www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 17-01-18, 11:10   #1
l3igl3oss
Explorer

Default Produce color schemes with ease.

Pick a color, any one of them, and place it on top. Look at its hex code and convert it into binary, trade every 0 with 1 and vice versa, convert it back into hexadecimal, place it on the opposite end, because you have just achieved a complementary. I'll give you an example with grey-ish red:

(helper chart)

0 = 0000
1 = 0001
2 = 0010
3 = 0011
4 = 0100
5 = 0101
6 = 0110
7 = 0111
8 = 1000
9 = 1001
A = 1010
B = 1011
C = 1100
D = 1101
E = 1110
F = 1111

#C83737 in hexadecimal is #37C8C8 (grey-ish cyan)

Now, how do you achieve every other color? We have blue and green forming a triangle with red, in case you can imagine it, because they are light's primaries, and the angles are 60 degrees between them, so let's use that to play with hexadecimal.

If you divide your hex code in 3 pairs, then grey-ish red is C8, 37 and 37, but switch their order, and a different color is accomplished.

#37C837 in hexadecimal is grey-ish green (60 degrees from red)
#3737C8 in hexedecimal is grey-ish blue (60 degrees from green)

You can do the same to the complementary color of red as well, which is cyan, whose hex code was #37C8C8.

#C837C8 in hexadecimal is grey-ish magenta (60 degrees from cyan)
#C8C837 in hexadecimal is grey-ish yellow (60 degrees from magenta)

What we have arrived at just now is a less saturated version of a (CMYK) printer's primary colors. Notice that magenta goes well with green, and blue goes well with yellow, when their codes are opposites. Try it on paint or Photoshop.
Old 17-01-18, 11:27   #2
dinne
Explorer

This is cool I've never observer the codes in depth so much.
Well the rules to compose color are many and depend on the context, the quantity per each color you put in an image, and the position. It's a very complex matter, but anyway this thing about hex codes of complementary colors may come useful while using CSS...
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-18, 11:44   #3
l3igl3oss
Explorer

Thank you. In fact, this works better with self emitting light devices, such as your PC and smart phone. There's more to color than we think, such as physiology and natural light, but that's for another episode.
Old 18-01-18, 15:09   #4
l3igl3oss
Explorer

Perhaps the right word wasn't color scheme, but wheel, because perception still plays a role in choosing the right colors. You don't have to change color theory, but the primaries should conform to what the kids are learning, namely light (RGB) and print (CMYK). Those techniques that you learned about complementaries, analogous and triadic colors don't apply, so you have to rely on your senses.

The trick is to stare at a color for 10 seconds and to go around the wheel looking for another, so that you can change between them until the third one appears, and you shouldn't go further than that. If you want a fourth color, then it's better to combine those 3, which ends up being brown or grey depending on your physiology.

Here's a logo that I drew for myself with colors that I am sensitive to:

And this was my color wheel:

EDIT: I messed up the image and the explanation. It has been changed, but in case you're interested, I'll proceed to explain.

Last edited by l3igl3oss; 18-01-18 at 15:43.
l3igl3oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 15:54   #5
dinne
Explorer

Yes I know it about RGB and CMYK.

For composition, if you're interested to, I suggest you this video from this precise point: https://youtu.be/Qj1FK8n7WgY?t=7m30s
It analyzes some pictures to find out what schemes were been used.
I am interested on this matter because I have worked for a brand as graphic designer also composing some photomountings ecc so I really can't avoid to have these rules in my mind and I feel them so harmonious that I can't go away from it! The first time I've studied them it was during a course of photography. Just I've never analyzed the hex codes.

But I haven't understood where you said that these rules "don't apply"... I mean, in what circumnstances?
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 15:58   #6
l3igl3oss
Explorer

The rules about geometric color combinations don't apply, because they were thought for the red, blue and yellow primaries, but since people are being taught how color is formed through light and pigments, the same geometries won't end up in harmony. You can apply different geometric shapes, such as a trapezoid instead of a rectangle, or a triangle whose sides are all different. I'm talking about color wheels produced with these hexadecimal codes though. I will watch the video, so thank you for the link!
Old 18-01-18, 19:29   #7
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Nice, though this would suit the fan artwork section better, or maybe even the TRLE section.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 21:58   #8
l3igl3oss
Explorer

Ok, perhaps I can ask a mod to do that, but this is more of general interest. While not everyone is an artist, we are consumers of images, but even the artist went through an education system, and those who did not could only be exposed to their work, so I'm here to show that the general audience is not wrong in liking a few things over the others.