Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 08-01-24, 11:54   #1
DragonSlayer

Default Star Trek Discovery has been cancelled

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...ven-worse.html

In the link above it says that Star Trek Picard was cancelled, Picard was never cancelled it was always intended that Picard would be 3 seasons.

I never liked Star Trek Discovery I watched several episodes of season one but couldn't get into it, I gave up after the time loop episode, with the time loop episode they could have had some fun with it by letting the characters do whatever they want without having to worry about consequences like the classic Stargate SG-1 episode Window of Opportunity.

Discovery took itself too seriously, go watch The Orville instead it's more like Star Trek than Discovery, I bet that they regretted calling the show Star Trek Discovery because of it's nickname STD.

This is what I disliked about Discovery
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=135

If anyone had asked me years ago which was my least favourite Star Trek I would have said Deep Space 9 the Bajoran religious stuff was a turn off for me, DS9 has been replaced by Discovery as my least favourite Star Trek, in the years since DS9 ended I like it a lot more despite the Bajoran religious stuff.

Kai Winn was the most irritating character in Star Trek until almost the entire cast of Star Trek Discovery.

With the exception of Ensign Tilly the entire cast of Star Trek Discovery are the most unlikeable characters I've ever seen Gene Roddenberry would be turning in his grave if he saw STD, STD was influenced by JJ Abrams Star Trek lens flare and irritating characters everywhere.

Star Trek Lower Decks is much better than STD as it doesn't take itself too seriously.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-24, 20:18   #2
wimc

On my Paramount+ list are...

Star Trek Discovery
Star Trek Strange New Worlds
Star Trek Picard

Watched all seasons each. Just waiting to see what 2024 brings, if anything.

I personally enjoyed all of them.
wimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-24, 10:47   #3
wimc

Star Trek: Discovery
Final Season Streaming April 2024
wimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-24, 17:28   #4
deadmando9

I agree with Dragonslayer, the STD characters were irritating. Not to mention way too "woke". You gotta have a balance when making TV shows IMHO, between the woke fans and the conservative fans otherwise your show won't do well.
deadmando9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-24, 19:39   #5
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmando9 View Post
I agree with Dragonslayer, the STD characters were irritating. Not to mention way too "woke". You gotta have a balance when making TV shows IMHO, between the woke fans and the conservative fans otherwise your show won't do well.
I've always thought of Saru as a walking Shrimp if the crew ever runs out of food Saru will be on the menu.

The Klingons in STD were very irritating especially when they spoke very very slowly for what felt like several years.

Whoever approved the design for the STD Klingons and their ships should be beamed into space and left to float in space for all eternity.

I did find it amusing when that Klingon said shush.

STD is nothing more than a generic science fiction TV show masquerading as a Star Trek TV show that's all STD was and always will be, it's Star Trek in name only nothing more.

The same can be said for the JJ Abrams movies the first one was ok, the second one was a copy of Wrath of Khan and the third jumped the shark by jump starting a starship by throwing it off a cliff and using a Beastie Boys song to destroy the enemy fleet plus why would a starship have a motorbike on board, the third JJ movie was nothing more than Star Trek Fast and Furious edition.

The only thing that I could do when I saw the above scenes in ST Beyond was and

All that was missing was a scene where Dom Toretto and his family show up to save the Enterprise crew from themselves.

The version of Starfleet in STD must not require Starfleet officers to be intelligent, I remember in one episode a character dropped the forcefield containing a very dangerous creature that she knew killed the entire crew of another ship, she was quickly killed I don't know what she thought would happen maybe she thought the creature would want to have a drink with her, regardless of why she did what she did it was a very stupid thing to do.

STD should have been cancelled after the first season.
Old 15-01-24, 23:01   #6
deadmando9

Talking

QUOTE from DragonSlayer, "All that was missing was a scene where Dom Teretto and his family show up and save the Enterprise crew from themselves" ROTFLOL! That was hilarious!
Old 16-01-24, 14:16   #7
DragonSlayer

I didn't like most of the characters in the JJ movies the only 2 that I liked were McCoy and Sulu they were the only 2 characters they got right, the rest not so much.

