Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 30-01-19, 07:45   #101
Woops

Yep, the problem is some releases of TR2 have exes that give you forward momentum when you hit a wall, instead of backwards like all other games, all big boxes have normal backwards momentum, but most other releases that followed had the forwards momentum. I'm glad you got the glitch though
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 14:27   #102
Mek

I've found the interview with Gavin Rummery that we mentioned earlier in this thread. According to it, the player was meant to obtain the unreachable medipack in Temple of Xian.

It turned out that it is not exactly a full interview, but only a question about the unreachable medipacks in Palace Midas and Temple of Xian answered by Gavin Rummery. It is here:

http://trinity.whsites.net/tomb/oldn...98d.html#ref29

The section titled "The Large Medi Pack Conspiracy" gives the answer:

We asked if the ladder leading up to the large Medi Pack in Temple of Xian was originally meant to be scalable. He answered, "Yes, but there was some detection deal with the climb and the slope at the bottom (I can't remember the details now), and for some reason this ladder wouldn't let Lara hang on to it properly. It was only found at the last minute, and by then it was a bit late to do anything about it," Gavin tells us.

On the other hand, what follows from the full text of the article is that the unreachable medipack in Palace Midas was meant to be a joke.

After reading this article I am convinced that the unreachable medipack in Temple of Xian is a bug and was unintentional.

Last edited by Mek; 14-04-20 at 14:30.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 14:41   #103
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
After reading this article I am convinced that the unreachable medipack in Temple of Xian is a bug and was unintentional.
I haven't checked out the interview yet, but my initial thoughts are that it's hard for me to believe that this was unintentional. Core had a running gag where they put at least one unreachable healthpack in every Tomb Raider game. I have difficulty believing that Core would avoid putting an unreachable healthpack in TR2 but put at least one unreachable healthpack in every other Tomb Raider game. Core have made controversial claims before; an obvious example being the claim that Lara's large breasts came as the result of an accident.

Having said that, my opinion regarding this unreachable healthpack in Temple Of Xian might change after I check out the interview.

Last edited by tlr online; 14-04-20 at 15:33. Reason: Removed back seat moderating.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 15:31   #104
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Thanks for posting Mek.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 15:41   #105
Mek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968
I haven't checked out the interview yet, but my initial thoughts are that it's hard for me to believe that this was unintentional. Core had a running gag where they put at least one unreachable healthpack in every Tomb Raider game. I have difficulty believing that Core would avoid putting an unreachable healthpack in TR2 but put at least one unreachable healthpack in every other Tomb Raider game. Core have made controversial claims before; an obvious example being the claim that Lara's large breasts came as the result of an accident.

Having said that, my opinion regarding this unreachable healthpack in Temple Of Xian might change after I check out the interview.
Greenapple968, I know about the unreachable medipacks in the other Tomb Raiders (proof: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...6&postcount=56). For instance, when you think about the one in "Escape with the Iris" (when you need the weapon to kill the guard), do you think it was intentional? Certainly not - it is almost impossible to discover. If there are no other unreachable medipacks in TR5, then TR5 doesn't have an intentional unreachable medipack.

As regards the Temple of Xian medipack, everyone can have his opinion. Because the information came from a person who was part of the team working on Tomb Raider II and as a programmer he must have been talking to the level designers, I believe him. Another argument supporting the thesis is what Woops mentioned: the wall is flagged as climbable (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...4&postcount=99).

Last edited by tlr online; 14-04-20 at 15:44. Reason: Removed a quote that no longer exists.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-20, 16:32   #106
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Greenapple968, I know about the unreachable medipacks in the other Tomb Raiders (proof: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...6&postcount=56). For instance, when you think about the one in "Escape with the Iris" (when you need the weapon to kill the guard), do you think it was intentional? Certainly not - it is almost impossible to discover. If there are no other unreachable medipacks in TR5, then TR5 doesn't have an intentional unreachable medipack.

As regards the Temple of Xian medipack, everyone can have his opinion. Because the information came from a person who was part of the team working on Tomb Raider II and as a programmer he must have been talking to the level designers, I believe him. Another argument supporting the thesis is what Woops mentioned: the wall is flagged as climbable (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...4&postcount=99).
The unreachable medipack in Tomb Raider Chronicles doesn't exist in my version of the game; I did the all weapons cheat and killed all of the enemies in Escape With The Iris but none of them dropped the healthpack. I am aware that the medipack does exist in some versions; I've seen a video of it. I suspect that this unreachable healthpack was intended; it was plausible that some people would use the all weapons cheat as a way of giving themselves an advantage and then stumble upon the healthpack.

As for the healthpack in Temple Of Xian, it's looking more believable that the medipack wasn't intended as being unreachable. Regardless of whether or not certain healthpacks were intended as being unreachable, it is safe to conclude that at least some of them were intentionally unreachable. However, people have found ways of obtaining at least some of the unreachable medipacks.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote