Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 06-05-18, 19:09   #51
Persefone

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
If that is a "version" of Lara Croft, then it is not the original one.

There are plenty of games and characters in this world which are similar and could be grouped together on the basis of similarity. Some of those similar characters are even inspired by Lara Croft, as this one is.

There is a desire to say that this character is more similar to Lara Croft than other characters, like Nathan Drake or Indiana Jones. Is that because they are actually more similar to each other? Or is that because they have been given the same name and have been produced by the same license holder?

It is hard to support the mentality that Lara Croft is more than her clothing and physique, yet in the same breath imply these separate characters are the same regardless of narrative differences, on the grounds of their appearance.
All I have to say is lara croft is different from lara croft, you can say "this is not lara croft" and I can say the same and we're both gonna be right because to an extent both are true, It's pointess to keep trying to define and explain to people who are not willing to configurate to what your lara is, my point is this is lara to me: https://i.imgur.com/WyeGj0r.jpg
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 19:32   #52
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persefone View Post
All I have to say is lara croft is different from lara croft, you can say "this is not lara croft" and I can say the same and we're both gonna be right because to an extent both are true, It's pointess to keep trying to define and explain to people who are not willing to configurate to what your lara is, my point is this is lara to me: https://i.imgur.com/WyeGj0r.jpg
wow her shoulders are so... sexualized. I can't sdngfbfyudb
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 19:36   #53
Persefone

Quote:
wow her shoulders are so... sexualized. I can't sdngfbfyudb
her symbolic gun holsters are so manly omg.
Persefone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 21:08   #54
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Lara Croft is not this either, so...

https://i.imgur.com/W4Wl9Uu.jpg
Nope. You are just dead wrong. That IS Lara.

Even Core purists will agree with me that she is more "Lara-like" then Catfish Jellybean.
Sir Launcelot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 21:26   #55
Yeauxleaux

Not all Laras are Lara. Lara is not true Lara, she has nothing to do with Lara.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 22:00   #56
PlumeEcarlate.

Quote:
If that is a "version" of Lara Croft, then it is not the original one.

There are plenty of games and characters in this world which are similar and could be grouped together on the basis of similarity. Some of those similar characters are even inspired by Lara Croft, as this one is.

There is a desire to say that this character is more similar to Lara Croft than other characters, like Nathan Drake or Indiana Jones. Is that because they are actually more similar to each other? Or is that because they have been given the same name and have been produced by the same license holder?

It is hard to support the mentality that Lara Croft is more than her clothing and physique, yet in the same breath imply these separate characters are the same regardless of narrative differences, on the grounds of their appearance.

Mmh...

I base my point of view on a degree and a purely psychological analysis according to the character of Lara Croft, a psychology whose emanates many characteristics whose foundations form a bridge certain between the "Classic Lara" and the Lara Legend. Because indeed, it is very easy to build a clear institution of behavioral characteristics that Lara shared us during 6 episodes under the firm of Core, and these elements are transcribed and shaped under a completely different feather at Crystal, certainly, but it does not detract from the fact that they were present.

The only difference is that if Core's Lara Croft was exploited under a narrative that took precedence over Lara's unrelenting independence, she did not take the liberty of breaking an introvertion of marble to keep her at a level of restraint and canonical mistrust of Vicky Arnold, which was amply sufficient at the time without one coming to travel in the meander of her morses and emotions, because the context remained original.

In 2006, to break the "stylistic facade attitude" without evolution over the ages, Toby Gard and Austin Grossman took the risky gamble of placing Lara in a compatriotic bubble with quality assistants submitting her for the first time to the role of a leader, with people to house (I guess), to feed, to patronize on a daily basis and to trust. This wakes up or puts into operation the door that the viewer never had the opportunity to discover with Lara Croft. Because this one had to, by simple professional courtesy, I dare to hope, be kind, smiling and appreciable to her partners. Lara, who was previously usually mute, occasionally opened her mouth to communicate with them, giving us informations about her thoughts, moods, and real goals, something absolutely new again.

If Lara were to break away from this constant comunication creating big mutations on her behavior on the adventure, there is no great effort to believe that she would act and stay exactly like Classic Lara.

For example, I will never be able to imagine the Classic Lara deviating overnight to the Lara Croft of the reboot, because their characteristics and psychology are intrinsically different to see the same character. On this fact, it is in this case well precise that I could say: This is a "version" inspired by Lara Croft. The notion of "version" is much more vague in the first years of Crystal, because the differences are very minor.

To make it short, if we remove any gene about the biography: Lara Legend is ... The classic Lara, but just with a little company, making you hear, see things, that you could not imagine of Lara Classic because there was nothing to support such an emancipation of feelings than the one that brings out both her past and the close people around her, making her more "alive" and open than ever.

Lara Croft is not a series of numbering ... It is a philosophy, distinct and similar ideas forming an identity dispostion adequate to form a recognizable host in the eyes of the public. The only one moving away from it today is the reboot Lara.

( if there are any, sorry for the mistakes.)

Last edited by PlumeEcarlate.; 06-05-18 at 22:13.
PlumeEcarlate. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 22:48   #57
Daring Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Not all Laras are Lara. Lara is not true Lara, she has nothing to do with Lara.
There’s no such thing as Lara Croft. She’s only an urban legend. A mere cryptid.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 23:13   #58
PlumeEcarlate.

An urban legend. I like this...

I like to believe that Lara Croft is the inspiration of a real person in this world ... And that she laughs of her derivations quietly in her bed.

Maybe it's Toby Gard's sister ? ^^

(His visual inspiration for many of his collaborators.)
PlumeEcarlate. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 00:53   #59
Horus-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Lindsay Ellis, formerly known as the Nostalgia Chick, makes some good points in this video about how society, particularly women, particularly feminists, has this irrational hatred towards girly things. From about 6:35:

8O06tMbIKh0
I think that's pretty true. A lot of what young teen girls like is vilified and it shouldn't be.

So far as how yours and her points pertains to Lara, well, it has made me realize how much I missed her lady-like mannerisms and her grace, the things that I've mentioned before. There's always something that felt off about the new character, and I think that's actually quite a big part of it. The reboot isn't masculine necessarily, she is still feminine to some degree. But she's also a lot more crass and disheveled, and nowhere near the caliber of her namesake. The original character if anything was more empowering because it showed that you could be feminine and do what was seen as typically masculine things. She was still very much a woman, and I loved that.

I'm kind of bad at explaining it... I think what could sum it up pretty perfectly was the Opera scene in Chronicles. For some reason it always comes to mind.

I really miss this character.

Last edited by Horus-Goddess; 07-05-18 at 00:58.
Horus-Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 00:59   #60
Nigel Cassidy

^ I agree of course, and oh yes I love the cutscenes and dialogue of TR Chronicles
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote