Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 11-12-17, 18:14   #1
FanosCroft

Default The Best Versions Of All Tomb Raider Games

Can someone tell me what's the best versions of all TR games ( in terms FPS, graphics, resolution )? Whether if its on console PC?
So far I know that for Tomb Raider is the Definitive Edition on PS4, offering enchanted graphics at 1080p 60fps.
FanosCroft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 19:50   #2
biscuits

I own the Definitive Edition on PS4. The frame rate is consistently high. There's a nasty bug that occurs after you fast travel off the Shipwreck Beach (once you reach it).It basically corrupts your save file. I had to restart the entire game afterwards
The game also tends to crash during the burning fortress escape segment. But other than that it ran smoothly for me.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 20:31   #3
ozzman

Rise seems best on PS4, with beautiful graphics, and exclusive content already on disc while PC and XB1 require purchases

TRDE on ps4 is better with better graphics and framerates, i rarely saw slowdown with the exception of the burning village but that ended once i died and reloaded

TRU is best on 360 with better shadows, darker shadows and brighter colors, also is the only version that contains the DLC released for the game

TRA is best on 360, best looking and runs smoothly
TRL is again best on 360, next gen looks crisp and runs smoothly and doesnt have missing plants like the ps3 or crashes like on PC

AOD is best on PC because you can patch the game to fix most of the bugs, fix controls and improve the visuals,

the classics vary , i'd recommend the PS1 versions because i played them most but i noticed the pc versions have fast load times and crisp graphics while PS1 can be pixelated or blurry at times, namely TR1 and 2

just my opinions ,
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 22:41   #4
Rai

As you're asking about all TRs, I've moved the thread to GC
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 22:34   #5
Trenton

TR1 - the playstation version as this will have all the music included and the best colours. As well as save crystals and loading screens. In my opinion the best version of the best game ever.
Better yet; play the playstation version through ePSXe available for Android or Windows so that you can have each frame rendered in 1080p resolution.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 23:12   #6
SrDanielPonces

I think AOD is better on PS2. I have the TRLAU trilogy on PS3 and I haven't had any issues with it.

Reboot plays nice on PS3 and I never played Rise.
Classics are both good on both versions; though I've only played them on PS1 lately since I got original copies of them.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-17, 06:40   #7
jackali
Golden

I'd argue that TRs 1-3 are best on PC, because you can get the Gold Levels (and Lost Artefact), which weren't made available for PS.

Of course, you'll have increased resolution capabilities for all the classic TR games too.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-17, 15:25   #8
Caesum

It's really hard to tell, because it depends on what you find most important in each game. If you don't care about high resolution, then:

Tomb Raider I - I believe these days the best way to get the ultimate best gaming experience is by using PC version with TOMBATI patch. Glidos made a nifty installer for it which allows using custom textures. This patch also makes it possible to use PSX soundtrack.
Tomb Raider 2-5 - These games are most complete on PSX, have exclusive special effects and just feel more polished. Especially TR3-5.
Tomb Raider: the Angel of Darkness - The game is quite buggy on both PC and PS2, but for the most genuine, complete experience I believe PS2 is still the best. It has new, more modern controls, less graphical bugs and more special effects. PC version will soon follow up though, since Nakamichi680 is making a big set of patches that fix a lot of graphical problems of the game. Sasho's patch fixes several graphics issues as well and changes controls, so they are faster and more responsive.
Tomb Raider: Legend - Definitely on XBOX360. Best looking, absolutely breathtaking even these days.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - The game feels and plays pretty much the same on every platform, but I'd say go for XBOX 360 too. PC/PS2 has outdated graphics, while PS3 version is buggy.
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Definitely XBOX360. Not only graphics are superb, but also it has two additional DLCs. It's a no-brainer for me.
Tomb Raider 2013 - Just like you said, the Definitive Edition is the best out there.
Rise of the Tomb Raider - This one I'm not sure, because I have only seen and played the PC version. As far as I know though, X360 and PS4 are nearly equally good, with maybe PS4 being tad better. Not sure.

If you do care about high resolution though, then I guess no matter what, PC version of each game is still the best.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-17, 17:14   #9
Moosey

For Rise, it's best on the Xbox One X with the new update. But for the base consoles I think its ps4.
Personally, TR1 & TR3 have to be played on PC. I just can't deal with the save system on the playstation.
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-17, 23:09   #10
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
For Rise, it's best on the Xbox One X with the new update. But for the base consoles I think its ps4.
I'd venture a guess that the PC version at 4K 60fps with maxed out graphics is the ultimate way of experiencing Rise, unless there are some additional qualities added to the Xbox X version?
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote