Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-04-18, 15:30   #91
CrowdedToaster

Giant animals/reptiles would be cool! Like maybe larger versions of real creatures, like the big spiders in TRU. A gigantic snake would be cool too. And it wouldn't be unrealistic either, since they could pass it off as it being that the creature was so isolated that it evolved into its massive form from years of development
CrowdedToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-18, 17:52   #92
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post

How about new and exciting enemies, clothes and locations, guys??? Any ideas?
I agree and usually I'm one of the one's lamenting people asking for same old thing everytime. I'm always saying, I want something new and not the same old same old. And I know I've also posted on here previously saying, no dinosaurs please, not at this stage (whenever it was I said it), because it's been done three times before!!!

But...........

I feel that dinosaurs at this stage in the franchise and storyline is actually now the fresh and invigorating thing to do. It doesn't have to be the same old scenerio - a T rex stomping into view like in TR1 and TR2, there are so many different ways it can play out and creatures that can be used.

I brought up dinosaurs because looking at the dark jungle background in the concept art picture, it seemed the ideal place to have something amazing and unexpected lurking in there.

And something believably terrifying. Which I'm going to be honest here, having mayan monsters may or may not bring that because unlike dinosaurs, they'll be "made-up" entities and it's harder to make something made-up believable and not "video-game-ish". I'm not saying it can't work with mayan monsters, but it already doesn't have that appeal to me. And this has nothing to do with what has been or hasn't been done in TR before, it's to do with believability. I never bought into those eitr beings in TRU (although some of them were extremely well designed) because they're made-up monsters. Same as I never bought into the torso creature in TR1. It's the reason why a lot of monster movies fail to thrill - it's so difficult to invent believable creatures.

What we have now is a depth of graphical capability that ought to be used on something imaginative. We also have attack mechanics and diverse weaponry that ought to be used for interesting scenerios.

Put that together and I can see a believably scary scenerio of not wanting to hack deeper into the dark jungle for fear something truly terrifying is in there..... like a dinosaur. And if all we have to fight it is a pistol (with hardly any bullets) and a machete then, that just adds to the tension.

But it has to be done imaginatively and well. We can't just have a couple of raptors hiding in the grass over there....... because then it might as well be a panther again like in TRU. Or the wolves in TR2013, lynx and bear in Rise.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 23-04-18 at 17:55.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-18, 00:01   #93
CrowdedToaster

Oh Blackmoor that's so true!!

Dinosaurs are definitely better in leaving me with a good impression than supernatural entities. CD seems to take a realistic, logical reasoning when developing their mythologies. I think that dinosaurs would be a good way to incorporate both realism/logics with supernatural/outlandish ideas of mysterious elements. It is somewhat possible that something as surreal as a dinosaur or creature from prehistoric times survived in these jungles, so it would make sense to include them into the next game.

Overall, I agree that dinosaurs would be a refreshing addition and it would be nice to see how they would execute such an element into the game.
CrowdedToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-18, 19:19   #94
Zael

Quote:
I feel like that's one of the problems with this fandom. A lot of people here lack imagination and the only thing they can come up with is something that's already been done before to death: dinosaurs, Natla, doppelgänger, etc. When they are asked about which locations would be awesome to see: Egypt, Venice or Perú. Even when there's a thread asking what clothes would people like to see Lara wearing it's always: catsuit, her Nevada outfit, etc. Ugh!

Hmm… actually, I think Xevengar has already imaginatively thought up the perfect solution, both to reboot Lara and to finally integrate dinosaurs into the series once again: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...40#post7860440

But on a more serious note, I think your post may be a bit harsh on the fandom, in particular when you say "I feel like that's one of the problems with this fandom. A lot of people here lack imagination...", as there’s actually a good amount of imagination in evidence (just one example). And on the other hand, many folks have simply given up making suggestions over the years, for various reasons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Yeah, some of us having been saying this for years and have now given up. Well I have anyway. It makes me sad because TR was an amazing game and I'm pretty sure if updated properly would sell just as much as the reboots are doing but would be infinitely more interesting to play.

Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma Darkmoon View Post
People can wish for whatever they want... I respect your opinion though I disagree with it but I get the feeling you don't respect opinions of some fans...
Zael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-18, 23:24   #95
Daring Do

I will only accept dinosaurs if they’re giant feathered friends.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-18, 04:27   #96
VictorXD

Quote:
I feel like that's one of the problems with this fandom. A lot of people here lack imagination and the only thing they can come up with is something that's already been done before to death: dinosaurs, Natla, doppelgänger, etc. When they are asked about which locations would be awesome to see: Egypt, Venice or Perú. Even when there's a thread asking what clothes would people like to see Lara wearing it's always: catsuit, her Nevada outfit, etc. Ugh!

It's ironic for you to say this when we are going back to Mexico in this game CD has done central/south America to death. Also it's not the first time we see Mexico as one of the most important locations on the last game of a trilogy.

Still, a lot of people ask for some things back because of how cool they still are after all this time, and considering how much technology has improved you can't really blame them. I mean imagine how Venice would look!

Though personally I would have preferred for this game to be set in the Middle East. It's very sad how we never got to explore a mosque in TR.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-18, 11:46   #97
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
It's ironic for you to say this when we are going back to Mexico in this game CD has done central/south America to death. Also it's not the first time we see Mexico as one of the most important locations on the last game of a trilogy.

Still, a lot of people ask for some things back because of how cool they still are after all this time, and considering how much technology has improved you can't really blame them. I mean imagine how Venice would look!

Though personally I would have preferred for this game to be set in the Middle East. It's very sad how we never got to explore a mosque in TR.
I think you misunderstood my point. I didn't say we shouldn't revisit past locations again. I'd love for us to go back to Egypt with Survivor Lara. I simply implied that I would love for the fandom to come up with new and interesting ideas instead of old recycled ones.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-18, 14:50   #98
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I'm not saying this to be catty and start some huge flame war in this thread but it's kind of understandable why they've largely avoided that region, and especially anything that pertains to Islamic culture/history. I can imagine the hypersensitivity, mass censorship of the game within some ME countries and cries of "blasphemy" right now.

I do think re-visiting some of the same locations is going to be inevitable as the series goes on though. There are only so many countries in the world, and some do have such a rich history and number of archealogical sites to explore that warrants them appearing more than once. Peru, Greece and Egypt are probably the top 3 examples of that, and it's not a coincidence they all appeared in the very first game with priority.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-18, 15:02   #99
amiro1989

Islamic Mythology would be so awesome in Tomb Raider. Would love for them to explore that.
amiro1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-18, 15:15   #100
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiro1989 View Post
Islamic Mythology would be so awesome in Tomb Raider. Would love for them to explore that.
It would be cool, I'm personally not against it, I just can't imagine anyone being prepared to tread the minefield of potential controversy to do it.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote