Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 14-05-18, 08:15   #71
TR-Freak
Unverified

3 simple reasons:

First: you need a FBX(or obj) for Mixamo. FBX (or obj) may be an Exchange format, but that means you cannot work on the model the way you did before, I.e. everything in your model gets "baked" how it was when you exported it. Modifiers (Blender, Maya, 3Ds Max) get lost in this procedure.

Second: I had the issue that it slightly translated (maybe due to precision loss?) vertices, which ruined Symmetry for me.

Third: The result is dissapointing. Bones weren't symmetrical aligned, they didn't even pointed into the same direction and the weights need a lot of cleanup anyway

You are really better of doing it yourself in your source format instead of exporting to FBX and losing your modifier's and "model history"

Last edited by TR-Freak; 14-05-18 at 08:17.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 08:31   #72
FreakRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
but I do feel like people should maybe explain what's wrong with it rather than just saying that others shouldn't use it or that it's only for lazy people.
TRF is best at complaining without giving valid solutions/reasons or any at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
3 simple reasons:

First: you need a FBX(or obj) for Mixamo. FBX (or obj) may be an Exchange format, but that means you cannot work on the model the way you did before, I.e. everything in your model gets "baked" how it was when you exported it. Modifiers (Blender, Maya, 3Ds Max) get lost in this procedure.
Mixamo rigging should then be your last step, then you don't have to worry about some mirror modifiers or whatever you might be losing.

Quote:
Second: I had the issue that it slightly translated (maybe due to precision loss?) vertices, which ruined Symmetry for me.
Never happened to me, not even with self made models. If your model is properly made and you worked carefully and cleanly on it, there will not be any Symmetry issues, dafuq. This is definitely nothing that happens commonly.

Quote:
Third: The result is dissapointing. Bones weren't symmetrical aligned, they didn't even pointed into the same direction and the weights need a lot of cleanup anyway
Bones were never asymmetrical for my models, nor did mixamo ever mix up any vertices. I was always satisfied with mixamo, especially because this whole thing + animations are free. Even Nicobass used it for a couple of animations if you look back at his old videos.

Quote:
You are really better of doing it yourself in your source format instead of exporting to FBX and losing your modifier's and "model history"
If your model is completely done and you have no experience in rigging, seriously, go for mixamo. Especially when you just want to get your Lara in game engines like Unreal. I can tell you now, bone weighting is a pain in the ass.
To sum it up, the free mixamo auto-rigging process is not as bad as TR-Freak is claiming. Still comes down to personal preference though, there are a lot of benefits you get from rigging your model on your own.
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-18, 08:39   #73
TR-Freak
Unverified

It will give you more issues than it does good.

The bones will never have the locations they should have (thinking about shoulders, fingers and the ankles), because it is an automated process. Which in return means you will sooner or later have to re-rig and also retarget your model anyways.

€dit: It's just an advice, but keep your model in a single source file. where you build, texture and rig it. Rigging isn't easy, it just needs practice like everything else.

Last edited by TR-Freak; 14-05-18 at 08:47.
Old 14-05-18, 14:57   #74
Zebra

That makes sense then, thanks for the explanation !
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 19:18   #75
TR-Freak
Unverified

Even Lara needs some cooling after these hot days

https://streamable.com/gux5f
Old 27-05-18, 19:59   #76
larafan25

Aw, she looks cute. And the water looks refreshing.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 22:11   #77
SrDanielPonces

wow... that looks awesome!!!
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-18, 09:39   #78
Alex Fly
Inactive

Cool!
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 18:50   #79
larafan25

I'm like... splitting Lara's home circa 1997 into each main room. Then I think I will release them as like... models. So they can be easily edited. Then maybe make it HP. But IDK. I know there is already an FMV home floating around somewhere. I kind of want to make a PS2-era home though. The rooms I release will be object-less.

larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 22:16   #80
SrDanielPonces

basically you wanna do like TRAE was done
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote