Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 15-01-18, 19:43   #11
tomee

I think Angel of Darkness had the best solution for the ledge grabbing problem. You had to press action for her to be able to latch onto anything, but after that you didn't have to hold the button. The newer games have this for rock climbing, but it is not implemented for ledges. I have a feeling it would be a damn mess for ziplining.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-18, 21:19   #12
dinne

*deleted*

Last edited by dinne; 12-08-20 at 06:32.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 10:34   #13
JoelCaesar

I guess they kinda already did this in TRU with the rock climbing sections where Lara climbs like a spider.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 11:35   #14
TR-Freak
Unverified

^I wouldn't call that free climbing though, as it is just a small designated area (just like ledges)
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 13:35   #15
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
^I wouldn't call that free climbing though, as it is just a small designated area (just like ledges)
But unless they use a system like Zelda BotW where literally every surface is climbable, climbing will always be designated to a small area... Even in Assassins Creed you can only grab certain parts of the geometry...
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 14:03   #16
TR-Freak
Unverified

^

How it should be, imo
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 14:13   #17
Mani_Man

Does a "free climbing" system even work in a Tomb Raider that is not fully open world?

If you have a game that is pretty streamlined in terms of storytelling etc, you dont need to be able to climb almost everywhere.

When looking at the first two reboot games, i dont know how much more climbing i would have liked.
The mechanic had its purpose to where it was needed imo.

The one the games have are good enough imo, a bit smoother and more flexible but otherwise they are fine.
If you want then you can add the need to hold a button to climb in honor of the classics for the higher difficulty...but thats it pretty much.

Havent given this much thought to be honest...i just want to see the new game and where it goes.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 15:46   #18
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
^

https://i.imgur.com/j0FRrB0.png

How it should be, imo
I kinda would agree, because it works so well in BotW, but that could also mean that climbing would just be a means of transversal and not part of some platforming challenge. The only challenge in BotW's climbing was stamina preservation, and not actual platforming. I think that, for Tomb Raider, I would prefer the sort of system we already have, just with the tweaks I previously suggested.

And if anyone dares to suggest that because AOD also had a stamina meter it would be okay to have it again, I'll say that that was the worst part of AOD that make no absolute sense and just ruined exploration.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 16:31   #19
kiersaint

Just to clarify, when I said "free climbing" I meant Lara climbing without help from gear ahaha but I also agree most of the world should be interactive/climbable
kiersaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-18, 17:29   #20
Sanglyph

I'd very much like to see Uncharted 4's climbing mechanics copied in Shadow. I think they're the definitive way to do climbing in a modern day AAA adventure game. Assassin's Creed comes close but it's too much of a parcour experience whereas in TR and Uncharted you should have to plan your moves just a little bit more IMO, especially since the reboot is still going for survival type gameplay.
Sanglyph is offline   Reply With Quote