Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 24-03-12, 08:01   #1
BrYaN55

Default St. Francis' Folly timed door puzzle

I am replaying TR1 again and this time I want to collect all the secrets...

I remember being able to enter the timed door in St.Francis' Folly without doing the timed run for it. I'm pretty sure of this because this is the first time I read about a timed door, I never knew how to enter this door before, and yet, I'm 100% sure I did enter inside before... a few times actually...

It was on the PlayStation version most probably.
BrYaN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12, 09:27   #2
aussie500
Golden

On the PC you could probably do it with some sort of position editor, cannot say I have ever seen a cheat for the PS1 that would get you through a locked door. It will be interesting to see if anyone knows how it can be done. If you are playing on a console, I would just do the timed run while waiting, it is likely to be easier and faster.

Really the timed run is not that hard, just make sure you go down and kill any lions first, and do it before that pest Pierre comes out of hiding. When I first played it took me ages to work out where the secret was that I missed the first few times, I was suspicious of that square but could not work out what it opened if anything. I accidentally fell off and died in front of the door once while it was open and the secret became obvious. The solution was not so obvious back then I have to admit, I had Lara jumping all over the place trying to get down there in time. After years of practice the best route was easy. If you are willing to cheat to get in, you might as well look at a youtube video to learn the secret of doing it right. It would not be that hard to find one.

Last edited by aussie500; 24-03-12 at 09:29.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12, 11:03   #3
BrYaN55

Thanks! But I can do the timed door thing pretty easily, I just wonder how I entered this door before in my other playthroughs without doing the timed run...
Old 25-03-12, 02:25   #4
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrYaN55 View Post
Thanks! But I can do the timed door thing pretty easily, I just wonder how I entered this door before in my other playthroughs without doing the timed run...
There would be no other way then, perhaps you were thinking of a different door?
Old 25-03-12, 06:12   #5
BrYaN55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
There would be no other way then, perhaps you were thinking of a different door?
No, this is the one, I'm 100% sure! Maybe I triggered the timed door without knowing and I was pretty lucky to make it in time
Old 25-03-12, 07:58   #6
aussie500
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrYaN55 View Post
No, this is the one, I'm 100% sure! Maybe I triggered the timed door without knowing and I was pretty lucky to make it in time
Were you playing with some sort of god mode cheat that would have prevented Lara dying when she fell or jumped down there? Otherwise no, the timing is too tight to accidentally get down there and be alive to pick up the secret.
Old 26-03-12, 02:35   #7
BrYaN55

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500 View Post
Were you playing with some sort of god mode cheat that would have prevented Lara dying when she fell or jumped down there? Otherwise no, the timing is too tight to accidentally get down there and be alive to pick up the secret.
No I have never used any cheat.

I did play the game on emulator (Epsxe) a few times, but I can't remember if this happened to me while playing on emulator, Ps3, or PC. But like I said, I'm pretty sure it was on the Ps1 version, not the PC, but I may be wrong.
Old 26-03-12, 03:32   #8
benjamin_2010

I feel like I have also been able to saunter into that timed secret at the bottom on St. Francis' Folley without any particular speediness, or even awareness of the fact that I had triggered it.

Perhaps there is a glitch, or maybe I just don't know when I trigger it. Ha! As for your situation, I guess all I can say is I've had a similar experience.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-12, 05:52   #9
rr_carroll
Bug Scientist

It's conceivable to me that out of the many thousands of people who have played this game, a few simply stumbled straight into the correct actions for this puzzle. Aurimas found the dive bug in TR2's 40 Fathoms in that way. He remarked that he just thought that was the normal path.

Last edited by rr_carroll; 26-03-12 at 05:54.
rr_carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-12, 08:52   #10
BrYaN55

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_2010 View Post
I feel like I have also been able to saunter into that timed secret at the bottom on St. Francis' Folley without any particular speediness, or even awareness of the fact that I had triggered it.

Perhaps there is a glitch, or maybe I just don't know when I trigger it. Ha! As for your situation, I guess all I can say is I've had a similar experience.
That's good to hear, I was feeling lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_carroll View Post
It's conceivable to me that out of the many thousands of people who have played this game, a few simply stumbled straight into the correct actions for this puzzle. Aurimas found the dive bug in TR2's 40 Fathoms in that way. He remarked that he just thought that was the normal path.
I did the timed run a few times now, and I'm pretty sure it was not what caused the door to open in my past playthroughs. The "tile" on which you have to stand is placed on top of a door, in a place you don't normally need to go unless you want to do the timed run for the secret door.