www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 16-01-18, 23:49   #11
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak
She's adventurous by heart, different than Reboot Lara, which just wants to clear her father's name. She doesn't really look interested in Adventures to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry22 View Post
Reboot Lara is doing things for the sake of her dad (yawn).
"I'd finally set out to make my mark...to find adventure."

I'm frustrated with her parents being referenced so often, too, but do we need to keep repeating that reboot Lara only adventures in her father's name when it's not the case?

I don't think they're similar. Classic Lara is more about the thrill and sport than the nerdier side of ancient ruins and cultures, which reboot Lara shows. The former's more ballsy and confident, where the latter is more cautious and attentive.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-18, 04:08   #12
matrix54
Tomb Raider

That's the case because that's what it devolved into. Throughout the reboot, she's consistently comparing herself to her father. "I'm not that kind of Croft." Don't let that line about her making her own mark fool you. If her father wasn't important to her development, he wouldn't have been mentioned.

From Core Lara's inception, one thing had remained true - she does what she does for the sake of the adventure, and nothing more. Setting out on adventures with Von Croy still reinforces the belief that Lara is naturally curious, as well as highlights various portions of her adult personality. TR5's portion still caries forth the same behavior - Adventure.

At the start of Reboot, Lara isn't there for adventure, she's there to learn. She states, quite clearly, she's not there for adventure, but only does so because she has to. She's huddled over a campfire, shivering over a radio barely half an hour into the game.

Meanwhile, Core Lara is running through Cambodia, jumping over spikes, dodging dart traps, racing Von Croy to an artifact. The only line of doubt she utters is the tomb looking creepy, and insists Von Croy goes first. She then steals a backpack from a dead body. Because.

Last edited by matrix54; 17-01-18 at 04:10.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-18, 09:55   #13
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
At the start of Reboot, Lara isn't there for adventure, she's there to learn. She states, quite clearly, she's not there for adventure, but only does so because she has to. She's huddled over a campfire, shivering over a radio barely half an hour into the game.
She states, quite clearly, the she is setting out to make her mark and find adventure.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Core Lara is running through Cambodia, jumping over spikes, dodging dart traps, racing Von Croy to an artifact. The only line of doubt she utters is the tomb looking creepy, and insists Von Croy goes first. She then steals a backpack from a dead body. Because.
The biggest obstacle she had to face in Cambodia were 2 boars. A comparison between the Ireland section from TRC and Reboot is more apt.
Old 17-01-18, 12:54   #14
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix54
Throughout the reboot, she's consistently comparing herself to her father. "I'm not that kind of Croft."
And she's not like him, not entirely. Intellectually, sure, they share similar interests and pursuits, but Richard was mousy and non-combative. He didn't have the same adventurous, ballsy attitude Amelia or Lara have.

He's important to her development and background, but he's not her sole motivation to do anything.

Quote:
At the start of Reboot, Lara isn't there for adventure, she's there to learn. She states, quite clearly, she's not there for adventure, but only does so because she has to.
Have a read of Sam's journal:

We had so many awesome adventures together. That insane backpacking trip through Bulgaria, I was always dragging her out to clubs. And the hiking trip on the south face of Kilimanjaro; all Lara wanted to do was explore ruins, but who knew we'd run into so many cute guys? Certainly not Lara, haha!

If she only enjoyed learning and not adventuring, why join the Endurance crew at all? Why hike, mountain climb, and learn to use firearms? Why go on adventures with Sam? None of those have anything to do with her father.

Quote:
She's huddled over a campfire, shivering over a radio barely half an hour into the game.
It's almost as if she's freezing, having survived a ship wreck, severe physical pain, finding a sacrificed girl and being attacked by a crazed murderer.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-18, 13:49   #15
Dennis's Mom

I've always felt at their core (*cough*) they were different beings.

Young Lara as presented in TR5 wants an adventure. The fact it's unwise or could be dangerous simply makes it more alluring.

Reboot Lara is about as by the book as you can make her. Wanting to "make one's mark" doesn't impress me as being particularly edgy. It sounds like idealism or perhaps redemptive knowing what we know now about her father.

If Reboot Lara had more of Young Lara in her, I think she would appeared far more invigorated by the danger and the mystery of the island. Instead, she simply gets mad, sad or rescues her friends. The ultimate mystery of the island is only revealed to Lara by coincidence because she's rescuing her friend, not because she doggedly pursued the mystery. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't think Reboot Lara ever gets on a boat again, so traumatized do they make her seem during the experience.
Old 17-01-18, 19:08   #16
matrix54
Tomb Raider

Where in reboot does it sound like Lara wants to be where she is?

Meanwhile, in Cambodia...

Now, here we have Lara in Yamatai...

Lara and Von Croy are competing to collect something. There's a little more going on here than two wild boars. Von Croy even tries his hardest to prevent Lara form winning, only to end in a cave in.

Lara, in the reboot, isn't at all competitive. She's not there for sport. She did what had to do to survive, but she does not want to be there. She would have taken the first boat out. Technically, she did.

