Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 12-01-18, 21:11   #21
Joey79100

Actually from this very angle it looks fine, because we're looking from behind Lara, and the lights are in front of her, so she would be yellow in front, but dark behind. But yeah, it's only on his particular picture that it looks like it could work, because yes, the lighting on her often clashes with the room's lighting on PSX.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 22:34   #22
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Am I alone in vastly preferring the colours of the PC version?

They're so nice and contribute to the atmosphere in such a constant, understated way. On the PC London and the dark Nevada levels are mysterious and intriguing, even Lara's home has a much richer, warm feeling.

On the PS, the colours are so garish and cartoon-like. The contrast makes Lara a black blob running through the environment, not to mention the huge problem with darkness making half the game's graphical nuances invisible.

I miss gaming on my old PC so much, especially when playing TR3 on PS
Personally, from seeing beta images and videos of the ps1 version, I like how it looked before whatever version came along and darkened Lara's appearance. I can't say if the pc version was the same way, however. The only video of a pc beta I found looks like it was recorded from a pc with a 3dfx card.

Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-18, 02:41   #23
Kirishima

Updating this thread with more footage. This time with Madubu Gorge, one of the levels that is often cited as being better looking in the ps1 version.

PS1:

PC:

Is it just me, or do most people that record this game raise the gamma to something like 5?

Last edited by Kirishima; 15-01-18 at 03:12.
Old 18-01-18, 20:42   #24
Lara Coft Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Am I alone in vastly preferring the colours of the PC version?

They're so nice and contribute to the atmosphere in such a constant, understated way. On the PC London and the dark Nevada levels are mysterious and intriguing, even Lara's home has a much richer, warm feeling.

On the PS, the colours are so garish and cartoon-like. The contrast makes Lara a black blob running through the environment, not to mention the huge problem with darkness making half the game's graphical nuances invisible.

I miss gaming on my old PC so much, especially when playing TR3 on PS
You're not alone there, I grew up on the pc versions so its what I am use too. I do like the vibrancy of the PS1 version though really brings the colors alive and makes it pretty. But it does also make it look cartoon-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Actually from this very angle it looks fine, because we're looking from behind Lara, and the lights are in front of her, so she would be yellow in front, but dark behind. But yeah, it's only on his particular picture that it looks like it could work, because yes, the lighting on her often clashes with the room's lighting on PSX.
That makes sense but I don't like when I can't see Lara so that throws me off a bit.
Lara Coft Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 21:09   #25
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
Updating this thread with more footage. This time with Madubu Gorge, one of the levels that is often cited as being better looking in the ps1 version.

PS1:
[youtube/]Ftg4wBkrwQQ[/youtube]

PC:
[youtube/]Eu5uSTtavQE[/youtube]

Is it just me, or do most people that record this game raise the gamma to something like 5?
Not just you. Not sure if the video you posted is an example of that, but I definitely saw footage from TR3 clearly recorded with gamma pumped up to the point there's pretty much no shadows at all.

As for Madubu Gorge, it might look better because of lower gamma and higher contrast, if anything. But that's the case with all other levels, I guess.

I also tried using the trick with lowering gamma in PC TR3 to emulate the PS1 look, but the increment in the setting is just too big - lowering the gamma by just one digit makes some areas way too dark to play.

Maybe after Arsunt finishes work on TR2 and moves on to patching TR3 he could implement some more advanced color settings.

Last edited by Dustie; 23-01-18 at 19:26.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 21:44   #26
Lara Coft Baby

I've never really messed with the gamma on tomb raider games. I did once with tomb raider 3 in the PC version I had it so high that it made the blood look pink and it was weird. I couldn't figure out why it was pink for the longest till I learned what gamma was.
Lara Coft Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-18, 11:09   #27
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
As for Madubu Gorge, it might look better because of lower gamma and higher contrast, if anything. But that's the case with all other levels, I guess.

I also tried using the trick with lowering gamma in PC TR3 to emulate the PS1 look, but the increment in the setting is just too big - lowering the gamma by just one digit makes some areas way too dark to play.
I agree with you, after a bunch of testing with dgvoodoo2. Raising the brightness level in the dgvoodoo control panel makes the backgrounds match the ps1 version more, except Lara ends up sticking out like a sore thumb. I used to think there was something extra going on because of this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veratinum View Post
Of course the lighting is different and in my opinion the PSX version handles lighting better. One of the differences is that it uses something my emulator's graphics plugin calls "Advanced blending".
Here it's enabled. This is how real PSX display (without custom resolution and filtering of course !):

And here it's disabled. The game starts to look like the PC version !

I'd post a picture, but I can't because prtscr won't capture my screen and the built in ingame capture hates widescreen just like my oblivion game.

Last edited by Kirishima; 23-01-18 at 12:11.
Old 23-01-18, 19:12   #28
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Maybe after Arsunt finishes work on TR2 and moves on to patching TR3 he could implement some more advanced color settings.
Ah-ha. Thanks for the idea, it seems task is quite simple. Just playing with blending modes.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-18, 19:26   #29
Dustie

Great Forgive me I keep getting your name wrong, I'll try to get it right from now on
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-18, 22:50   #30
Kirishima

Turns out I already had a suitable program for capturing images, and it was filling it's destination folder with lots of unintentional captures due to the button it used...

Here's an image with dgvoodoo's brightness setting at 165: