www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 08-01-18, 22:12   #11
Yeauxleaux
Archaeologist

I'd rather have someone who has had a competent career in politics than another celebrity.

She can't possibly be worse than Trump, and if she really showed somehow that she'd know what she's doing then I'd entertain the idea. On paper though I don't like it.
Old 08-01-18, 23:04   #12
redfox45
Explorer

"you get a bailout, and YOU get a bailout, YOU get a bailout EVERYONE GETS A BAILOUT woo"
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-18, 01:55   #13
Rai

Oprah's Golden Globe awards speech was very rousing and compelling, certainly. If she has any designs for running for president, she'd probably garner a following. But, that's not enough. I don't think celebrities should run for such an important role of running a country unless they've proven political experience first. Perhaps start smaller and go from there.
Old 09-01-18, 03:00   #14
laralives
Professor

I think she won't: I like this quote so much: "Look at America. Why would Oprah want to be President, when she can just be Oprah?"
Old 09-01-18, 03:24   #15
AntRaidsTombs
Archaeologist

I would definitely want Oprah as president
Old 09-01-18, 03:25   #16
robm_2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralives View Post
I think she won't: I like this quote so much: "Look at America. Why would Oprah want to be President, when she can just be Oprah?"
Tell that to Donald Trump.
Old 09-01-18, 05:45   #17
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Maybe. Honestly, I don't know much about her, or how good she'd be as president, but she can't be THAT bad.
Im not quoting you to single you out here ( I see many even in this thread with similar attitude), but can we please nt vote someone for the most powerful position in the world because "they can't be that bad"?
How about we elect people for their political stances (we know ANY of Oprahs?) Rather than because we like them?

Last edited by Lara's home; 09-01-18 at 07:57.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-18, 06:16   #18
Girafarig32
Professor

I do really admire Oprah's efforts over the years, and I share many of her morals and opinions on equal rights, charity, etc. However, she is an entertainer and a philanthropist, not a politician-- although the latter does sound appealing and befitting for a president, it does not mean that she knows the ins and outs of government. Yes, I think she would be a much better president than Trump, but that doesn't mean I think she would be the best fit for president. Americans shouldn't have to settle. How about bringing back candidates who are seasoned politicians and actually went to school to study government, law and policy? Just a thought.
Old 09-01-18, 14:42   #19
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
Im not quoting you to single you out here ( I see many even in this thread with similar attitude), but can we please nt vote someone for the most powerful position in the world because "they can't be that bad"?
How about we elect people for their political stances (we know ANY of Oprahs?) Rather than because we like them?
In my case, I said maybe, because it would ultimately depend on who's running for president and what each candidate (Oprah included) could bring to the table, if you know what I mean. I hardly care about Oprah, at least as a potential president anyway, so it's all a matter of what there is to choose from. That's my perspective on it.
Old 09-01-18, 14:49   #20
Reggie
Tomb Raider

I thought it was a fantastic speech and she has shown herself to be both an excellent communicator and businesswoman, perhaps one of the best the US has to offer (she is no 5 on the list of richest self made women in the US as of 2017). I am concerned that Trump has started a succession of celebrity candidates with no prior political experience. I'd like to see her go for Governor before she goes for President but there seems to be a sense of urgency to put up a candidate who could take down Trump at the next election. With no apparent Democrat successor, it makes sense that people are latching on to the potential Oprah has.

Last edited by Reggie; 09-01-18 at 14:51.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote