Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 28-11-08, 21:06   #1
Supernova

Default Should CD stop listening to us fans?

Imho they do, I think it's holding them back, trying to please the fan base so often.
TR Underworld comes closest to an old school TR game as the new gameplay allows, but at the same time it doesn't allow the game to evolve the way it should as it did with Legend.

Many fans won't be happy, but let's face it, they never will be. I say forget about 'em and move on. You can never please them all. And the fans that want the old games back need to get over it or move on to something different, it’s been 5 years since the last Core game already! Let Tomb Raider finally get to the next stage, we know CD can take it there.

I'm not saying make it a completely different game (we know how that worked out with AOD, still love it though) but at least make it a truly next gen title. A new experience, something different.

I personally love Underworld, but then again, I love ALL TR games, they have taken the series out of the gutter, now it's time to take a risk and get TR back in the big league titles again.

Because I hate for TR to become just a title for the “fans.”
Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 21:09   #2
Quasimodo

I can see how that would stifle their creativity if they depend too much on us to tell them how things should be.
Quasimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 21:38   #3
Immortalis08

As long as they hear our feedback, I think it is fine. They should not stop listening to us, but at the same time they are not going to do every single thing we tell them to. In fact, I believe the outside world of gamers are very crucial at adding innovation and re-invigorating Tomb Raider. However, my main concern is that one day they may cater to the casual gamer, and forget about us. Then, Tomb Raider will become Uncharted. That is my worry.
Immortalis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 22:27   #4
Caldwin

You see, I actually suggested the same thing in another thread and pretty much got pounced on. But I do think that they need to, not so much as not listen to us at all, but don't limit themselves entirely by what we say.

I've seen it many times, in comics and in games, where the fans think they know what they want. But sometimes the writers will come up with something that, even though it may outrage the fanbase at first, you look back and it was actually the best thing for the franchise.

They shouldn't just stop listening to us completely. There are times when the fanbase knows what it's talking about and if you don't listen, you run into trouble. But at the same time, CD has their own creative team. They were hired because they should be capable to build a game from the bottom up. It's what they do. They shouldn't be held totally to what we say...especially when on a lot of topics, one group of fans say one thing and another group says something entirely different.
Caldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 22:30   #5
Rivendell

In a word: No.

Just because they listen to what we say, it doesn't stifle their own creative abilities, nor limit their own imagination.
We provide the fundamentals and (usually) give suggestions towards the basics. They can do what we want and what they want. We both want TR after all.
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 22:40   #6
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldwin View Post
You see, I actually suggested the same thing in another thread and pretty much got pounced on. But I do think that they need to, not so much as not listen to us at all, but don't limit themselves entirely by what we say.

I've seen it many times, in comics and in games, where the fans think they know what they want. But sometimes the writers will come up with something that, even though it may outrage the fanbase at first, you look back and it was actually the best thing for the franchise.

They shouldn't just stop listening to us completely. There are times when the fanbase knows what it's talking about and if you don't listen, you run into trouble. But at the same time, CD has their own creative team. They were hired because they should be capable to build a game from the bottom up. It's what they do. They shouldn't be held totally to what we say...especially when on a lot of topics, one group of fans say one thing and another group says something entirely different.
Think of game creation for a series like a special, old family recipe. Someone generations ago figured out the proper proportions of the ingredients to make the dish delectable and special. As the later generations tasted and enjoyed the dish, they may have expanded their tastes to other cuisines, and found the dish a bit bland. The relatives all sit down to "improve" the wonderful recipe, and bring their own notions of "taste" and gastronomical wisdom to the discussion. So, they write up a new one with all of the additional changes that the group decide will "make the special family dish modern and "better". Than they set to work cooking up this hodgepodge of ideas into the new and improved family specialty.

I think that everyone knows the outcome, as the old and wise saying spelled it out better than my drawn out story.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth..."
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 22:47   #7
TRLara Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell View Post
In a word: No.

Just because they listen to what we say, it doesn't stifle their own creative abilities, nor limit their own imagination.
We provide the fundamentals and (usually) give suggestions towards the basics. They can do what we want and what they want. We both want TR after all.
I do agree with this... partly. We give suggestions, but we do so on everything. We thought Tomb Raider was becomiing to dramatic so they lessened it... what did that get us? An ending where the emotional value is sucked dry ((partly)). We wanted to get rid of white ledges, they did. Now I have problems finding even a simple ledge right in front of me. Don't get me wrong - it adds to the gameplay value - but do I really want to keep leaping into nothingness only realize that I have to jump a whole 2 inches to the left?
BUT CD can handle the game. They can do whatever they want to the franchise. Add their own ideas. We can't take away the value unless they let us. So I'm a yes and no on this.
TRLara Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 22:48   #8
Candee Sparks

Yes they should, to an extent. No need for me to go into further detail, just that they should do their own thing but at the same time consider us. We know Tomb Raider.
Candee Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 22:59   #9
Larapink

They are professionals, so no I don't think they should listen to fans all the time.
Larapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 23:06   #10
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candee Sparks View Post
Yes they should, to an extent. No need for me to go into further detail, just that they should do their own thing but at the same time consider us. We know Tomb Raider.
Not to be argumentative, but who are "we"? There is no monolithic fan base that speaks as one. The "we" that you speak of consistently writes up a steady drumbeat of conflicting thoughts and ideas time and time again. And in saying that "We know Tomb Raider", that is in the eye of the beholder as well. Some in here are veritable fonts of TR knowledge, spewing forth facts and figures about every game component and Lara like they were born with them. Do they "know" more than the average player?

However, any developer worth their salt would certainly like to know what their buying public likes and dislikes in their product. One can only hope as a consumer that the developer would agree with their assessment of the product and what alterations (if any) were needed over the other jillion buyers.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote