www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Community > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-17, 22:50   #181
Isaac
Relic Hunter
 
Isaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Posts: 5,652
Default

Let's not forget that although Horizon sounds and looks promising, it's still a new IP. If anything it could turn out to be another Infamous Second Son: fun to play and to look at, but forgettable in a couple of months.
It's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. With TR at least we know now what kind of quality and content to expect.

I'm holding on the pre-order until the reviews hit to confirm my choice.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 05:49   #182
The1andOnlyTR
Professor
 
The1andOnlyTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWETombRaider View Post
Collector's edition: Worth it or waste of money?

I kinda want to cop it, but I only buy CEs of TR/UC and nothing else. Then again, I passed up on TLOU's CE and I'm still kicking myself till this day for that.
Thats exactly why I preordered the Horizon CE.
__________________
"IM NOT JINXING!!!!" - Me, circa January 2008
The1andOnlyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 12:23   #183
Peep Show
Relic Hunter
 
Peep Show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Libertalia
Posts: 6,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Let's not forget that although Horizon sounds and looks promising, it's still a new IP. If anything it could turn out to be another Infamous Second Son: fun to play and to look at, but forgettable in a couple of months.
It's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. With TR at least we know now what kind of quality and content to expect.

I'm holding on the pre-order until the reviews hit to confirm my choice.
Hahaha

Seriously, there's enough gameplay footage out there, even if the story is trash I know the gameplay will be fun as hell. I wish people would give new IPs more of a chance, or we might see Sony stick to their big sellers, i'm really glad Guerrila made this game.

And Mass Effect looks rough as hell from the videos they've shown, not sure how you can pre-order that (take the risk), but not Horizon (which looks much more impressive), just because you've played the previous ME games.
__________________
The Lost Legacy & Horizon Zero Dawn GOTY 2017

Last edited by Peep Show; 11-01-17 at 12:26.
Peep Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 14:07   #184
Isaac
Relic Hunter
 
Isaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Posts: 5,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
Hahaha
What's funny? I knew exactly what kind of game Rise of Tomb Raider would be after playing Tomb Raider 2013: an action-oriented adventure game with scripted events, hubs, an upgrade system and so on. Rise turned out to be exactly what I expected it to be and I'm 100% convinced that we will get something close to the first two reboot games with the next sequel. Common sense. Their actual recipe worked, there is no reason the next game will be drastically different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
Seriously, there's enough gameplay footage out there, even if the story is trash I know the gameplay will be fun as hell.
And how does that invalidate what I said? Afaik, I don't recall saying the game didn't look fun, I said there was a risk of it not being as impressive as we think. I had incredible fun with Infamous Second Son, but I've never replayed it once I finished the game in 3 days. Same goes for Until Dawn. I paid full price for the Uncharted Collection and I didn't finish the third game.

However, I do replay Rise from time to time, same goes for The Last of Us, GTA, Resident Evil...

Point is: It could always turn out being fun the first few weeks, then repetitive, or glitched, or broken, like it could also surprise me. We don't know and you don't know more than us the quality of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
I wish people would give new IPs more of a chance, or we might see Sony stick to their big sellers, i'm really glad Guerrila made this game.
I am giving the game a chance, but unlike you, I'm not blindly throwing my money left and right "just because it looks fun". I'm waiting until I know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
And Mass Effect looks rough as hell from the videos they've shown, not sure how you can pre-order that (take the risk), but not Horizon (which looks much more impressive), just because you've played the previous ME games.
Because just like TR I know what kind of games to expect from Bioware. Even if it looks rough now, I've had enough evidence in the last 9 years of the kind of product they offer, through Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Horizon is Guerilla's first attempt at a new IP. The potential is there, but I have no data, nothing, to value the outcomes other than a few gameplay trailers (that could always be scripted)... And so you know, I'm more tempted by Horizon, but like I said, I just don't like to pre-order blindly.

Last edited by Isaac; 11-01-17 at 16:00.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 17:04   #185
Emix
Professor
 
Emix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,159
Default



Can't believe i'm saying this but it reminds me a lot of TR/ROTTR with the way she talks, her breathy voice, and those dialogues.

