Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 07-01-08, 03:43   #1
n0abs0lut

Default Lara's Backstory?

Ok so.. I've been playing Tomb Raider since I was like 7 and as far as I know Lara has two pasts. In one her father is Henshingly Croft.. He was an aristocrat, not an archaeologist. Also, she was engaged to marry some Duke, but their plane crashed after a skiing trip and after being on her own for two weeks in the mountains she came back and decided to change her life. Her parens then disowned her. The second stoy is that her father was an archaeologist and the two of them were really close. The first story is the one in my Lara Croft Book that Prime made in 1998 after the first two games. The second one I started hearing about after the Tomb Raider movies... I personally prefer the first one. What about you?
n0abs0lut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 03:45   #2
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

I prefer the second one.....

The first one is just eh......
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 03:46   #3
PARANOIA

The second one denies the existence of any of the classic games after Toby Gard left.

Therefore, I prefer the first one.
PARANOIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 03:46   #4
n0abs0lut

Really? I like the first one because it's more Lara-like.
n0abs0lut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 04:28   #5
Librarian

I like the first one better, and here's why.

The second (Legend/Crystal Dynamics) biography has Lara experiencing a trauma of sorts - a plane crash in Tibet, then being responsible for the disappearance of her mother. She spends her life trying to find her mother, thereby assuaging her guilt. She doesn't raid tombs for enjoyment, for sport, or for a love of history (though she does have a love history, no doubt imbued by her father, it isn't the reason she does what she does). She does it for love of her parents, which is sweet, but ultimately she is still that scared child who watched her mother disappear and can't move on - everything she does revolves around her mothers disappearance all those years ago.

The first (Core Design) biography, on the other hand, has Lara raised as a rich, no doubt spoiled young heiress, with a keen mind and a future steeped in aristocracy. It isn't until she is older (about 19, was it?) that she experiences a plane crash. However, instead of being traumatised by the events following a horrific accident in tibet, she fights for her survival, and damn well wins. She is forever changed by the incident, because she's done what few people in our society have to do - fought for and won her life, which she now appreciates more than ever and is determined to live it the way she wants to. An honest to god strong, independent woman is born whose purpose in life is to now feel alive by exploring, discovering and even saving the world.

To me, a Lara with this backstory is ultimately stronger than a Lara with the Legend/CD backstory, because the Lara who raids for sport does it by choice, and Lara who raids for Amelia Croft does it because she feels obligated.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 05:05   #6
rowanlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I like the first one better, and here's why.

The second (Legend/Crystal Dynamics) biography has Lara experiencing a trauma of sorts - a plane crash in Tibet, then being responsible for the disappearance of her mother. She spends her life trying to find her mother, thereby assuaging her guilt. She doesn't raid tombs for enjoyment, for sport, or for a love of history (though she does have a love history, no doubt imbued by her father, it isn't the reason she does what she does). She does it for love of her parents, which is sweet, but ultimately she is still that scared child who watched her mother disappear and can't move on - everything she does revolves around her mothers disappearance all those years ago.

The first (Core Design) biography, on the other hand, has Lara raised as a rich, no doubt spoiled young heiress, with a keen mind and a future steeped in aristocracy. It isn't until she is older (about 19, was it?) that she experiences a plane crash. However, instead of being traumatised by the events following a horrific accident in tibet, she fights for her survival, and damn well wins. She is forever changed by the incident, because she's done what few people in our society have to do - fought for and won her life, which she now appreciates more than ever and is determined to live it the way she wants to. An honest to god strong, independent woman is born whose purpose in life is to now feel alive by exploring, discovering and even saving the world.

To me, a Lara with this backstory is ultimately stronger than a Lara with the Legend/CD backstory, because the Lara who raids for sport does it by choice, and Lara who raids for Amelia Croft does it because she feels obligated.
Well said. The first biography clearly showed how Lara came to be a tough lady, it wasn't imprinted in her DNA or something...she had endured hardships to become what she is, which is something realistic & we can relate better to that
rowanlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 07:24   #7
Mad Tony

I prefer the first one because I feel the second one isn't a biography of the character we all came to know and love.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 10:10   #8
ajrich17901

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
I prefer the first one because I feel the second one isn't a biography of the character we all came to know and love.
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote