www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 07-01-17, 15:15   #41
PinkyPromise
Explorer

I read an article many years ago. Tomb Raider 64 was going to be an exclusive game and different from the PSX games. It was going to be called TOMB RAIDER 64. Then Sony bought the saga TR and made it exclusive for PS. The project was canceled. Lara and TR were exclusive to Sony until to TR4

I have always thought that TR3 has so many different phases because some were for TR 64...

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 07-01-17 at 15:17.
PinkyPromise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 17:50   #42
Dustie
Relic Hunter

64MBs to fit the whole game... I wonder how that would look... textures would probably be 32x32 pixels with limited palettes and blurred (texture filtering is probably what saved N64), the audio would probably be synthesized...

I can imagine they would have probably rewritten the game to run from a single set of textures to save space (as opposed to each level file carrying its textures), the same for sound samples.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 19:24   #43
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I have checked how much space does TR2 take on PSX disc. The data files themselves take about 43MB. The rest is audio and FMVs. That's more than enough to fit a game into a 64MB cartridge and it would still allow them to add midi and simple FMVs or graphics with text. And they would probably shrink it even more anyway.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 22:30   #44
TombHackR
Gold Contributor

I think there could be a playable version of TR2 on the N64, the main sacrifice would be having to have most of the music removed or simply made very poor quality because cartiridges won't be able to store it all. Since most of Tomb Raider's atmosphere was created from the music, it wouldn't feel as good as the other versions.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 23:21   #45
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

I don't know. How much space did a big game like Super Mario 64 use? Excluding FMVs, the game(s) could be left mostly untouched. It depends.
Old 07-01-17, 23:43   #46
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I have checked how much space does TR2 take on PSX disc. The data files themselves take about 43MB. The rest is audio and FMVs. That's more than enough to fit a game into a 64MB cartridge and it would still allow them to add midi and simple FMVs or graphics with text. And they would probably shrink it even more anyway.
If that's the case then they could have been seriously considering a N64 port.
Old 10-01-17, 17:34   #47
jackraider
Archaeologist

Never heard of a new TR game being considered for N64. However, I do recall reading an article where Toby had mentioned CORE had planned to port the original to N64. However, it never came to fruition because EIDOS wanted to move forward with TRII, which Toby was not interested in doing and left CORE. From my understanding, the TR N64 project died around that time as well.

EIDOS made a lot of decisions for the TR series, especially considering that millions of units sold after jumping from Saturn to PSX. It was pretty much guaranteed to favor Sony with the exclusive deals. As we all know, the corporate domination didn't pay off well with Toby leaving very early, and much later the closure of CORE. Success comes with a price. Before TR, CORE was really just a quirky indie studio with some unique talent. Ironically, TR made and broke CORE, but most definitely it was the dominate influence EIDOS had over the studio. That's just business and reality.
Old 11-01-17, 21:20   #48
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
Never heard of a new TR game being considered for N64. However, I do recall reading an article where Toby had mentioned CORE had planned to port the original to N64. However, it never came to fruition because EIDOS wanted to move forward with TRII, which Toby was not interested in doing and left CORE. From my understanding, the TR N64 project died around that time as well.
Looks like we must have read the same article.

Quote:
EIDOS made a lot of decisions for the TR series, especially considering that millions of units sold after jumping from Saturn to PSX. It was pretty much guaranteed to favor Sony with the exclusive deals. As we all know, the corporate domination didn't pay off well with Toby leaving very early, and much later the closure of CORE. Success comes with a price. Before TR, CORE was really just a quirky indie studio with some unique talent. Ironically, TR made and broke CORE, but most definitely it was the dominate influence EIDOS had over the studio. That's just business and reality.
Actually, in a different article/interview I read about how Eidos really trusted Core with most of their creative choices, such as the one to kill off Lara. I think trouble only started with Angel of Darkness. The thing is, though, Core wasn't only working on Tomb Raider, it wasn't just the Tomb Raider team, there were other people and Core became divided over the success of the game, since the team working on it became secluded and closed, they were getting bonuses for the sales of the game and this broke the atmosphere at the studio.

It was hunting me so I found the bit. From an interview with Andy Sandham by Ash:
Quote:
Jeremy and Adrian (our bosses) were very much hands off with regards what we wanted to do with the games - other than ‘greenlighting’ settings, etc. – We were all a little sick of Lara, and decided killing her might give us a chance to move onto a new project. Didn’t work – although in hindsight, I’m amazed how much freedom they gave us – these days, If you proposed killing Lara croft, you’d probably end up sleeping with the fishes…

Last edited by Dustie; 11-01-17 at 21:33.
Old 13-01-17, 01:49   #49
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

They had freedom within the tomb raider series, but not the freedom to make anything else.

Nor did they have much freedom in the way of dictating development time. While AoD was mismanaged in ways, it's clear another year or two would have yielded a complete game. And there are wildly successful games that took even longer to develop. Like Half-life 2, which incidentally was largely rebuilt at least once similarly to how AoD was.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 13:11   #50
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
They had freedom within the tomb raider series, but not the freedom to make anything else.
What do you mean? Core was making more games than TRAOD. At the time they were also making Herdy Gerdy, there was Project Eden and Fighting Force 3(canned). Core had different branches working on different projects at the same time and most of them were decent. Only TRAOD was such a technical failure.

Personally I think what killed TRAOD was not Eidos itself, but bad management and bad luck. I mean Core had 4 years to make TRAOD and yet if you read the articles/interviews they lost most of it on doing completely trivial things like redecorating Margot Carvier's apartment.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote