Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 08-05-12, 12:45   #1
Bradley23170

Default Your Story

I've decided to make this thread because a few times before, I've seen people going off topic and talking about how they came to discover the delights of tomb raider.
As much as I love reading everyones different stories, they were off topic. Well not any more!!!

Basicly in this thread, all you need to do is awnser this question :
How did you discover Tomb Raider?

To give an example of what to awnser, I'll go first :

I first discovered Tomb Raider 4 in 2001 when my brother was playing it. I loved watching him and I tried playing myself but failed miserably as I was only 5 thenXD.
We eventauly had tomb raiders 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the PS1. In 2005 me and my brother started a load on TR2 and reached the temple of xian and the the memory card broke so we stoped. By then we had TRAoD, the second game my brother completed after the last revalation. In 2006, after much anticipation, we finaly got TRL. My brother was quick to complete it and replayedit many times until 100% was achieved. I didn't get past GhanaXD. In 2007, I got TRA. To start with I reach the temple of Kahmoon and gave up. As usual my brother completed it. In 2009 we got TRU. I reached mexico and once again my brother completed it. My brother then got given the first 4 tomb raiders on pc. He played half of each of the 4 games and then gave the 4 games to me. I was quick to complete the 1st and 2nd game and gave up on the 2 others. Meanwhile, I completed tomb raiders Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. Then my brother discoverd the level editor and the next generation level editor. A year later he taught me what he knew about the editor and the first custom game I played was Beyond the scion wich I never actually completed. I wasn't very good at building for a year and a half. During this time I completed TRs 3 and 4. Then febuary 2012, I discovered Tomb Raider forums, a place where I could help people or get help from people and talk to other Tomb Raider obsessed people. My skill with the editor quickly got better with the editor and well here I am today with only TRC and TRAoD uncompleted.

Now it's your turn to awnser the question
Bradley23170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 13:01   #2
musicmaestro10

Wink

I bought the Tomb Raider film special edition in a morrisons bargain bin and as all geeks know the special edition has the first three levels of chronicles. I fell in love at this point and proceedd to be given TRA for christmas. I will never forget that experience, even the smell of the booklet I save for special occasions. Since then I bought the tr 1-6 collection and Underworld and have played and loved all of them except the first. My least favourite is the fourth and my favourite is of course TRA. !
musicmaestro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 13:26   #3
tomekkobialka

My cousin got me the OEM version of TR4 (PC) for my birthday...and I fell in love with it! Shortly afterwards I discovered TR3:LA as a demo on a PC magazine CD...and I loved it as well! A few years later I went to a carboot sale (hell yeah ) and discovered somebody willing to sell a PS1 for £30 and a batch of 20 or so PS games for a tenner! Amongst those was TR3...I loved the game but was so used to the keyboard controls and brightness of the PC versions that I had to repurchase it for PC. After that it was just one game after another really...although the only two TRs I haven't played yet are TR2 and AOD.
tomekkobialka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 14:27   #4
musicmaestro10

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
My cousin got me the OEM version of TR4 (PC) for my birthday...and I fell in love with it! Shortly afterwards I discovered TR3:LA as a demo on a PC magazine CD...and I loved it as well! A few years later I went to a carboot sale (hell yeah ) and discovered somebody willing to sell a PS1 for £30 and a batch of 20 or so PS games for a tenner! Amongst those was TR3...I loved the game but was so used to the keyboard controls and brightness of the PC versions that I had to repurchase it for PC. After that it was just one game after another really...although the only two TRs I haven't played yet are TR2 and AOD.
OMG! You have to get tr2 and aod. I got the 1-6 collection for twenty quid which I know see I was quite lucky to get as it isn't even availible on amazon or ebay anymore. I did take a peeksy on ebay for you though and you can both of those games for peanuts, brand new for less than five pounds including postage each. Tr2 is so much better than the other old gens IMHO and aod is a very interestingly different game. I am not sure if it stands well up against darker games I have played now but it was genuinely original so you should totally get it!!!
Old 08-05-12, 14:45   #5
tomekkobialka

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaestro10 View Post
OMG! You have to get tr2 and aod. I got the 1-6 collection for twenty quid which I know see I was quite lucky to get as it isn't even availible on amazon or ebay anymore. I did take a peeksy on ebay for you though and you can both of those games for peanuts, brand new for less than five pounds including postage each. Tr2 is so much better than the other old gens IMHO and aod is a very interestingly different game. I am not sure if it stands well up against darker games I have played now but it was genuinely original so you should totally get it!!!
Don't worry, I have both games...just haven't got round to playing them yet.
tomekkobialka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 15:00   #6
pEhouse

In 1998 shortly before Christmas, a friend of mine told me about this super awesome game that I just had to have, of course she was talking about Tomb Raider III. I had never before even heard of Tomb Raider or Lara Croft, but she hyped me up so much that I ran home and told my dad "I totally need this game for Christmas!!" without having seen a single screenshot or anything.
My dad did get me the game, and I completely fell in love with it. My friend got it too, but I don't think she ever completed so much as the India section. Fortunately, I was so easily impressionable back then or I might have missed out on this awesome game. I still have the original game box I got almost 14 years ago standing on my bookshelf as decoration, since it's still my favorite TR to date.
pEhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 15:00   #7
Greenkey2

Thumbs up

November 1999:

My thoughts on Lara Croft at the time?

"What an air-head, sex-object bimbo. Moving swiftly on..."

An advert for TR4 comes on TV.

My Mum: "Hmm, that looks like fun."

Me: *raises a suspicious eyebrow*

A week later, Dad and I purchase TR4 for Mum, as a joke-present.

Sometime after Christmas...

Mum: "So, enjoying the game?"

Me: "Hell yeah!"

My thoughts on Tomb Raider and Lara Croft from then on?

Well, I joined the world's biggest forum, became a moderator, became a voice-actress, played every game I could get my hands on and generally think of Miss Croft as a terrific character and source of many an inspirational story
Greenkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 15:15   #8
Weemanply109
Inactive

It's vague, but I only remember playing Tomb Raider 3 on the PS1 back in the day as a child, I played a few others too, but I never got into that much until later after my uncle got me a copy of Legend. Since then I was obsessed with Tomb Raider.
Weemanply109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 15:22   #9
musicmaestro10

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekkobialka View Post
Don't worry, I have both games...just haven't got round to playing them yet.
Oh ok !
Old 08-05-12, 15:27   #10
sierra xb

i had my first experience of TR with a borrowed copy of TR2. I was really bored one day and asked my neighbor if he had any PS1/2 games i could borrow. He gave me a box full and i saw TR2 sitting there. I has been interested in trying TR for a while so i popped it in. Having no previous experience with TR games, i got stuck right at the beginning, took the game out and put it away.

A year or so later, i was once again looking for new games and found a copy of TR Legend. I bought it, took it home, and was instantly hooked the moment it started playing the loading screen The music was awesome, and the game was even better once i got going on it.

When Underworld came out, i ended up with the PS2 version because i didn't have my xbox yet. It was still interesting. The later came Anniversary.

When i finally got my xbox slim a couple of years back, guess what were the first games i bought for it? Yep, Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld
sierra xb is offline   Reply With Quote