www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 22-10-17, 16:56   #61
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Realistic doesn't have to be grey, dour and gritty. The world is replete with vivid and extraordinary colour and hue. I love realistic graphics but I prefer striking designs - even if the world is dark, rainy and clouded over... it can still look beautiful and rich.

What I don't like is washed out murky colours everywhere. And to me, the world isn't generally like that.
Old 22-10-17, 17:16   #62
Lord Lulu
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb_of_Darkns View Post
I understand the concern over how much is too much realism. I agree that reality can be pretty gray and boring or dark, however I don't believe that is always true. There is much beauty in reality. It's the developers jobs to make reality and "enhance" it. And mind you i'm talking about visually, not gameplay wise, cause that's a different topic all together.

I know everyone hates bring up UC in an TR forum but UC4 was able to make reality look pretty real without the world being so dull and gray.

I think that developers nowadays are making much more colorful and vibrant environments without straying from realism all together.

I think when the ps2 and ps3 came out, developers were so excited to make games that attempted to look real that they completely disregarded color and how that affects the player. I think now developers know that players hated that color scheme, or lack of, in older gen games. So now with games like U4 or HZD, people can see that realism can be achieved with vibrant and beautiful color schemes (HZD as a game itself isn't realism, but visually I would say it looks pretty damn real. The colors are definitely exaggerated though.

Gameplay wise I definitely agree that games should not follow realism because then that would be just a simulator.
I never played the Uncharted series so I comment on that.

For visuals I am happy with less than realistic graphics. That is not to say I don't like games that push the limits of technology to make games look good.

I don't know what PS2 games you played, but I have plenty that are colorful. The same with the PS3.

As for realism in gaming, that is what many of us have been arguing against. Reboot Lara was supposed to be the most realistic and yet she is still superhuman. The only realism I want is for everything to be grounded in the games lore. Classic Lara is superhuman but she fits in her games and it's lore. Reboot Lara does not fit and thus causes dissonance.

I'm sure someone can word what I'm trying to say better.
Old 22-10-17, 17:41   #63
ArigatoGozymas
Explorer

For me, I love realism when it has to do with graphics and visual fidelity, not necessarily with stories and character development. Fantasy and fiction make the gaming world much more interesting and that doesn't necessarily mean fantasy like Final Fantasy or The Witcher, where it's a whole different world with magic, superpowers, undead..etc. but it could be a wholly realistic world but with fictional elements like alternate history or conspiracy theories turning out to be true or the presence of some fictional abilities, it could be about an alien invasion or abduction, it could be about spirits, it could simply feature characters who come from our own fantasy and the idealized images in our minds.

Each of those has its own audience and it's totally unfair to condemn the use of ideal characters or "Mary Sue" or whatever you wanna call them, men or women. If those characters are liked by some people, then who are you to tell them not to? If someone's self-esteem is too weak that a gaming character could hurt them, that speaks levels on them rather than the characters or the developers behind them.
ArigatoGozymas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 17:59   #64
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lulu View Post
I'm sure someone can word what I'm trying to say better.
I wouldn't be so bold as to say that, but I've been saying before that there is a difference between realism and plausibility.

The world of TR Legend is unrealistic, but the Lara here conforms to the rules set by that universe, so she is plausible within the world in which she lives.

The more realistic a game gets, the more the unrealistic things stand out and therefore become less plausible. In case of a game like Tomb Raider or Uncharted it is of course the gunfights and climbing that no ordinary mortal could ever pull off. The thing is however, in Uncharted when Drake takes a bullet to the head and heals again in three seconds you could consider that to be non-canon. Or maybe the bullet went past his head and the 'damage' he took temporarily is an indication of the firefight becoming more heavy and he needs to go into cover quickly.
This however is impossible to do in TR9 when Catfish gets a metal rod shoved into her guts and keeps on running and climbing for hours after that and swimming in a pool of blood without getting tetanus. Or how about the moment were there's a couple of guys bashing her face in without it turning into a bloody mush.

To be fair, there was a tiny moment of that in Legend as well: after being fired upon by the machine gun turret in Japan Zip asks how bad you're hurt. Maybe it would have been better to leave that out (or better yet, fix the bug that makes the machine gun fire even after having successfully dodged the laser beams).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArigatoGozymas View Post
Each of those has its own audience and it's totally unfair to condemn the use of ideal characters or "Mary Sue" or whatever you wanna call them, men or women. If those characters are liked by some people, then who are you to tell them not to? If someone's self-esteem is too weak that a gaming character could hurt them, that speaks levels on them rather than the characters or the developers behind them.
I think it is fair to call a character a Mary Sue when they really are implausibly perfect. Especially when they have done nothing to deserve it, like the angry girl in the new Star Wars film.

Last edited by Nigel Cassidy; 22-10-17 at 18:01.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 16:53   #65
ArigatoGozymas
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
I think it is fair to call a character a Mary Sue when they really are implausibly perfect. Especially when they have done nothing to deserve it, like the angry girl in the new Star Wars film.
I think it depends on the presentation of the whole story and work, rather than just the character. If a good character is placed in a terrible story, I doubt you'll be able to enjoy their presence. But I don't think the idea of a Mary Sue, whether it refers to a flawless character, an incredibly powerful character, a character who feels out of this world and loved by all is negative in and of itself. There are many characters who are close to being flawless and super-powered yet the story and world they're put into kinda justify their existence or the tone of the story makes you enjoy the character's perfection.

Some people complain that "this doesn't set a good example to young people because nobody's perfect and this is unrealistic", for me I think they're missing the point because sometimes they're meant to be that way, and not every movie is a message to teach young people something.
ArigatoGozymas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-17, 16:41   #66
Murphdawg1
Explorer

Maybe with the next set of consoles(if they're traditional consoles) and they have like 12 TFlops of compute power and 16 GB of RAM.