Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 01-02-24, 10:58   #1
REHome

Default Is there or will there be a new official Level Editor?

Hello.

I want to know if at this point there is a new official level editor, not a third-party one.

Since Tomb Raider I-III Remastered is coming and possibly also Tomb Raider IV-VI Remastered within a year, maybe they will post some news about it.

I don't care that it is only for PC and even as a novelty also for consoles like PS5, I see this as impossible on PS5, I will settle for PC.

Any welcome news about this world.

Greetings.
REHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-24, 11:28   #2
Masked Goon

There's no way in hell they will add a new level editor.
Masked Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-24, 14:13   #3
REHome

After releasing Tomb Raider 4 and 5 either?
Old 01-02-24, 14:58   #4
Masked Goon

I don't think so. We don't know if TR4 & 5 will ever see remasters. And I don't see any studio doing the extra leg work to recreate a level editor for a simple remaster of a couple of games nowadays.
Masked Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-24, 15:51   #5
REHome

Whether or not they will make the TR4 and TR5 depends on sales.

The editor would have already made it with the same one they made the game with.

We just have to wait.
Old 01-02-24, 16:18   #6
Joey79100

You're not he first to ask.

When Core released their editor, it was already their own development tools, that they basically "just released" as is, with (almost) no extra effort. They outsourced the actual manual to the Gold team, which had no gold level to do this time.
What Aspyr uses is probably something more akin mod tools to edit the original levels or inject their geometry (or even load new geo on the fly), and their assets would be done in a general 3D software.

It's really unlikely they have an actual level editor because that's not what they need.
It's even more unlikely that they would go through the effort of creating a level editor, making it ergonomic, making a manual, making assets, providing at least a little support, etc.

It's even more unlikely considering this would have absolutely no use. We already have TE which is able to do a lot more than the original Winroomedit, we have TRNG that handles lot more detail than retail TR4-5, we have TEN which goes even further in that regard and is still in development.

Many people are probably wishing Aspyr releasing a new editor would mean custom levels with its graphical level, but this graphical level has already been possible for a long time with our tools and engines, as long as the level builder can do some nice textures and 3D modelling.
A new editor would change nothing to that, so the use of it would be absolutely non existent. It would only be wasted time and money for them (and they already have a low budget for the remasters themselves).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-24, 21:00   #7
REHome

It is a pity. So I take away the idea of the new map editor by Aspyr. I am happy that they also release TR 4 and TR 5 in a year later, if possible, I want all their games on disc for PS5, if I see them in stores in physical format, I will buy it again, they deserve it.

Thanks for the answers.
Old 03-02-24, 19:11   #8
SrDanielPonces

the remasters at best have a better light rendering system, but whats the point if most custom levels look ugly anyways (low poly + cute PS3 lighting dont match lets be real)
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote