"The only way out is in"

Link to first thread: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...highlight=Evil

No Spoilers Short Trailer

Full Reveal Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

Developer: Tango Gameworks
Publisher: Bethesda
Genre: Survival Horror
Platforms: PC, PS4, XBOX One, (Scorpio?)
Release Date: 13th October 2017

----------------------------------------------------------------

I can't...even.... Crying tears of joy right now

I know some people didn't enjoy the first game, thought it had too much action and complicated storyline, but this is now my favourite horror game ever. I didn't really follow that much either on my first playthrough but after playing so many times the story actually makes sense, just leaves somethings unanswered for this sequel. The DLC with Kidman was also amazing and filled many holes! I would like Kidman to be in this game but it doesn't look like she is. (At least playable anyway).

From the trailer is sounds like her voice actress has changed. I really hope not as I love Jennifer Carpenter as Kidman. I will be devastated if she's replaced.

I think people who didn't complete the first game should definitely give it another go! Give it another chance and enjoy it for what it is!

Last edited by Tombraider95; 12-06-17 at 19:17.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 05:35   #2
Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I know some people didn't enjoy the first game, thought it had too much action and complicated storyline,
And this is exactly why it will be hard for these people to feel invested in the sequel.

I mean, it's normal to not being able to understand the universe and everything if you play exclusively the sequel to a game and skip the first one, but if it required you many playthroughs to even understand a minimum the story, don't expect new players to the franchise to go through the hassle of playing the first game many time before buying the sequel. You can bet it's going to get a lot of visibility this October and people will probably buy it without playing the first game... And if it's as bad as Evil Within 1 in term of storytelling (and it could even be worse since it's a sequel), you can be sure it's going to affect the score.

I just hope they offer the tools for newcomers to get invested this time around, because damn, the first game was a mess storywise.

Last edited by Isaac; 12-06-17 at 05:36.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 07:01   #3
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
but if it required you many playthroughs to even understand a minimum the story, don't expect new players to the franchise to go through the hassle of playing the first game many time before buying the sequel.
Nah you misunderstood. I understood the basic storyline and what was happening, however on my many playthroughs I've picked up more information and details from reading documents or noticing things that I didn't realise were connected.

This is a good thing. I'd rather it be this way than a boring predictable plot. But I also really enjoy the gameplay which is more important than the story to me.

------------------------------

More details!

Quote:
Story of Redemption – Return to the nightmare to win back your life and the ones you love.
Discover Horrifying Domains – Explore as far or quickly as you dare, but prepare wisely.
Face Disturbing Enemies – Survive the onslaught of horrifying creatures determined to rip you apart.
Choose How to Survive – Craft traps, sneak, run and hide, or try to battle the horror with limited ammo.
Visceral Horror and Suspense – Enter a frightening world filled with anxiety-inducing thrills and disturbing moments.
Quote:
Years before the events of first game, Sebastian's daughter, Lily, passed away in a tragic house fire. At least, that's what he originally thought. The Evil Within 2 follows Sebastian as he travels to the city of Union. With Lily's mind at the core of its very creation, Union is a mix of claustrophic environments and wide open areas ripe for player exploration. You'll be expected to delve into this inhumane world to save your daughter from the clutches of evil. “The story we’ve crafted for you is very compelling,” Executive Producer Shinji Mikami says. “Each stage you’ll delve into is very unique. I hope people enjoy the game, and I encourage everyone to thoroughly explore the world.”
Quote:
Taking place in the city of Union, Sebastian will travel between a mixture of real world and supernatural locations in search of answers regarding his daughter's whereabouts. Your former colleague, Juli Kidman, will be on hand to guide you through treacherous puzzles and hostile enemies. Sebastian will be expected to put his detective skills to good use if he hopes to stand any chance of survivial.

Psychological horror also appears to play a larger role this time around. Much of the fear will stem from the innards of Sebastian's mind. The original game transported us to some truly demented locations, and Tango Gameworks seems to have upped the ante in several ways. Hopefully the moment-to-moment gameplay is somewhat less clunky this time around.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/t...-news-preorder

More screenshots here:

http://gearnuke.com/evil-within-2-sc...firmed-return/

The camera creature looks awesome! Maybe linked to Paparazzi perhaps?
Old 12-06-17, 07:10   #4
sackboy123

So hyped, always love E3
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 09:29   #5
fondantcookie

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS EVIL WITHIN WAS A MASTERPIECE !!!!!

and its not even too far off...

ARGHHHHHH
fondantcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 09:50   #6
dcw123

Can't wait for this..

TBQH the storyline was not THAT complicated.

I think the issue is, most players are just used to dumb shootem up style games which have very limited storylines anyway.
I think most people who didn't get it must be pretty stupid IMO
While I do appreciate the whole 'STEM' thing could have been explained better - sometimes thats part of the mystery and it adds to the horror aspect.. facing the unknown (Silent Hill often did things like this)

Sure, you could find extra bits of info in documents - but a lot of these were not essential in understanding the basic story arc. TR does this and nobody complains..