Core has always made Lara's goals clear. She likes to talk the line between life and death. Reboot Lara does not. Reboot Lara is there to learn and explore, not for the thrill.

That last word is the difference. The thrill.

-----------------

Oh, and don't get me started on someone trying to kill Lara. Lara spends the duration of The Old Mill killing things that try to kill her.

Last edited by matrix54; 17-01-18 at 19:13.
Old 17-01-18, 19:12   #17
Blue_light
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
"I'd finally set out to make my mark...to find adventure."
"But instead adventure found me."

And we all know how it turned out. There was nothing exciting about this so called adventure. Lara just wanted to get out the whole time. She only explored the ruins because she was passing by, or she wanted to find a way to get out.
Then there are attitudes like "Climbing again...great." "Yeah, I was afraid you were going to say that.", which contradict the journal you mention, and are also contradicted by child Lara later in Rise, where we actually see her getting to her father's office by climbing the window, which is most likely positioned really high. One would think she would enjoy the adrenaline.

--
But thinking about the topic at hand, it's technically impossible to do a comparison between the two Laras.
TR2013 completely stopped developing her personality hinted in the Endurance segments to favor forced decisions, as the writers apparently think it's synonymous with strong personality, and the result is someone who never really had the chance to show or learn about themselves (and lots of "telling and not showing").

I'll stick to my guns when I say that TR2013 was pointless as an origin story, and Rise could've existed without it, easily.

I blame bad writing.
Old 17-01-18, 20:56   #18
tomee
Tomb Raider

I swear some of you guys are so selective about what details you include as reasons and which ones you ignore. Textbook definition of cherry picking.
Old 17-01-18, 21:44   #19
matrix54
Tomb Raider

Probably because what she's saying and what she's doing are two completely different things. She claims she wants adventure, and to leave her mark. That would be fine had she actually followed through with that.

No one's cherry picking anything. We played the same game you did. Please, give us some sort indication that clearly indicates Lara's love of adventure.

If you want an apt comparison, check out Far Cry 3. Jason Brody is in similar circumstances to Lara at the beginning of the game, but throughout the game (and the game's mechanics support this) he grows to enjoy being on the island. Also, Jason does go out of his way to rescue his friends, but the game clearly expresses that being on the island is a liberating experience for him, despite his friends being in danger. The story makes room for both. Even after rescuing his girlfriend from a burning building, and they're near death - "Yeah, that was awesome," as opposed to Lara was something like "that was too close!"

The same woman who needs a motivation speech or reassurance every time she had to claim a wall. "I can do this" becomes "I can do this", into an "I can do this!" Good for her. Hush up and climb. We've been climbing the entire game, no need for reassurance, yet... it's there. If Lara somehow developed a hankering for slaughtering men with guns and skirting near life experiences, that would be expressed in dialogue. Some self confidence and a little more camp would have helped a lot with her character development. She's more than some girl who studied archaeology, but someone who discovered something deep within her she never knew she even wanted: the thrill.

Where is that? I don't see it.

----------

Actually, let's continue to compared the two.

In Far Cry 3, after rescuing Liza from a burning building, and surving a chase by jeep, with a grenade launcher, here's some dialogue between the two:

Jason: "Haha! We did it!"
Liza: "You think almost being killed, or sold into slavery is 'fun'!?"
Jason: "Calm down."
Liza: "This is a nightmare."
Jason: "Okay, listen. I'm fixing this. Do you know where the pirates took the other?"

That's the dialogue of someone who want to be there, despite the odds being stacked against him and the ones he loves.

In a similar circumstance (the burning building), Lara takes the time to express her vulnerable side in Roth's passing, expressing how she can't survive the ordeal without Roth, despite him never being needed for much the entire game. She still needs those final words of encouragement! "You can do this! You're a Croft!" After that, she just sits there. This is RIGHT AFTER bring attacked. She actively leaves herself vulnerable.

For a normal person, that's fine, but this is supposed to be Lara Croft. Young Lara at 16 was far more pragmatic with Von Croy's supposed death.

Last edited by matrix54; 17-01-18 at 22:10.
Old 17-01-18, 22:39   #20
tomee
Tomb Raider

Lara.... had a companion kill enemies for her, she was dodging static obstacles and jumped over a few gaps. How on earth can you consider that on par with almost drowning after your ship had just snapped in half, barely catching your breath then immediately getting knocked out to be dragged into some madman's cave and yadda yadda.

Am I the only one who thinks this comparison is akin to comparing a prune to a watermelon???

By all means I think the "I can do this" was excessive too and I wasn't fond of some of the dialogue, but these were hardly deal breakers. She still went out of her way to accomplish her goals. Granted they weren't purely for the thrill of exploration, but it's a straight up lie that she's doing things only because her dad started research 15 years ago. You fail to acknowledge a gray area here and that's my pet peeve.

As for that guy from Far Cry; I never played that game, but the way you describe him, he sounds more like a psychopath, than an adventurer.