Not a fan of animations, lip-sync and their plasticy faces. The rest looks great.
Emix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 17:16   #186
Isaac
Relic Hunter
 
Isaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Posts: 5,652
Default

Outside the wax-like skin textures, it's slowing shaping itself into something that has the potential to be good.

My only concerns:

1- The pacing of the story
2- The side quest
3- How good it will look on the original PS4.

I don't want a lag fest or a significant downgrade.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 17:20   #187
ThatSassyKid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: No
Posts: 8,038
Default

Such a beautiful trailer for a game that looks so mediocre and boring.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 17:31   #188
Isaac
Relic Hunter
 
Isaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Posts: 5,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Such a beautiful trailer for a game that looks so mediocre and boring.
That's quite harsh and unfair. Visually the game is everything but mediocre, it's been praised everywhere and it's actualling one of the PS4 pro's selling point. Horizon is often used as a reference to display the console's power.

Now in term of gameplay, I'd like to know you based your observations on what exactly? As much as I always favor objectivity and considering none of us could actually play the game yet, everything that was shown looked polished and functional. The gameplay, in fact, doesn't seem too different from Rise and other good selling games out there, including Zelda, Uncharted, Witcher, etc

It has the ingredients to be a good game. Will it deliver? Who knows, we'll find out in one month, but the press and the few players who were lucky enough to test it at different conventions expressed positive feelings.

Not appealing to you, maybe, but "mediocre" is a bit too intense.

Last edited by Isaac; 11-01-17 at 17:39.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 17:38   #189
ThatSassyKid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: No
Posts: 8,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
That's quite harsh and unfair. Visually the game is everything but mediocre, it's been praised everywhere and it's actualling one of the PS4 pro's selling point. Horizon is often used as a reference to display the console's power.
What have the visuals got to do with the game itself? What is the point of a pavlova if it's actually a pile of fecal matter decorated to look like a pav?

Quote:
Now in term of gameplay, I'd like to know you based your observations on what exactly? As much as I always favor objectivity and none of us could actually play the game yet, everything that was shown looked polished and functional. The gameplay, in fact, doesn't seem to different from Rise.
I'll embed the gameplay video I'm basing my opinion on underneath what I'm typing here. The game looks too much like Far Cry Primal - open, yet lacking substance, boring, repetitive. What new things do we get to do? It all looks the same from what I've seen so far. Note that I specifically said that it looks boring, as opposed to downright calling it boring in its entirety without having not played it lmfao.

Here's the video:



Quote:
Not appealing to you, maybe, but "mediocre" is a bit too intense.
Again, that's your opinion, just like me thinking it looks mediocre is mine

Last edited by ThatSassyKid; 11-01-17 at 17:39.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 17:48   #190
Isaac
Relic Hunter
 
Isaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Posts: 5,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
What have the visuals got to do with the game itself?
You said "it looks mediocre". I thought you were referring to the visuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
I'll embed the gameplay video I'm basing my opinion on underneath what I'm typing here. The game looks too much like Far Cry Primal - open, yet lacking substance, boring, repetitive. What new things do we get to do?
I didn't know you could climb giant robots in Far Cry, nor that there were dialogue options, a strong narrative and RPG elements. The platforming sections will actually twist things a little bit, especially for the exploration. If anything the only thing in common is the "prehistoric" vibe.

In any case, Horizon will probably not be groundbreaking... Very few game achieve that anyway... but It seems to have taken a little bit of good content from most good games out there and merged them in one product.

As for lacking substance, boring, repetitive, I guess it's too soon to tell. The studio said we would have our fair share of side quests and in-game activities outside the main plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Again, that's your opinion, just like me thinking it looks mediocre is mine
If what we've been shown is your definition of mediocre, I envy your luck of having never playing any game factually mediocre. You should google Alone in the Dark on the Wii, watch some playthrough, test the game and now we'll talk about mediocrity.

Had you worded "repetitive, uninspiring", I wouldn't have said a thing. But I stand that you have no reason to classify this game as "mediocre", not when there has been worse out there. Even No Man Sky doesn't deserve that title lol.

Last edited by Isaac; 11-01-17 at 18:02.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 20:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.