The DLC was handled better IMO and filled in the gaps - but this was clearly intentional - and again not the first game to do so.
RE4 did this with Ada .. heck even RE1 and 2 - players crossing paths and then doing their own quests.
I actually like this style of storytelling.. different character perspectives
Evil Within felt very Silent Hill for me in terms of the psychological stuff - its a shame that SH has kind of gone off the radar..
The reused 'shade' monster (a camera head) looks pretty darn cool - I always found her so damn scary the first time around.

Kind of a shame for people that haven't played the first game - but that is usually how sequels go anyway.
Hopefully they'll link the ending fro the first game to this - Ruvik surely should return in some form.. he may even be the cause of all this again?

I liked the more physiological aspect here too - same with Kidmans DLC levels.. I love the symbolism and figuring them all out, what they mean etc

Last edited by dcw123; 12-06-17 at 09:56.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:00   #7
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantcookie View Post
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS EVIL WITHIN WAS A MASTERPIECE !!!!!

and its not even too far off...

ARGHHHHHH
I know right!!?? Tomorrow it'll be 4 months away!! So excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Can't wait for this..

TBQH the storyline was not THAT complicated.

I think the issue is, most players are just used to dumb shootem up style games which have very limited storylines anyway.
I think most people who didn't get it must be pretty stupid IMO
While I do appreciate the whole 'STEM' thing could have been explained better - sometimes thats part of the mystery and it adds to the horror aspect.. facing the unknown (Silent Hill often did things like this)

Sure, you could find extra bits of info in documents - but a lot of these were not essential in understanding the basic story arc. TR does this and nobody complains..

The DLC was handled better IMO and filled in the gaps - but this was clearly intentional - and again not the first game to do so.
RE4 did this with Ada .. heck even RE1 and 2 - players crossing paths and then doing their own quests.
I actually like this style of storytelling.. different character perspectives

Evil Within felt very Silent Hill for me in terms of the psychological stuff - its a shame that SH has kind of gone off the radar..
The reused 'shade' monster (a camera head) looks pretty darn cool - I always found her so damn scary the first time around.
Completely agree! I really like having the story from other people's perspective too! I loved Ada's campaigns and Kidman's just as much. However I fear we won't play Kidman in this at all. tbh I won't want too if Jennifer isn't voicing Kidman.

I like the fact this game has the advantage of jumping from one place to another with no natural progression, environment wise. It's constantly exciting because you never know when it's going to mix it up. Too many games nowadays are too focused on realism, this has a lot of imagination and has barely any limits which is great!

I love the new monster designs. I'm already thinking of why they exist. The flame thrower guy could be related to his house burning down. The camera monster being linked to Paparazzi maybe? That black ghost at the beginning looks great and has Laura's head....but also Laura's back!!! I'm so happy about that!
Old 12-06-17, 10:03   #8
dcw123

^ Yeah - I mean look at games like Silent Hill 2 and 3 - they're adored by fans for the most part.. and they were quite complex.
You don't hear people complaining about those games though (well maybe the HD port haha)

I think its about time we had another game which actually encourages multiple playthroughs to uncover the storyline - sick of buying a game, playing it once and never playing it again coz it was boring or had no replay value

I also love how it has actually been three years since the first game - both in the game's storyline and in real life haha
TEW1 came out 2014.. 3 years ago

Last edited by dcw123; 12-06-17 at 10:06.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:55   #9
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
^ Yeah - I mean look at games like Silent Hill 2 and 3 - they're adored by fans for the most part.. and they were quite complex.
You don't hear people complaining about those games though (well maybe the HD port haha)

I think its about time we had another game which actually encourages multiple playthroughs to uncover the storyline - sick of buying a game, playing it once and never playing it again coz it was boring or had no replay value

I also love how it has actually been three years since the first game - both in the game's storyline and in real life haha
TEW1 came out 2014.. 3 years ago
In an interview for the first game Shinji Mikami said that the story was more like a puzzle that the player would piece together as the game went on. I like this as the story is part of the gameplay, rather than being laid out in front of me.

I hadn't noticed it's been the same time which is pretty cool. I just hope they explain or show what happened after The Consequence ended.

I love how this looks much more "Next Gen" than the first game. I think the first one was built for PS3/xbox360, but then ported onto PS4/xbox one at better qualities? But it still felt like a last gen game. This is definitely up with the times!

I'm sure Sebastian will be more fleshed out too in this game, as in the first the story didn't really involve him much. I wonder if we will see Joseph? hmm
Old 12-06-17, 10:59   #10
jackali
Golden

Really wish they hadn't changed the name of the first game (or this) for the western release. Psycho Break is much better, in my opinion. Tentatively looking forward to this otherwise.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote