Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 20-01-18, 14:03   #21
fallenangle

They're two separate things: compatibility and UAC (User Account Control).

You probably don't want to turn off compatibility because the game may not run at all if you do. But if you want to experiment: all you have to do is either right click on any TR3/TLA desktop/Start menu shortcut you have or the Program Files (x86) > Core Design > TR3 > tomb.exe. Choose Properties > Compatibility tab and disable whatever mode is being used by unticking the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box.

The UAC settings are found in the System and Security > Action Centre: Change User Account Control Settings. It is not recommended to turn it off completely and any other setting will still result in the UAC message appearing.

Windows does not have a purposed designed tool or options to allow you to change the UAC settings for specific programs. As described you either have to change the security settings (admin account feature only) using an elevated permission or via third party software.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-18, 14:52   #22
Dustie

Switch of compatibility (which barely does anything at all) in exe properties and always run the game as administrator, that should stop it from saving in virtual folders.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-18, 14:07   #23
fallenangle

I'm the only user of my PC so my account has full admin privileges and it still created that TR3 VirtualStore folder.

However apparently quite often that doesn't mean the program itself is automatically run as administrator because it has different, specific security settings. In those cases you need to change the permissions for that specific program or, easier, use the right mouse context menu: "Run as administrator".

Too much hassle and as long as the VirtualStore folder is not causing any problems, its hidden and you can forget about it as far as TR3 is concerned.

However I've just tried running TR2 as administrator as that, unlike TR3, by default, saves only to the VirtualStore. As Dustie says when TR2 is run as administrator that saves the game to the main program folder instead. Only minor gripe is that the UAC dialogue box appears when you launch the game which doesn't happen if you run it 'normally'.

So thanks, very useful info; wish I'd know about how to change the VirtualStore save location for TR2 earlier.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote