Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 14-01-17, 18:05   #21
larafan25

Tomb Raider Legend is... so entirely separate from what a Tomb Raider game is (was/ is defined by the games prior to it) that it is not liked by those who liked, so much, the games before.

Most will list surface-level details of the game, to argue for it's validity as a Tomb Raider game or as a "good" game. However, when you compare and contrast all of the details, it's a long shot.

Particularly for those interested in the character & story of Lara Croft, as this version of "Lara Croft" is not a continuation of the one prior. She is a fresh start, with the intention of revoking certain aspects of Lara Croft, in essence, an anti-Lara Croft.

The game, on a systems-level, as in the mechanical experience of the game, is one that is distinctly separate from the original game.

Last edited by larafan25; 14-01-17 at 18:07. Reason: Though in my opinion the game is very enjoyable.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 18:30   #22
charmedangelin

I don't understand it either to be honest, I never had a problem with Crystal's iteration of Lara Croft up until the reboot.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 19:48   #23
TR1249

It's short, super linear, too easy and the LAU Lara in general gives me the impression, that she only does everything (Searching artefacts etc.) to find Zombie Mother. I prefer the Reboot over her.
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 19:59   #24
wearemany

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I don't understand it either to be honest, I never had a problem with Crystal's iteration of Lara Croft up until the reboot.
I never had any problem whatsoever either. People take issue with Crystal's Lara because her background is different from Core's version, but I never play TR games primarily because of Lara Croft, so I never cared.
wearemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 20:01   #25
SunDormant

If I had to guess why some people hate this game, other than the "it's not a classic" argument, I'd say:
- It's short. Like two hours short.
- It's easy. Some puzzles are good and specially difficult if you're used to the classics' world physics and enviroment, but overall, you can finish it effortlessly.
- Some people hate the motorcycle chases. I like them, but I do admit they're really repetitive.
- Pointless side characters.
- Predictable plot/story. I feel like the lore should have been expanded more.
- Some feminists like myself could find Lara's sexualization in this game to be ridiculous in comparison to previous games.
- There's no sense of isolation like before because of those two parrots (although they did bring up some hilarious lines xD).
- The soundtrack is repetitive and a bit soulless in comparison to classics (I like some tracks, but that's it. I don't adore them like the classics main themes).
- Some people say it's one of the cheesiest TRs. I'm not so sure, but it does feel like a parody of itself, like others have stated.
- At that time, everyone was expecting to know what happened after AOD. Where was Kurtis? What happened to the Cabal or the Nephilim? But no. Reboot xD I'm sure that's another reason.

That's all I can think right now. But don't get me wrong. I actually like the game

Last edited by SunDormant; 14-01-17 at 20:02.
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 21:56   #26
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearemany View Post
I never had any problem whatsoever either. People take issue with Crystal's Lara because her background is different from Core's version, but I never play TR games primarily because of Lara Croft, so I never cared.
To be honest I never really looked at Legend as a reboot, I always thought that after AOD Lara returned to England to continue Tomb Raiding. My favorite part about LAU was the mansion and the musical score they had playing while you were in it. The music combined with the design of the mansion sounded so mystical and encouraged me to explore the wonder that was Croft manor.

My only beef with LAU was that the games were way too short, excluding Anniversary of course, but other then that I had no issues with LAU Lara what so ever.

If they ever went back to classic Tomb Raider I would love for then to bring back the LAU manor because that was the best iteration of the mansion to date.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 22:18   #27
peeves

I'd rather have the classic manor since I didn't really enjoy the LAU manor and I thought legend as a reboot since it didn't connect to the core games.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 22:50   #28
TR-Freak
Unverified

The story is garbage compared to AOD or Last Revelation.
It's linear af and there are really no puzzles except maybe Ghana and Kazakhstan (Ghana was pretty TR-ish though)
I liked Keeley, but Elliott was better.
The whole Japan Section is garbage, too.
Zip and Alister can't keep their mouth shut.
Tomb Raider started to slowly transformed into a action shooter here.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 22:53   #29
Caesum

Personally I think Legend is the best TR game made by Crystal Dynamics. It tops anything that was given to us later. Yes it's short, yes it's easy and yes it has an awful main story, but the gameplay is nice, Lara is fresh and everything feels just so much more modern, fluid and smooth after TRAOD. Legend was a breath of fresh air that revitalized the series. It's so sad that such a great debut was later destroyed by other games. I mean, I like TRA, but it was rather boring after TRL(and it destroyed TR1 story) and Underworld was awful. Then reboot happened and it just wasn't the same anymore.

Actually I think lately Legend is getting more recognition while TRA+TRU+TReboot are more trashed.

Last edited by Caesum; 14-01-17 at 22:55.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 00:09   #30
Ceamonks890

Back when this game originally released in '06, I had just finished AoD as my first proper introduction to the Tomb Raider franchise the previous year. So I was expecting a continuation of that game and wanting to know what was going to happen to Core Lara and Kurtis next, as they dealt with the ever-increasing Nephilim threat.

But imagine my shock as a 13 year old kid in 2006(whom didn't have complete internet access often back then), when I came across Legend in my local game rental store and took it home to play. Needless to say, I was very disappointed to see it wasn't a continuation of Core's work but a full-on reboot(as again, I was unaware of AoD's negative reception at the time).

From what I can recall of my first playthrough of Legend, I liked the gameplay just fine, Zip and Alister weren't that annoying then, the story and soundtrack were OK(if nothing too memorable after Murti Schofield/London Symphony Orchestra) and the varied locales were fun to explore in.

As I grew older however and got the proper chance to play the PS1 games 'round 2013 I believe, a lot of what I once liked about Legend(and Anniversary/Underworld by association), quickly turned to severe disgust.

What I once thought as entertaining dialogue from Zip and Alister in Legend was now seen as mainly annoying/immersion-breaking to me as an adult, Lara herself lacked a lot of the fun rebellious independent personality that I'd grown to appreciate throughout the PS1 games/AoD, gameplay/level design felt like even more of a downgrade than I originally thought it was and the overarching story throughout the LAU trilogy... well, it was just bad and very poorly thought-out. Plain and simple.

The only qualities about Legend I still feel holds up well today, is Keeley Hawes' voice acting and the soundtrack(which I've developed an appreciation of over the years). Anniversary I've grown to hate with a burning passion however and Underworld's only good for the gameplay and soundtrack.

Last edited by Ceamonks890; 15-01-17 at 00:12.
Ceamonks890 is offline   Reply With Quote