22:23   #113
Wooxman

Too fancy? I think that it's pretty ugly and looks more like an axe than a sword.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 22:31   #114
Blackmoor

I think it's ugly too. I mean fancy in that it's got an elaborate structure and isn't just an straight sword. Which would have been much, much better.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 22:37   #115
Yeauxleaux

I think it just looked an odd texture. Maybe if they re-created it in realistic graphics it would look a lot cooler.

Weird I remember being stunned by how "amazing" I thought Legend's graphics were at the time... how far we've come.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 22:38   #116
Patrick star

Nooo Excalibur is the most beautiful TR artifact imo , I quite liked its unique and distinctive design and how it wasn't crafted like a plain normal straight sword .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 00:24   #117
Nigel Cassidy

It may be kinda ugly, but it also has a mysterious alien look to it. It makes me wonder what kind of beings made and distributed the swords... Alas, the... never mind, I have bitched about Underworld enough...
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 00:41   #118
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I think it just looked an odd texture. Maybe if they re-created it in realistic graphics it would look a lot cooler.

Weird I remember being stunned by how "amazing" I thought Legend's graphics were at the time... how far we've come.
Legend had good graphics for its time. Excalibur being ugly has to do with its design, not with the graphics.

I don't mind the textures they used, but it just doesn't look like a sword.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 21:16   #119
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Legend had good graphics for its time. Excalibur being ugly has to do with its design, not with the graphics.
Oh yes certainly, that's why I was amazed with it at the time. By PS2 standards those were pretty good graphics, and I even remember a game magazine at the time giving the graphics a rating of 10/10. It did impress people, understandably.

My earlier comment was more to do with how it's aged next to newer games. It's scary how far technology has come since then.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 23:06   #120
Chamayoo

I love Excalibur's design, as well as Mjöllnir, Atlas... All Crystal TR artefacts in fact.
Well, I don't know if it is me or some of you who have the unpopular opinion...

Last edited by Chamayoo; 19-08-17 at 23:10.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote