Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 26-06-23, 19:47   #1
Sabudum

Default TRViewer doesn't render meshes.

I've been trying to use TRViewer under Linux Debian 11 using Wine.
But, doesn't matter what I try, I can't get the program to render the meshes, every other program works, like blender and 3d studio, and also any 3D game including any tomb raider.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

It seems to just render a corrupted texture grabbed from the screen buffer. Or just fails to draw to the screen buffer, rendering whatever is already there.

EDIT: Just tried FexMerger and the same problem happens. It seems to be system wide then.
EDIT2: Tried overriding the built-in Wine ddraw.dll with the native windows one, no success, problem persists.

Last edited by Sabudum; 28-06-23 at 16:52. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
Sabudum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-23, 23:43   #2
Sabudum

Just added the screenshot, that was removed.
Old 27-06-23, 02:25   #3
mizuno_suisei

I could be way off

But a few older TRLE related tools need some runtimes. E.g. Wadmerger needs Visual Basic 5 or 6, or both, to run.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-23, 16:21   #4
Sabudum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
I could be way off

But a few older TRLE related tools need some runtimes. E.g. Wadmerger needs Visual Basic 5 or 6, or both, to run.
Well, I did install all dependencies, which are pretty basic, if I remember correctly just some C++ runtime, and the program does run and does not send any error messages for missing libraries.

It just doesn't render 3D meshes, or maybe can't have access to whatever drawing mechanism it uses.

Maybe there's something wrong with the zlib.dll file? I don't know what it does.

Last edited by Sabudum; 28-06-23 at 16:28.
Old 29-06-23, 02:15   #5
perryloo

This is the problem with old programs, they either do not work, or do not work fully, and many TR tools have problems with newer window versions.

WinXP was the last time every tool worked. I am on win10 desktop now, but I bought a refurbished WinXP desktop for £50 off Ebay to get all my old TR tools working.
Cheap as I already had spare screen, keyboard and mouse.

Anyway, as an alternative to TRviewer you could try seeing if PixStr works for you. Good for texturing and 3D modelling (autocad DXF format, importing and exporting).

I have used autocad for years at work, so well used to Tomb Raider 3D modding using DXF.
PS....Only good thing about TRviewer it is useful for animation changes. not sure what you were going to use it for? You did not say.

PixStr download...
https://www.aspidetr.com/en/tools/pixstr/

Here is what I get on win10, works fine....

Last edited by perryloo; 29-06-23 at 03:20.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-23, 15:33   #6
Sabudum

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried PixStr, same problem.
I don't know how this programs are written, but it seems that all of them derive from the same base, or at the very least, use the same exact method of rendering.

I seem to vaguely remember other programs that are similar to this and are not related to Tomb Raider, maybe I should try those as well, the problem is, I don't know any from the top of my head.
Old 29-06-23, 21:05   #7
perryloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabudum View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried PixStr, same problem.
I don't know how this programs are written, but it seems that all of them derive from the same base, or at the very least, use the same exact method of rendering.

I seem to vaguely remember other programs that are similar to this and are not related to Tomb Raider, maybe I should try those as well, the problem is, I don't know any from the top of my head.
Well if you are having trouble getting these old TR programs to work, then best solution as I said, is to buy a cheap refurbished WinXP desktop off ebay

I actually transfer data between my old winXP desktop to my new Win10 desktop by the use of memory sticks. gets around the problem of old TR tools.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-23, 20:01   #8
Sabudum

Okay, it seems there's no way then, funny thing, all the programs worked fine under Windows 7, before I switched to Linux, and now they don't run correctly using Wine.
What I'll try is creating an actual VM with WinXP in it and see how that goes.

I was hoping there was a fix for wine but, okay.