In the first movie Spock was a violent thug Leonard Nimoy would never have played Spock that way, also Spock yelling Khan was just meh William Shatner did a better job yelling Khan than Zachary Quinto did, also when Leonard Nimoy's Spock lost his temper in The Undiscovered Country he showed it by viscously knocking the phaser out of Valeris's hand which was better than how Quinto handled Spock losing his temper.

Chris Pine was not right for the part of Kirk IMO in the third movie as the Enterprise was being destroyed the only thing he did was run around the ship as it was falling apart with a goofy expression on his face clearly determined to get to an escape pod while he left his crew to fend for themselves, Chris Pine should stick to comedy it's all he's good for.

Uhura came across as whiny especially in the second movie where the only thing that she did was relentlessly pout about her relationship with Spock, they both need to talk to Jeremy Kyle.

Simon Pegg was just about ok as Scotty, his Scottish accent wasn't very convincing Paul McGillion who you might know from Stargate Atlantis can do a far superior Scottish accent compared to Simon Pegg, Simon Pegg should stick to comedy just like Chris Pine should.

Chekov got very little character development which can happen when there's a large cast, at least he got to say the legendary wessels line.

Benedict Cumberbatch was definitely miscast as Khan, anyone else would have been better for the part of Khan I'm surprised that there weren't accusations of whitewashing and if there were any I'm not aware of them also the look on Cumberbatch's face made it look like he was constantly constipated throughout the movie, less Cumberbatch more cumbersome.

The underwear scene in the second movie was unnecessary as much as I like seeing women in underwear it was completely unnecessary and clearly aimed at 15 year olds, in response to the fuss surrounding the underwear scene JJ in a bizarre attempt to address the controversy surrounding the scene showed a deleted scene of Khan in the shower as if that would somehow address the controversy obviously it didn't, how JJ felt that it would address the controversy is a mystery.

One plot hole in the second movie that shows just how little JJ knows about Star Trek is when Admiral Pike removes Kirk from command of the Enterprise for violating the Prime Directive by revealing the Enterprise to the aliens at the start of the movie, revealing the Enterprise to the aliens is not a violation of the Prime Directive, interfering in an alien society is a violation of the Prime Directive which Kirk and his crew did when they saved the aliens from extinction by turning off the volcano with their fancy device.

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the cast of the JJ movies had farting competitions on the set, doing that on the Enterprise is disrespectful to both the Enterprise and Star Trek, it's like the entire cast turned into Beavis and Butthead.

The JJ Enterprise is my least favourite Enterprise, from it's excessively white bridge and the oversized nacelles JJ is clearly trying to compensate for something by having oversized nacelles on the ship to the lack of a visible warp core, in the first movie the warp core was nothing more than overpowered Energiser batteries and in the second movie it looked like a bauble wrapped in tin foil.
Old 17-01-24, 23:09   #8
deadmando9

All true. All in all though Abramsverse Star Trek movies could have been worse. Hell, J.J. could have decided to keep Pike or Spock in the command chair throughout all 3 movies.
Old 19-01-24, 15:27   #9
DragonSlayer

This is unrelated to both STD and the JJ movies.

Way back in the day when I went to see Star Trek Generations which is the first Stsr Trek movie I saw in a cinema, anyway when the saucer section finally came to a stop on the planet surface.

2 things I noticed 1 it felt like an eternity after the saucer section stopped before it switched to the bridge, time literally stood still in that room and 2 after the entire scene starting with the Enterprise being fired at by the Klingon ship and ending with the saucer section finally stopping, when it stopped the silence in the room was deafening there was total silence it was so quiet you could literally have heard a pin drop.

Now I know what it's like for the characters in the A Quiet Place movies to live in a world of total silence.
Old 14-02-24, 19:27   #10
DragonSlayer

Star Trek's most controversial series cancelled and that's the best possible outcome
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...n-31-show.html

Anything and everything connected to Discovery should be cancelled.