Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 08-06-12, 02:03   #61
t-raider26

They're stone ledges at the edges of cliffs. It's not like they're out of place.
t-raider26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:03   #62
AmericanAssassin

They're not that bad. Like Linoshi said, it's a linear portion. It's not like they're giving much away. You peeps are some drama queens, fo' real.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:04   #63
leglion
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
What i mean is the rule was consistent, the rule didn't change, there was no room for flaw.

The geometry would always be interactive.

Whereas nothing is interactive unless manually, specifically defined by CD in CD's games. The objects in the classic games which we couldn't grab became the entirety of CD's gaming world, and then CD went through and specifically added interactivity.
Just like in Core's games where the only objects that were grabbable were manually assigned...
leglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:05   #64
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by leglion View Post
Just like in Core's games where the only objects that were grabbable were manually assigned...
Okay, put ladders, ropes, poles, and anything else aside, every ledge was grabbable.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:05   #65
:}hello friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander990 View Post
what a dou.....
I try.
:}hello friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:06   #66
Horus-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
What i mean is the rule was consistent, the rule didn't change, there was no room for flaw.

The geometry would always be interactive.

Whereas nothing is interactive unless manually, specifically defined by CD in CD's games. The objects in the classic games which we couldn't grab became the entirety of CD's gaming world, and then CD went through and specifically added interactivity.
And I think the great reason for the different ways we could interact within Core's games and Crystal's games is because one of them, you build the geometry within the editing system. I don't know for certain, but I think current gen games model a lot of the level within a 3D modeling program like 3DS Max or Maya or something. And then later they use some other sort of engine perhaps to define areas of that model. Which means to me, they would have to define the colision of walls, what you could grab and what you couldn't, where you die, etc.

In Core's engine everything is there. Geometry could be built within the engine and the engine could define the various elements of interaction like what is climable (in terms of ladders or monkey bars), where you could insta-die, and so on.

That's really the big difference. So no, not everything in Crystals games can be grabbable, that's silly to say. You could only climb certain areas if they defined it to act that way. Ala scripted jumps, grabbable ledges, and so on.

TR9 doesn't seem to feel quite as clunky or... "clingy" as Crystal's previous TRs. Lara doesn't appear to magnetize anywhere.

And as for the white ledges, it doesn't honestly bother me all that much. I think they could have given the ledges or the frame of the plane a more fitting colour. Something like old rusted metal for the plane, and just a regular dirt texture for the later cliff ledges we saw. We don't constantly need our hand held, and that's beginning to be what it feels like and it's not just because of the ledges. That is the least of my worries... I'm more concerned with camera cues and such like that. As if we are unable to move the camera around manually and look around to plan out how we'll reach a certain area.
Horus-Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:06   #67
Alexander990

meh, don't care,,,,
Alexander990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:12   #68
Steven_1379

yep in Core everything till certain heigth was climbable
anythin 1 inch wide was grable
unless its was so high up there wasnt room for lara to stand like the chimney in her manor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander990 View Post
meh, don't care,,,,
y post?
Steven_1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:12   #69
Denis

boys the white ledges maybe are only at the beginning of the game, obviously in the demo it was from the beginning of her misery
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 02:23   #70
Steven_1379

this is only for the begining so we get used to the controls
for sure when we are in Queen Himiko's chamber there will be no white ledges in the mirror world either or in the islands hollow earth...
trololololo
Steven_1379 is offline   Reply With Quote