Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 18-01-18, 13:04   #81
Grimaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007
Then that's assuming her saying Americanism are deliberately written that way and not oversights, like kier suggests.
The lead writer is English, though, right? Crystal might have changed the script slightly for American players' sake, or she wrote Lara using those terms to save the hassle. Either way, it was probably deliberate on somebody's part, which makes sense for the character given the amount of travelling she's done by 21, and having American friends.

I would've preferred she use the English words, too, but I'm alright with the little things they managed to slip in, like calling Roth a "northern bastard".
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 13:28   #82
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
The lead writer is English, though, right? Crystal might have changed the script slightly for American players' sake, or she wrote Lara using those terms to save the hassle. Either way, it was probably deliberate on somebody's part, which makes sense for the character given the amount of travelling she's done by 21, and having American friends.

I would've preferred she use the English words, too, but I'm alright with the little things they managed to slip in, like calling Roth a "northern bastard".
I don't know about Rise, but for TR'13 CD used their in-house writer John Stafford for stuff Lara says during gameplay, so things like lever "lehver" or escalator. Rhi apparently wrote more of the cutscenes. John Stafford was credited as Senior Narrative Designer for the game. Rhianna was credited as Lead Writer, but I don't think she had as much say as people think.

Last edited by Rai; 18-01-18 at 13:33.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 13:35   #83
Grimaldi

Oh, well, forget what I said then.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 13:38   #84
Rai

Well, I don't think you're wrong about CD using American terms on purpose.
Old 19-01-18, 01:34   #85
tokidoki

I am not here to judge (especially in my position as long-time lurker, some-of-the-time poster) but I wonder how many of the people criticising Camilla are actually British?

WAIT! Don't take offence!

I'm asking because a lot of my international friends have a very fixed idea of how we Brits speak (a sort of Del Boy inspired 'Cor blimey guvner, up the apples and pears', or 'One is very pleased to have shot you to pieces Mr Mathias. Do please call again soon', a la Queen Elizabeth during her Christmas Day speech).

In truth, we have a lot of different accents. London alone has at least four billion (I may be exaggerating for comic effect) and a lot of words are pronounced differently depending on where you're from. As an aside, never get a Northerner and a Southerner into a conversation about how to say the word 'bath' because you'll never leave. On a lighter note, my friend has a party trick where he can tell pretty precisely where someone grew up in London.

Anyhoo, Camilla speaks a lot like me and a lot of my friends. Largely because we grew up on a diet of The Simpsons and Futurama. I certainly never noticed anything out of the ordinary while playing the game.
tokidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-18, 01:41   #86
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
I am not here to judge (especially in my position as long-time lurker, some-of-the-time poster) but I wonder how many of the people criticising Camilla are actually British?
If I remember correctly I saw a poll a long time ago. It had four options: I'm British and I like her voice, I'm British and I don't like her voice, I'm not British and I like her voice and I'm not British and I don't like her voice. I don't remember were this poll was or whether it was on this board or another...

Anyway, the percentage of British people who didn't like her voice was larger than non-British people.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-18, 01:56   #87
Rai

Well there's liking her voice and distinguishing it as being a British accent.
Old 19-01-18, 04:15   #88
tokidoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
If I remember correctly I saw a poll a long time ago. It had four options: I'm British and I like her voice, I'm British and I don't like her voice, I'm not British and I like her voice and I'm not British and I don't like her voice. I don't remember were this poll was or whether it was on this board or another...

Anyway, the percentage of British people who didn't like her voice was larger than non-British people.
Might have been on this one - some vague memory is stirring inside the ruined stormdrain of my mind.

I guess what prompted me to post was the fact people keep bringing up her accent, and yet I have many British friends who have never lived anywhere else, who sound a lot more American than Camilla simply because we have all been brought up on Britney Spears and The Simpsons. Most of my friends don't even realise when they use Americanisms, because they've been saying them so long they've forgotten where they're from.

Also, this topic intrigues me because I teach evening classes to non-native speakers who are genuinely fascinated by the difference between British English and American English and ask me all sorts of difficult questions on it.
tokidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-18, 04:51   #89
Error96

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
I am British if it helps.
Error96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-18, 05:21   #90
robm_2007

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=215457

It's pretty unreliable, as the non-English are about tied if they think she's convincing or not, but more English think she doesn't, than English who do.

That said, hey accent sounded the same in Blood Ties, but I just started Baba Yaga and Lara has a few sentences then and they sound distinctly and profoundly different and more British, like she flipped a switch! Certain words sounds so enunciated in a certain way. It's weird.

But I wonder if Scottish, Welsh, N./Irish chief as "non-English"? I would think they'd still be a decent source as to if she sounds English (or anything British) or not.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote