www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 11-12-16, 13:04   #81
Love2Raid
Tomb Raider

It's not a bad game, but there's something depressing about it. Not my favourite. If I feel like playing one of the CORE games, I usually pick one of the others.
Old 18-12-16, 01:20   #82
larafan25
Legend

Rome and Russia are aiieeeght.

Ireland is spoopi.

VCI... I barely remember. But the grapple seems cool. I like the classic grapple.
Old 20-12-16, 18:42   #83
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

It would have been 4 separate DLC episodes if done today. And that's sort of what I thought when I first played it. It felt more like an expansion than an actual game.

Rome feels like a mediocre custom level, though I did like the return of Larson and Pierre. Russia had a good story and some iffy design choices. Ireland had a spectacular atmosphere and an interesting change of pace in level design. VCI was the most difficult by far; buggy and hard to complete without a walkthrough.
Old 23-12-16, 19:41   #84
Lillie
Historian

I really like it. My first time seeing this game was when I was a kid and my older brother was playing this. Ireland is just unforgettable. I enjoyed it myself when I played Chronicles.
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 16:31   #85
wearemany
Explorer

Chronicles is... an okay game. It's not a bad game, but I think it's the worst of the classic games. There's something about it that feels uninspired and boring to me. It lacks the complexity that levels like Palace Midas and Aldwych had in the previous games or the sadistic level design most TR3 levels had, where everything is challenging. Chronicles is simple and short. I describe it as that fun game you want to play when you're not up for a real challenge. The difficult really begins when you get to the VCI section... The VCI levels are as far from Tomb Raider as Core Design could create, more Metal Gear-ish than Tomb Raider, but they're pretty cool. And they're some of the most memorable levels in TR history IMO. Oh, and I must add that I love its storytelling. This is the game we finally get to see that beautiful FMV young Lara.

Last edited by wearemany; 09-01-17 at 16:34.
wearemany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 17:44   #86
jackraider
Archaeologist

I can't remember if I already posted in this thread, but Chronicles was a unnecessary installment with the PC/Mac versions being the only worthwhile versions because of the included level editor. The game is completely uninspired, linear, and rehashes the worst of the series–contemporary levels consisting of military bases and skyscrapers. Also, I hold a grudge because I think Chronicles played a big role (within the many) in hurting AOD's development. The game is just unnecessary and simply a cash-in because CORE didn't have AOD finished in time for the first film. Eidos basically ordered CORE to do it. Despite my negative impression, I will say that Chronicles did have a nice presentation, decent FMV cinematics, and Black Isle levels were decent. Overall, it's the weakest for sure, but ironically still plays much better than AOD. Chronicles was a waste. If Eidos was smart they would have left old era TR at TR4 and released the level editor free from there website. They should have let CORE work 100% on AOD w/ no other TR projects.

Last edited by jackraider; 10-01-17 at 17:50.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 23:52   #87
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and TR's 1 through 6 and the 4 classic expansions

Not only are the VCI levels in this game similar to metal gear solid but they're also like splinter cell and syphon filter.
Old 29-03-17, 21:25   #88
austin532
Hobbyist

After having beaten this recently I can safely say I enjoyed this better than TR TLR and is on par with III. Possibly even better. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:

Brought back the pre-rendered loading screens even if they are just from the cutscenes
More variety of levels compared to TR 4
Levels went back to being more linear compared to TR 4 open world feel
Levels are short but sweet
Brought back Piere and Larson
All levels except two have three secrets like TR 2

Cons:
Literally the same engine from TR 4
Still can't restart level upon death
Still can't see your health bar in the inventory and need to draw your weapon to see how much you have
Larson seems to have a split personality???
Ambience tracks are short and tend to repeat too much
Big difficulty spike at the end
Last level has a game breaking bug causing you to reload an old file or worse start a new game
Some items are very small and blend in with the floor making them easy to miss
austin532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-17, 22:20   #89
NoahCrofRaider
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Raid View Post
It's not a bad game, but there's something depressing about it.
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest due to it being released at the beginning of the early emo 2000s.
Old 29-03-17, 22:22   #90
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Ireland is 10/10 material , Rome is 6/10 , Russia is 5/10 and VCI is -1/10 .

All in all , it's a cheap filler game that one can easily sense how it was made by force rather than by soul , love and devotion (Damn you , Eidosers !) .

I do like the sound of the dual pistols in the game though as well as the FMVs and some cool puzzle ideas here and there .